How do you think moderators should act? - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 07:57 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

LOL, oh wow..that was refreshing.
No, just for the record, Heresy is a private, entirely unofficial forum, run by a private citizen (at his own expense) and staffed entirely by volunteers.

Because we're not paying these people, we don't expect them to put on uniforms or get haircuts or act all soft and cuddly. Modding is hard enough as it is, we try not to make it harder on them.

All that said, we pick our mods from people that are already exceptional and (generally) well behaved. If you weren't already operating on a higher level of conduct you wouldn't be a mod. We just ask that you keep being exceptional.

And because heresy is the runaway prison colony of 40k forums, an exceptional heretic is still going to have strong opinions and will likely voice them in the manner of a grownup conversing with another grownup.

It's been said that Jezlad founded Heresy after he'd been banned from everyplace else. We're the Mos Eisley spaceport. We just pick the best scum and villians to help run the wretched hive.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 09:27 AM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Lux, with reference to the OP and our "moderation" methods I'd like to explain the situation.

Many years ago I was a troll. Not a particularly refined troll such as yourself, but an effective one nonetheless. I'd spend hours reading forums looking for ways to insult and abuse the staff. My time in the army meant I needed an anarchistic outlet - forums provided that. This behavior ultimately led to my banning on every GW fansite out there. (Well every online community I've ever joined in any niche)

Bellends, Warshite, Dakka (dakka don't get a pseudonym because I like them), 40gayforums, Librarium-Offline and Fat Fuck Argos' Power Armour Fappers.

I'm banned on each and every one of them - and I'm proud as punch about that. I created Heresy as a personal challenge to compete with them (and avoid being banned). You could call Heresy the ultimate spinoff board - created by a narcissistic polymath. (look that up, its what I am don't fucking dispute it or you'll get some of this )

My mantra when I created Heresy was a site without Mods. A site where words like CUNT, FUCK, BOLLOCKS and SHIT were commonplace and widely accepted as stalwarts of the English Vocab. After a few months of spamming and fighting with other sites and basically jumping up and down screaming "LOOK AT ME YOU FUCKING MORONS - I'M THE NEW KID IN TOWN" we grew. Really. Fucking. Quickly.

At this point I had to rethink the strategy and tightened the rules a little. I brought in adults like Vash, Wraithy and Galahad to control not only the site, but me. Because back then, I swung that banhammer like Thor on Steroids. I'd ban you for misspelling anything whilst misspelling the ban message...

I've mellowed with age though and I feel we as a site have too, we now have a great attitude towards moderation. We're not a bunch of overzealous morons. I've sacked 4 or 5 mods that let the banhammer slip up their arse. These days I'm usually the one telling the staff to relax and let CUNTS (the endearing friendly version - if you're not British you won't know what that is) like you post your retarded bullshit because its compelling and gets people talking. You to me Lux are worth 20 normal members, every show needs a badguy.

We have the most able, interesting, fair and professional staff in the entire 40k world. You won't find people like "Wintermute" here.

One of the new mods called me a cocksucker in anger...3 weeks before I gave him the staff reigns that shows how mature we are. Stop fighting the system... because frankly - there isn't one. Its 20 friends sitting round a table in the boardroom calling each other names and having fun with the occasional begrudging trip onto the shop floor to sort out the riffraff.

Last edited by Jezlad; 06-08-13 at 09:32 AM.
post #63 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 09:40 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

And it's wanting to read posts like that ^ and deal with people who felt that way that brought me back to Heresy to just hang out and then back into the Hobby proper.
post #64 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 10:31 AM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

and thats Heresy in a nut shell....i would rather have someone tell me how it is, then pussy foot around the houses, i had a father in the army, the army was our families background and you don't get much planer then my father a former Tank Commander telling me as a 16 year old what time to be in, with maybe a five min leeway....he could be flexable...he made it six mins once.

Anyway if i didn't like this place i wouldn't be here and after three years...i can say i like it, the mods speak as they find, i would rather sit have a beer with them then some stuffy senior on certain other sites and at 43 years old think i have had enough of pussy footing abouit
post #65 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 10:44 AM
Icarus Miniatures

imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

*wipes tears* a truly inspiration speech by our fearless leader.

But on a more serious note, I think one of the main reasons I stuck around on heresy was the mods. On the other sites, sometimes it's hard to know who is a mod, what their status is, and all too often you only find out when they're telling someone off.

Here, the mods are easily visible, you quickly learn where you're most likely to see what mod, and apart from occasional giving a member a spanking with the paddle of understanding, mods are just regular posters.

post #66 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 12:19 PM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

It's like I'm really in the Alfa Legion. BRUVA I AM HIT!

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
post #67 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 02:43 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Jez post reminds me why after almost 6 years why I call this place home. I have maybe 1000 posts between all the other forums I am on, including one I am part of a podcast on.

I have had issues with the way some mods have done things but I have to ask myself would they act any different if they where normal members and it has always been a no.

We are a highly functional dysfunctional family where we have members with odd quirks. Some like to put forth some really odd theories, some people paint really well, some people are really opinionated, others put their foot in their mouth. But hey we make it work.
post #68 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 03:19 PM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

Hey be nice to our "ALternative" Mod! He's very fragile ya know?

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.
post #69 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 03:33 PM

GeneralSturnn's Flag is: USA

While I've been to forums where mods behave like whiny spoiled rich kids who use money to make you miserable, I've been to others where the mods are more polite than half the members.

I used to only find sites like that a long time ago, but most of the sites I go to now I rarely have problems with mods.

post #70 of 158 (permalink) Old 06-08-13, 05:17 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

I was hoping Jez would come in and say something and he ended up saying exactly what I thought he would...which is generally a much less polite version of what I would say. :smug:

We're like Jekyl and Hyde, except he's always been the monster and just needed a face man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralSturnn View Post
While I've been to forums where mods behave like whiny spoiled rich kids who use money to make you miserable, I've been to others where the mods are more polite than half the members.

I used to only find sites like that a long time ago, but most of the sites I go to now I rarely have problems with mods.
How does Heresy compare?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode