George W. Bush Defends PRISM: 'I Put That Program In Place To Protect The Country' - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-13, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Default George W. Bush Defends PRISM: 'I Put That Program In Place To Protect The Country'

Color me not shocked in the least.

From: George W. Bush Defends PRISM: 'I Put That Program In Place To Protect The Country'

Former President George W. Bush defended PRISM, the Internet spying program that began under his administration but remained secret until The Washington Post and The Guardian revealed its existence last month.
"I put that program in place to protect the country. One of the certainties was that civil liberties were guaranteed," Bush told CNN in an interview airing Monday. "I think there needs to be a balance, and as the president explained, there is a proper balance."

PRISM began under Bush in 2007 and has continued under the Obama administration. The program allows the National Security Administration to collect internet and email data from the nation's biggest technology companies.

Bush spoke with CNN from Zambia, where he and his wife, Laura, are renovating a health clinic. The comments were his first since news about PRISM was made public, and his reflexive, nonspecific defense of the program will likely add to critics' case that it was approved with little oversight or debate.

Bush also said that Edward Snowden, who leaked the existence of the program to the newspapers and is currently believed to be in the transit zone of the Moscow airport, had harmed national security.

When asked if he is a traitor, Bush said, "I know he damaged the country."

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 12:06 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Oh shit teh governments are spyin' on me.

All they're gonna get off me is german trannies getting gangraped by thai ladyboys and that I enjoy playing warhammer. "They know my credit card though"; what they going to do with it, go shopping on Amazon?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 12:46 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
All they're gonna get off me is german trannies getting gangraped by thai ladyboys and that I enjoy playing warhammer. "They know my credit card though"; what they going to do with it, go shopping on Amazon?
That actually sums up my feelings about it all. What are they going to do about my completely legal personal life? Absolutely nothing.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Oh I just posted this because I find it funny that Obama is being blasted for something Bush started again.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 01:27 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Oh I just posted this because I find it funny that Obama is being blasted for something Bush started again.
I'm not blaming anyone (as I said, I'm personally fine with it), but I think the ones doing the blaming (at least ought to be) blaming Obama for not stopping it if they're blaming him for anything.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 07:20 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

TBH I would be more shocked if the NSA wasnt doing PRISM before it became offically sanctioned by the president in 2007.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 10:51 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I hope they have something similar here in aus. As mentioned previously, they will note I have an interest in 40k, jaguar cars and cycling, and I generally pay my bills on time and am now divorced and happy. Oh no, most people I know already know all that about me.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 11:34 PM
Feed

They can know whatever they want about me, as long as they don't try to stop me.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-13, 12:31 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

The thing is, even if most people haven't ever done a single thing that they wouldn't want anyone knowing about (which I find hard to believe...even if something isn't illegal it can still be embarrassing, could still potentially get you fired, cause you personal problems, etc), that doesn't mean people who DO have things they don't want the government knowing about are bad people who deserve whatever they get.

The thing about this program is that it opens up the potential for abuse and selective enforcement.

Sure, 98% of the people may have nothing to worry about...unless they start speaking out against the government.

Now suddenly all their records are on display. Are you sure you did all your taxes properly last year? Didn't forget to claim that scratch ticket winner you called your brother to brag about last summer? You sure that home renovation you did yourself was totally up to code when you called your uncle the handyman for advice on it? You didn't text your gaming buddies about finding a collection of PDFs for old, out of print game books? You didn't download a single MP3 you shouldn't have or torrented an episode of your favorite show that the DVR forgot to record?

Even if you personally aren't guilty of any small, petty little infractions...do you feel that your best friend who does some of those things from time to time deserves to be suddenly targeted with fines and jail time simply because he called his brother to bitch about how much he hates the president?

Or worse...what if you have a friend that, unbeknownst to you, likes to make his own fireworks for the 4th of July...well, now you have hundreds of calls to and from a suspected bomb maker on yoru record. If he gets busted with a sack of illegal explosives on his way to a picknick, now suddenly you get pulled out of work by men in suits with serious questions. Ok, fine, you didn't do anything...but now you're under federal investigation. your boss would rather not have that kind of heat around or be associated with someone who palls around with terrorists. You;re ultimately cleared, but now you need a new job.

Well, that could happen. Not necessarily that it is happening now (though there are a few cases that suggest otherwise), but it could. You may trust this administration, but what about the next one? What if another 9/11 happens and the nation goes security-mad and uber-patriotic again?

I'm not losing much sleep over it myself because it's already been going on and as much as I hate it there;s not much I can really do...but it is disgusting.

We have a right to privacy, and we have the presumption of innocence. Or at least we're supposed to.
What's wrong with requiring the government to get a warrant from a judge and demonstrate reasonable grounds for suspicion before having access to pretty much everything you say and do?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-13, 01:55 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
We have a right to privacy, and we have the presumption of innocence. Or at least we're supposed to.
What's wrong with requiring the government to get a warrant from a judge and demonstrate reasonable grounds for suspicion before having access to pretty much everything you say and do?

The better question is why are people so keen to give up liberties for a little bit of comfort and security?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Tags
bush , nsa , prism , snowden

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode