is green stuff food safe - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

dragonkingofthestars's Flag is: USA

Default is green stuff food safe

my mom recently had a break in on her storage unit and some china got broken. so i turn my modeling supply to repair duty.

SO with super glue and green stuff I shall fix some old china, and while she said she's not going to use what I fix to hold food and water on the like, I'm honestly got curious of the thought though.

Is green stuff safe to hold food in? say repairing a crack on the inside of a pitcher.

note: if you see me giving tactical advice: just assume i have a internet tab open to 1d4 chan and I'm summarizing off of that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 07:12 AM
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

Not under their MSDS

considering it gives allergic reactions to uncover skin in some cases, i certainly wouldnt be eating it myself, nor putting food near it.

It may be different when it is completely cured however.

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 09:33 AM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

I'd guess it probably isn't that food safe... given its an epoxy resin type material and the hardening agent within it can be carcinogenic, I'd not want to use it just incase...

However.. reading up on the stuff, it does say it can be used for china restoration... but i'm guessing that maybe just for display purposes.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 10:25 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

I thought this was going to be along the same lines as "is play-doh food safe".

I am pleased to hear you are not asking if it is safe to eat greenstuff.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 12:27 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Found this:

Is Green Stuff Poisonous?
Be aware that there is a common rumor as to the toxicity or cancer potential of Green Stuff. Here are Sandra Garrity's comments on the subject as posted to the 1listsculpting mailing list (Sandra is one of the most respected figure sculptors in the world, and has worked for Ral Partha, Reaper, and many other companies):

"The Kneadatite Blue/Yellow (green stuff) is NOT "carcinogenic". That was a rumor started by a competitor back in 1992-3. I have the MSDS on it and anyone can also get it from PSI to see for yourselves what is in the putty.

"After Loctite replaced the PSI formula in 1993, I did work for a year as a consultant to the Loctite Corporation. They had replaced the PSI formula (our "green stuff") with the competitor's product. (I found out later that it was because the competitor priced their product lower) Loctite paid me to work with the competitor to try to bring their product closer to the PSI product---To say that the competitor was totally unsuccessful would be a huge understatement! I finally told the Loctite people not to waste any more money, that the competitor did not have the ability to match the former product.

"I did not know at that time that PSI had been the manufactuer of our "Green Stuff". Loctite Corporation had given me the story that they'd stopped using the original formula because it caused cancer(A LIE!) and that it was made overseas(ALSO A LIE!)

"Later, after I'd given up trying to get Loctite's other manufacturer to match the "green", I contacted PSI to order their Blue/white putty and found out that PSI--Polymeric Systems Inc., was the manufacturer of the "Green". I told them what I'd been told by Loctite and the other manufacturer about the "Green Stuff" causing cancer. They sent me the MSDS on the "green stuff" and it came to light that the competitor and Loctite were spreading a totally false story about the PSI product causing cancer.

"*A note to all*--do not blindly believe rumors! --check it out before you believe what you read or hear. The truth is out there! Look for it!"

Sandra L. Garrity
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 12:38 PM
Feed

From the index page this reads "Is green stuff food..." I was expecting something funnier.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 12:51 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

For a repair on china you would probably be better off using ultra fine milliput (I think its the white one), its designed for the job of repairing china and will make the job easier.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

dragonkingofthestars's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
For a repair on china you would probably be better off using ultra fine milliput (I think its the white one), its designed for the job of repairing china and will make the job easier.
that sounds nice, but unfortunately, I lack miliput, all I have is green stuff, should I wait and try to hunt some of the Ulltra fine miliiput or should I do what I can with green stuff?

note: if you see me giving tactical advice: just assume i have a internet tab open to 1d4 chan and I'm summarizing off of that.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-13, 06:23 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

I'd wait and get the milliput mate, its the right stuff for the job and not expensive either to be honest. A lot of hardware places sell it or failing that its always available cheap on ebay.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 04:11 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Green stuff is not great at staying perfectly bonded at high temperatures, so would not be ideal for something intended to hold hot drinks, or be washed at high temperatures.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode