Pointless VENTING - Page 208 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2071 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw View Post
When a person in power comes into a situation, says one thing, more often than not is a hypocrit about it, then get called out on being a hypocrit/breaking rules/whatever else
Would a certain red named someone, in a certain thread, in a certain section, at a certain time today be a decent example of what you mean and cannot mention for fear of reprisal? Hypothetically that is.

Because if that could be the vase, than knowing all the facts prior to bitching or assuming what may or may not have gone down is always nice. And where there is a lack in having all of said facts, trying not to make assumptions is always nice.

Alright so my need to vent is from something thats actually been building up for a few weeks now. I'm an engineering student and this quarter I have a report that needs to be finished and submitted in about six days. Its a report I have had for going on ten weeks now, and its taken all this time to get everything done and start putting the report together. My problem, of our four man team, member four is not pulling his weight. Hell up until last week he couldn't even claim to have done any work. (As of last week has has done a single metallography test and not without another member of the group looking over his shoulder.)

Its a sixty or so page report, where all of the testing done needs to written up. From there we can discuss what the task is, what needed to be done, what was done, and what happened. Only after the bulk of the report is done do we need to work on the summary of the report, what member four has claimed to be working on for a month now with fuck all to actually show for it.

This is ridiculous, what the fuck is going to happen when this report gets done, you show it to someone, and they ask you to go into depth on the spot? There is a reason this is a team report, a team effort, the testing to be done by teams..

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 11:01 PM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

Actually no, that bit was regarding Warseer at which I was banned today. For an idiotic Reason. Though the incident to which your referring kind of appears at least, to reek of the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #2073 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sven Kittyclaw View Post
Actually no, that bit was regarding Warseer at which I was banned today. For an idiotic Reason. Though the incident to which your referring kind of appears at least, to reek of the same thing.
Like I said thought, knowing all the facts (if possible) makes for things being better and not assuming can always be good.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #2074 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 11:28 PM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

In all honesty, I didnt even see what your reffering too, until AFTER I had posted in this thread Darkreever. but your right of course, I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #2075 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-12-10, 02:07 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Alright so my need to vent is from something thats actually been building up for a few weeks now. I'm an engineering student and this quarter I have a report that needs to be finished and submitted in about six days. Its a report I have had for going on ten weeks now, and its taken all this time to get everything done and start putting the report together. My problem, of our four man team, member four is not pulling his weight. Hell up until last week he couldn't even claim to have done any work. (As of last week has has done a single metallography test and not without another member of the group looking over his shoulder.)

Its a sixty or so page report, where all of the testing done needs to written up. From there we can discuss what the task is, what needed to be done, what was done, and what happened. Only after the bulk of the report is done do we need to work on the summary of the report, what member four has claimed to be working on for a month now with fuck all to actually show for it.

This is ridiculous, what the fuck is going to happen when this report gets done, you show it to someone, and they ask you to go into depth on the spot? There is a reason this is a team report, a team effort, the testing to be done by teams..
Oh man, I have just gone through this. Actually, I've already bitched about it in this thread, but I think I'll add a bit more.

We had to submit a design proposal for a robot we were building. There is one particular member of our seven man group who waited until two or so days before the report was due and posted this in our group forum:

so guys if u dont tell me what part im doing im not gonna do anything, i dont want bits of the design proposal missing so someone please tell me what to do so ican get on with it

a) Learn some fucking spelling and punctuation. It's a forum, not twitter or a text message, it's not like you have to keep to 144 characters or something. It just looks unprofessional, and we're all training to be engineers.

b) Show some goddamn initiative. Everyone else had been checking this forum regularly and we'd all divided up the work weeks ago. In fact, I'd stated what we needed him to do only a few posts above this.

c) Even after he had found out what he needed to do, he didn't do it. I ended up doing it on my laptop on the bus ride home and posted it that evening. Twenty minutes later he had posted that he liked my work, and had just made a few 'improvements' to it. He added four lines to one and a half pages, and they made absolutely no sense, and hence were promptly deleted. The sad thing is, we thought this might happen with this guy, so we only gave him a token piece of work to do, and he couldn't even manage that.

d) Once this report had been done and dusted, and we had started construction, his work was incredibly poor. I have never seen anyone so incredibly inept at woodwork, and that includes people who I regularly had to perform tasks for in high school woodwork. I don't know, but when I put a certain amount of effort into my work (which was the circuitry), I expect others to do the same.

I'm just thankful that we do wildly different disciplines of engineering, and so I'll almost certainly never have to work with him again. I can only hope that you have the same luxury as well.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm
post #2076 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-15-10, 02:45 AM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Nomenclature in Chemistry is kicking my ass again. I finally start to get it, then he throws acids at us. Fuck me, because I don't know how to name most of them just by looking at their formulas. It sucks.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #2077 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-15-10, 04:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh I most definitely feel your pain coke123.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke123 View Post
a) Learn some fucking spelling and punctuation. It's a forum, not twitter or a text message, it's not like you have to keep to 144 characters or something. It just looks unprofessional, and we're all training to be engineers.
Now as someone who abhors the use of most text or chat speak, aka word shortening, I can understand doing this in inter-group communication.

Yes you want to be professional in your work, and in your presentation. But between team members you should also practice being less professional when no one else is really watching. I've found more often than not it tends to hold up some work; but thats just me.

Quote:
b) Show some goddamn initiative. Everyone else had been checking this forum regularly and we'd all divided up the work weeks ago. In fact, I'd stated what we needed him to do only a few posts above this.
Yeah, couldn't agree with this more. I know I stepped up when my group was dragging its heels at first. I was most assuredly not the one who got the ball rolling but you can bet your ass I was not left standing there like an idiot when we needed to start divvying up tasks and getting things done.

Quote:
c) Even after he had found out what he needed to do, he didn't do it... ...and he couldn't even manage that.
I totally know your pain in this one. The guy informed us he would do the executive summary, which we were told must contain as little fluff and bullshit as possible. First, and only, copy the guy produces is made up entirely of just that.

In no way acceptable, and nothing else to show after nearly a month of work.

Hell, in order to keep him involved and to at least try and credit him, the guy was tasked with working on one of the procedures and made aware that it is a priority assignment over the summary. Yeah I ended up doing that one, and the test that needed to follow it.

Quote:
d) Once this report had been done and dusted, and we had started construction, his work was incredibly poor. I have never seen anyone so incredibly inept at woodwork, and that includes people who I regularly had to perform tasks for in high school woodwork. I don't know, but when I put a certain amount of effort into my work (which was the circuitry), I expect others to do the same.
All I can say is this is a form of some people trying to work smart and not hard. They know you will do the work and do it well, so they put in the minimum, if that, and ride on your efforts. They do little, but get an equal share. And a sad truth is this works, in the end you may find yourselves wanting to kick him out of the group or not attach his name for credit but find that you have no choice. You wind up having to drag him across the finish line and let him take credit he does not deserve.

In the end, one of the best, and only, options left to you is grin and bear and then in the future make sure to warn others of him. When someone becomes a pariah like that, thats when justice gets met.

Quote:
I'm just thankful that we do wildly different disciplines of engineering, and so I'll almost certainly never have to work with him again. I can only hope that you have the same luxury as well.
What kind of engineering?

Right, so update time for me:

Today my four man group was supposed to meet, in order to put as much of our report together as possible, get shit done, bang out a rough draft, and see where we stand. Well low and behold, member four doesn't show up. Me, I was there working on this thing for close to nine hours, my two other team mates each have about eight under their own belts from today alone. What'd we get done? About 35 of our 60ish page report and the bulk of that come from appendix now reaching part I and will likely see a part J.

More than half our fucking report has been written up to the point that we would consider submitting those parts in the complete report. More than half, and this one guy has contributed next to nothing! I can't actually say nothing anymore, he did the grinding and polishing (though not the acid etching) for our second metallography test. Yeah, for those who know what that entails, thats his contribution so far.

Today though, we got nothing from him. No message saying he would be there, no apology for not showing up, no work, no indication that he is even doing anything; not a fucking thing. So today we made it clear, we are meeting up to continue work on the report tomorrow night, he is expected to be there with work (we have even gone so far to tell him what we want in fair detail) or consequences be damned his name is not going on the report and he will be taking a zero on 25% of his course grade, assuming that would make any difference as is.

Some people though, fucking assholes.

post #2078 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-15-10, 08:47 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Now as someone who abhors the use of most text or chat speak, aka word shortening, I can understand doing this in inter-group communication.

Yes you want to be professional in your work, and in your presentation. But between team members you should also practice being less professional when no one else is really watching. I've found more often than not it tends to hold up some work; but thats just me.
Whilst I understand this sentiment, in this context I must disagree. This kind of slang and language implies we are friends, we most certainly are not. At best we are colleagues, at worst he is a circus animal and i am a rather unimpressed ringmaster (me being the team leader and all...)

Quote:
What kind of engineering?
I am doing a double degree- Mechatronic and Biomedical, probably majoring in bionics. He does Civil. So not much crossover, thankfully.

Quote:
Today my four man group was supposed to meet, in order to put as much of our report together as possible, get shit done, bang out a rough draft, and see where we stand. Well low and behold, member four doesn't show up. Me, I was there working on this thing for close to nine hours, my two other team mates each have about eight under their own belts from today alone. What'd we get done? About 35 of our 60ish page report and the bulk of that come from appendix now reaching part I and will likely see a part J.
Shit that's a big report, how far into your degree are you? Ours was only like 40 pages, and that was over the top. and there were seven of us. I do not envy you, my good sir.

Quote:
More than half our fucking report has been written up to the point that we would consider submitting those parts in the complete report. More than half, and this one guy has contributed next to nothing! I can't actually say nothing anymore, he did the grinding and polishing (though not the acid etching) for our second metallography test. Yeah, for those who know what that entails, thats his contribution so far.
...wow...

Quote:
Today though, we got nothing from him. No message saying he would be there, no apology for not showing up, no work, no indication that he is even doing anything; not a fucking thing. So today we made it clear, we are meeting up to continue work on the report tomorrow night, he is expected to be there with work (we have even gone so far to tell him what we want in fair detail) or consequences be damned his name is not going on the report and he will be taking a zero on 25% of his course grade, assuming that would make any difference as is.
I wouldn't count out being able to kick him out. My friend doing this same course the semester told me (after I had already finished the semester) that he actually had a guy kicked out of his group because, well, he did the same shit as our respective guys. I don't know how it works in New York, but it has been done at my University (being the university of new south wales). He went to the course co-ordinator, who subsequently discounted the offending individual's group mark. I'd look into it, if you have time in between doing this dead shit's work.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm
post #2079 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-16-10, 04:27 AM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Got some stupid shits cutting in line for lunch every fucking day. Same line, same black people (and the occasional white guy). What the fuck? So what if your friend is up front. Doesn't mean you can cut in front of the rest of us like your more privelaged. Fuckers... Making me wait an extra 15 minutes to eat.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #2080 of 6057 (permalink) Old 11-16-10, 04:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Shit that's a big report, how far into your degree are you? Ours was only like 40 pages, and that was over the top. and there were seven of us. I do not envy you, my good sir.
Middle of my fourth year of five (gonna have the status of a fifth year next week once my grades are in, but I'm a year from graduating at least.)

But yeah, quick update: after more work we are now at 46 pages with everything now in the report with the exception of one 'extra' page and half the references still need to be written up correctly. There are still a number of additional images we want to include, and some of the wording needs to be fixed up and added to, but its looking like our report will be topping out in the low 50's or around 55 pages.

Not bad overall, and the not hitting 60 pages comes from a request from the professor in having the spacing decreased. Normally its 60 pages expected at 1.5 spacing, but the request came in for 1.0 spacing and as anyone who has written a +1 page paper can say it makes a difference. (Hell 1.15 spacing sometimes makes all the difference.)

So thats 46 pages at 1.0 spacing, expecting about 52 pages in the end.

On a positive not, the useless fourth showed his worth today by getting that executive summary done right and proper as well as helping me go over the conclusion and add a few things. He also completed one of the other discussion sections, which means his total work goes up by +5 pages. Would have rathered this contribution a week ago, but I'll take good work where I can get it at the moment. Especially when the report is due before 4pm my time this Wednesday. (The clock is ticking, less than 39 hours and 18 minutes before it must be submitted.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode