Stretched ears - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 08:35 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

There's no such thing as 'too much' Gibson or Shadowrun, my friend.

Speaking of which, you've just reminded me that I should run a Shadowrun 4th game some time over roll20.net.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 11:14 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
There's no such thing as 'too much' Gibson or Shadowrun, my friend.

Speaking of which, you've just reminded me that I should run a Shadowrun 4th game some time over roll20.net.
there is also a new shadowrun rpg coming out via steam this july. pretty excited.

post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 11:41 AM

d3m01iti0n's Flag is: USA

I have an ex who is into all that shit. She has the giant ear holes, and got into the tattoo scene and is all inked up now. She basically hops around from shop to shop for work. The second she steps into the real world to get a job nobody will touch her. The places she can get into give her all these strict rules about taking stuff out and covering up the ink. Then all she does is bitch, gets frustrated there and leaves.

Me, I have a giant ICP tattoo on my forearm. Like, the whole fucking forearm. Whatever, I got it in 92 when I still thought that shit was funny and even though I dont bother with them anymore I dont regret it because I saw a million shows, met a ton of cool people, and its just a representation of that time of my life. I used to have hoop and ball earrings I gauged up to 12s and that was the extent of my piercings. Ive always had dealership jobs and I regularly wear a shirt and tie. I dress really sharp at work, from my shoes, belt, watch, whatever. I thought the earrings helped me pop but one day it was just "yknow Im 30 now fuck this" and took em out and never put the back in. Youll try to hang onto that stuff for the "cool factor" or "eternal youth" or whatever, and then one day you decide to grow up and get paid. Some people are blessed with that dream job you can do whatever the fuck you want. Amusingly enough however Im working at the 5th largest Honda dealer in the US, and when you look at the sales floor the non-inked people are the minority around here. Times are a-changing. But I do not see stretched ears outside of late night 7-11 beer runs on the wastrels buying Parliment lights.
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 11:51 AM
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokis222 View Post
tats and piercings won't stop you from getting jobs you want under this rule.
It is not a rule like that, you cannot pin it down to a certain population or idea. It is not restrictive to one medium and is only exclusive to whatever it is you are applying it to at the time. Yes it absolutely closes doors for you and if you or anyone believe otherwise then you are not being honest with yourselves and not taking a step back and really looking at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokis222 View Post
that is any given population. its not the body changes that stop people from doing something, it will be what they put into it with a large serving of being in the right spot at the right time.
That is what you believe and it is true for you. I stated what I have come to find in my experience.

As far as the ten percent rule goes you are correct it can apply to all things in life not just this. Which I never said it did. Maybe I am not explaining it the way it should be explained.

Let me try again. You know how a lot of people hate wealthy people. It seems as if their go to claim for hating them is that they "had to step on someone to get that wealthy, steal from their workers and never pay taxes..." while this is true in some cases the majority of rich and wealthy people in the US at least got to where they are by hard work and determination. Mom and pop shops or a lawyer and a doctor who are married and save up. What people are thinking is a rampant problem of the wealthy getting over on people is actually about 10%.

10% of politicians are not criminals in their own right
10% of dogs that bite or have behavioral issues are actually bad dogs
10% of people without musculoskeletal problems, arthritis or other sickness will not see overall results from doing squats.
10% of people who come into severe contact with nitroglycerin trans-dermal patches on dogs admitted to the ER will not instantly pass out.

So it really means that in anything where the majority of whatever it is that is being measured, looked at, tested or thought (or even popular beliefs... remember stereotypes are stereotypes because there is a little truth to them), there will always be a minority (~10%) that do not fit the rules or observations of the majority. Of course you also have to take into consideration that obviously this does not come into play in certain situations.

As far as science knows the sun is not 10% cold.
Cutting a persons head completely off... 10% of people do not survive that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3m01iti0n View Post
I have an ex who is into all that shit. She has the giant ear holes, and got into the tattoo scene and is all inked up now. She basically hops around from shop to shop for work. The second she steps into the real world to get a job nobody will touch her. The places she can get into give her all these strict rules about taking stuff out and covering up the ink. Then all she does is bitch, gets frustrated there and leaves.

Me, I have a giant ICP tattoo on my forearm. Like, the whole fucking forearm. Whatever, I got it in 92 when I still thought that shit was funny and even though I dont bother with them anymore I dont regret it because I saw a million shows, met a ton of cool people, and its just a representation of that time of my life. I used to have hoop and ball earrings I gauged up to 12s and that was the extent of my piercings. Ive always had dealership jobs and I regularly wear a shirt and tie. I dress really sharp at work, from my shoes, belt, watch, whatever. I thought the earrings helped me pop but one day it was just "yknow Im 30 now fuck this" and took em out and never put the back in. Youll try to hang onto that stuff for the "cool factor" or "eternal youth" or whatever, and then one day you decide to grow up and get paid. Some people are blessed with that dream job you can do whatever the fuck you want. Amusingly enough however Im working at the 5th largest Honda dealer in the US, and when you look at the sales floor the non-inked people are the minority around here. Times are a-changing. But I do not see stretched ears outside of late night 7-11 beer runs on the wastrels buying Parliment lights.
^This. Put very well.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” – Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

War does not care about convenience or inclement weather. Neither should your training. ~Me (Okay really my brother and I felt bad for stealing it)

Last edited by WaLkAwaY; 06-29-13 at 12:38 PM.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 12:00 PM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Why not? That's the important question.

Frankly, the human body is a rather boring and uninspired thing when you look around these days.

The moment artificial limbs are at least as effective as the flesh? Well, I didn't need my pathetic fleshy legs or arms anyway. Fuck 'em. Let's do this. Time for an upgrade.
I think you missed the point. Functional prosthetics are one thing, but what purpose is served by an extra hole in your ears or your face? To a point they can look stylish, but when done excessively they look horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3m01iti0n View Post
Well this is shit she and others should be prepared for. In my line of work (and plenty of others), we have to deal with people face to face. We need to look respectable. If I had a face covered in tattoos or shiny things pinned to my ears, nose or lips, I don't think I'd be a good image representative of the company. I'd look like a punk and frankly image is important. I do intend to get a tattoo at some point in the next year or two, but it will be on my upper forearm, easy to hide under a work shirt.

This is something that doesn't seem to be understood. It's easy enough to say don't judge a book by its cover and all that crap, but in the real world people will judge you by how you present yourself.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 12:34 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Can't stand stretching to be honest, I think it looks fucking awful.

However, I don't mind piercings if they suit the individual and I'm covered in ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 06:16 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

I know three people who had stretched ears.... I say had as all of them regretted doing it and have undertaken measures to get their normal ears back.

One got them ripped out in a fight... literally the entire lobe gone from both ears... being big and easy to grab, its one of the first things people will go for to do you damage...

Which also brings us onto the second person...like large loop earrings, they're easy to get caught and catch on things... This happened and again they lost the entire lobe nearly.

Third just realised he couldn't get a sensible well paying job with them and so got rid of them so that he could actually afford a life.

Frankly, I'm of the 'it looks aweful' camp with them. The only girls I've seen who looked good with them would have looked good without them, or for that matter, wearing a potato sack. Guys... well guys with them flat out look like dicks.

That said, its your body and you can do whatever the hell you like with it... just don't expect any admiration or respect from me over it.
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 08:32 PM
Septok's Flag is: England

Let me think about it for a minute... uh, NOPE. It's absolutely stupid, and you can't argue with that. It looks beyond stupid, and people really only do it because they want to be 'scene' or 'hipster' or just 'different' - they're following the crowd. The image part is the whole problem.

If you want a cock ring, great, it's your body. If you want an ear gauge, great, it's your body. However, there's a difference. In a business environment, the only way a cock ring could affect you is if it mucks up screwing the boss for a promotion or you get it caught on something and it causes you immense pain on the job. An ear gauge is not only a health and safety problem, but also makes you look immature, foolish, stupid and unprofessional. If you work in the tattoo/piercing industry, it could help. But I really don't see why you'd pay to turn your ear lobes into cut-out frisbees which ruin your job prospects and make you look stupid.

If it wasn't classed as assault, I would happily hang around outside ear gauger haunts and yank them out so hard it takes half the ear with it. At least that way you don't look like a complete fool - bloody tatters of an ear look better.

Finally, don't say 'oh but it's your body you can do what you want to it blah blah blah' because it's not a way to justify the stupidity of it. Sure, do what you want to your body, but don't expect it to do you any good.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 09:14 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
I think you missed the point. Functional prosthetics are one thing, but what purpose is served by an extra hole in your ears or your face? To a point they can look stylish, but when done excessively they look horrible.
I haven't missed the point in the slighest. The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter what a person does functionally or aesthetically, and unless it's personally involving you (it's not, by the way) then there's absolutely nothing that can or should be said about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septok View Post

If it wasn't classed as assault, I would happily hang around outside ear gauger haunts and yank them out so hard it takes half the ear with it. At least that way you don't look like a complete fool - bloody tatters of an ear look better.
Ah, okay. Got it. So you're a coward who cannot look past aesthetics, can't respect a person's personal choice and refuses to stick to their apparent and vocalized principles because you're scared of repercussions.

What was it you were saying about image being a problem? Because the 'tough guy' one really isn't suiting you.

post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 09:18 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

There's a point where I can't understand why you'd want a hole that big in your ear, and I sell spacers at the place I work.

That being said, I also don't understand holding other people to your own standards of aesthetic. If you don't like them don't look at them, but blasting people for looking immature or whatever because you don't like their style...well that's just beyond stupid. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, because spacers aren't going away.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode