Pointless VENTING - Page 526 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

 25Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #5251 of 6057 (permalink) Old 08-30-14, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
SwedeMarine's Avatar
SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bothell WA
Posts: 1,665
Reputation: 56
Default

Enough said


Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

SwedeMarine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5252 of 6057 (permalink) Old 08-30-14, 01:59 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
 
Tawa's Avatar
Tawa's Flag is: Scotland
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 8,723
Reputation: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Enough said



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Tawa is offline  
post #5253 of 6057 (permalink) Old 08-30-14, 02:21 PM
Vaz
Senior Member
 
Vaz's Avatar
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 12,830
Reputation: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Enough said

Looks like fun, lets try it.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Vaz is offline  
post #5254 of 6057 (permalink) Old 08-30-14, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Alsojames's Avatar
Alsojames's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere, doing something
Posts: 2,386
Reputation: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
I'm wondering at her last all caps statement "TWO PEOPLE INVOLVED!?" Yeah, there are two involved. The rapist, and the one being raped. I guess she thought you meant the rapist was involved with a woman that was "asking to be raped" or something along those lines. Doesn't seem to be a hard conclusion to reach, I suppose, since she was going on with the whole victim blaming spiel. Dunno how she missed your point though. It was pretty clearly stated. Also there was a name right near the beginning in one of the comments that wasn't censored.
She probably assumed I meant "two people responsible".

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
Alsojames is offline  
post #5255 of 6057 (permalink) Old 08-30-14, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
DeathJester921's Avatar
DeathJester921's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,266
Reputation: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post
She probably assumed I meant "two people responsible".
Thats what I meant, yeah. Doesn't give her argument or hissy fit any more credibility. In fact, I feel it takes credibility away from it. Enjoy your free time Monday man. Let the frustrations of Dark Souls take the place of this frustration. You'll forget all about it 5 minutes into the game

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
DeathJester921 is offline  
post #5256 of 6057 (permalink) Old 08-31-14, 05:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Alsojames's Avatar
Alsojames's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere, doing something
Posts: 2,386
Reputation: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Thats what I meant, yeah. Doesn't give her argument or hissy fit any more credibility. In fact, I feel it takes credibility away from it.
I know that, but in her mind women are not responsible for rape ever. Period. Not even if you believe that they have the responsibility to defend themselves if possible. Because that's victim blaming. And sexist. And rape culture. And propaganda of the Patriarchy.


Quote:
Enjoy your free time Monday man. Let the frustrations of Dark Souls take the place of this frustration. You'll forget all about it 5 minutes into the game
That's the plan

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
Alsojames is offline  
post #5257 of 6057 (permalink) Old 08-31-14, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Deus Mortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition
Posts: 2,071
Reputation: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post
I know that, but in her mind women are not responsible for rape ever. Period. Not even if you believe that they have the responsibility to defend themselves if possible. Because that's victim blaming. And sexist. And rape culture. And propaganda of the Patriarchy.

(Disclaimer: I can't actually get access to the original argument, so sorry if I repeat things)

I'm not sure how you can say the victims of rape are responsible for getting raped. If they are then that is literally the definition of blaming the victim, because you are saying "the victim could have prevented it = it is in some way the victims fault." If she called you out on victim blaming then I'm not sure why your upset because from what you just said, you were.

Now there is a difference between saying that "Women can fight back/use this nail polish/etc" which is fair enough because there are things rape victims can do to be on the look out, but that doesn't make it their fault when it does happen since all those things are secondary defences. The primary cause of rape, and thus where all the blame lies, is with the rapist.

Now I'm not sure how unreasonable this girl was (see the disclaimer) but, I can hypothesise that if she cares deeply about this subject/is a survivor herself (which statistically is not unlikely) then you saying "Well, the victims are sometimes to blame." May well have been really upsetting for her and might have confirmed, in her mind, that you are not the person she thought you were. And if she doesn't want to be friends with someone who wants to ascribe blame to rape victims, that's her choice. It's not unreasonable.

Now, if someone cares about a subject it is possible they will be overly sensitive to it and more offended by it than other things. That's not "PMS", that's just people. We all have our pet subject which we will defend come hell or high water. So she may have slightly over reacted. However, I suspect that she probably called you out on some things you don't agree with and hence she was being "unreasonable". I sincerely doubt you are the paragon of virtue you portray yourself as, just because people never are.

It's possible that words were misinterpreted over text-based medium, so I would advise trying to have a verbal conversation to try an hash out this friendship, if that's your aim. If not, or if afterwards she still wants to end your friendship, as painful as that may be for both of you (since, if she's as good of a friend as you say, she will be sad about it too I'd wager), you have to respect that. If not, then you become a victim-blaming misogynist who can't respect when women tell him no. Which is a very bad and very frightening person to know, especially if you are a woman.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
Deus Mortis is offline  
post #5258 of 6057 (permalink) Old 08-31-14, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Alsojames's Avatar
Alsojames's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere, doing something
Posts: 2,386
Reputation: 6
Default

I didn't mean to say girls are responsible for being raped (although re-reading my previous post, I can see how that may have came across), what I meant to say was that in her mind, there is no onus of caution.

Consider the following scenario:
A woman is at a party where she knows one other person. Everyone around her is a stranger.

According to my ex-friend, the answer to the rape issue is not, in part or in whole, "this woman should be cautious, these people could be freaks", it is "these freaks should be educated on why rape is bad".

And this is where I was disagreeing. Yes, education is important on solving the issue wholesale, but women should still be cautious when out at parties or even walking down the street. You never know what kind of monster is walking the same streets as you.

Does that mean if the woman gets raped it's her fault? No. But my whole argument was education != magical instant fix, which was their argument.

Not sure if I posted this here, but this is how I'm seeing their argument:

Quote:
"Guys, we've invented a way to help women identify potential rape situations!"

"No, stop victim blaming"

"But...we're trying to help"

"No, you're supposed to educate the rapists, not invent defensive mechanisms for the women"

"But what if the education doesn't work"

"No just educate them though"

"But until the education starts working, shouldn't women have a way to protect themselves?"

"Just educate them though."

And nobody bothered to tell me that I was wrong, so that's still how I see their argument.


Now don't get me wrong, my argument isn't flawless either. I'm not saying that if women just used defensive mechanisms they'd all be saved from rape forever. But education doesn't do that either. It's like saying if we educate people, evil will be banished from the world forever. It just doesn't work that way.

And I never held myself up as a paragon of virtue. I had an argument that I believed was right, they thought I was a sexist, victim blaming man-pig who didn't know what he was talking about.


EDIT: Let's not turn this into a rape debate. If you want to continue discussing it, PM me or start a thread.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
Alsojames is offline  
post #5259 of 6057 (permalink) Old 09-01-14, 04:07 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
 
Tawa's Avatar
Tawa's Flag is: Scotland
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 8,723
Reputation: 94
Default

One - perhaps both - of my sisters dogs have just guffed in my office. My fucking eyes are watering!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Tawa is offline  
post #5260 of 6057 (permalink) Old 09-01-14, 04:26 PM
Vaz
Senior Member
 
Vaz's Avatar
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 12,830
Reputation: 79
Default

@james , just think - seatbelts. Are seatbelts victim blamimg? Nope. This is seatbelt, but for rape. You are in the right.
@Tawa - cook em. Cook em!



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Vaz is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome