Why is your religion the 'right' one? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-13, 05:28 PM
So be it.

As youtuber AmazingAtheist puts it, religions take their views and try to make the world make sense in relation to those views, rather than taking the world and basing views off of them. Most religions don't make much sense if you start with the facts, and so most people don't recognize any validity in other religions. As there is very little (sorry to all you believers).

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-13, 07:33 PM
HOGGLORD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: That place, you know. That place you went to that one time, surely you remember?

I've kinda done something that the legionaries did when they travelled. "Genus Loci" It means 'spirit of this place' and pays tribute to whatever god or gods was supposed to be present at the time and place, even if the legionaries didn't know what to call said god or gods. I belive that there is a powerful being(s) which created the universe, to me its the only thing that makes sense. But to what extent that being/beings influences the world, in what manner it exists and presents, how powerful he/she/it/they is, how much interest he/she/it/they takes in human or any other potential life in the universe we have yet to discover or even whether or not he/she/it is sentient is beyond my knowledge.

I know this is right, because, barring aethism (which I cannot comprehend, to me it seems simply impossible), it is the only thing that can possibly make sense

Last edited by HOGGLORD; 06-03-13 at 07:36 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-13, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I think the main reason I started this thread is because I have a hard time understanding why someone has to follow your religion if you view it as the correct one. I just don't get the whole converting the masses thing. The cynic in me just views it as a money/power grab by the churches.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-13, 11:15 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGLORD View Post
I know this is right,
This is the main problem I have with religion, the claim that somehow you can know when clearly no one can.

You can hope you are right, you can wish you are right, you might even pray you are right but you cannot possibly know.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-13, 11:45 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
You can hope you are right, you can wish you are right, you might even pray you are right but you cannot possibly know.
Then there are those who have had some sort of near death experience or have actually died and claimed to have been in heaven for a short time. Even then, who knows whether or not they're lying out of there ass or not. Or perhaps they had some sort of vision or something, in which case its bound to be interpreted differently by different people, but they turn around and say "I know for a fact that this is what it means, you're interpretation is wrong (bible, anyone)"

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-13, 03:46 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

My faith is the right one for me because it is supported by personal experience. I have experienced events that are indistinguishable from the Divine and prayers answered.

As my faith falls into the soft folkish category I do not believe it is right for everyone.

As I am not trying to convert anyone I am happy for people to call my experiences perceptual error and coincidence if it makes them happier.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-13, 04:06 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
My faith is the right one for me because it is supported by personal experience. I have experienced events that are indistinguishable from the Divine and prayers answered.

As my faith falls into the soft folkish category I do not believe it is right for everyone.

As I am not trying to convert anyone I am happy for people to call my experiences perceptual error and coincidence if it makes them happier.
Do you ever take the time to be objective about your beliefs?

I'm not being critical, I spent well over a decade as a Satanist, my beliefs developed as my understanding increased until I found myself with a faith (of sorts) that was very personal to me. It wasn't until I actually sat down and looked at the things that I had, until then, held up as personal truths about what I believed that I began to question the validity of those beliefs.

Could what I had experienced be explained without the need for some form of divinity, was there a logical explanation?

So far everything I have looked at could be explained in one way or another, and for me at least I found that trying to maintain a belief system that was at odds with the facts was self defeating.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-13, 05:03 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
Do you ever take the time to be objective about your beliefs?
After training as a lawyer I spent many years arguing cases in court, so I think two things about beliefs: (1) the product of I think... and What if I am wrong? is always stronger than just I think..., and (2) it is almost impossible to be totally objective about matters of personal interest. So I definitely examine my own beliefs for flaws but do not regard that examination as being perfect.

While Occam's Razor is a good way of picking a hypothesis, it does not disprove other explanations, so I do not reject a belief because it can be explained in other ways. But I similarly allow others to believe my experiences are not the result of Divinity if they wish.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-13, 06:51 PM

I don't know if this helps or not, but just my 2p's worth:

I don't follow a religion as such...to me, it's more of a philosophy. It's one which doesn't disallow the concept of religion, nor any specific religion.
Also - as far as I can tell- a huge part of it is that you don't force anything on anyone.
As such, I might tell people that "I am trying to follow [x]'", but I don't talk about it unless people ask me about it (I'm still learning so I don't have all the answers yet myself anyway).
In terms of "Why is this path right for me?": I realised one day that I had always been on this path anyway, I just didn't comprehend it until then.

In terms of my own religious experiences, I guess they're pretty narrow in that I was atheist for a while, then C of E, then had a couple of flirts with Paganism.
However, the ones where I have seen people be really "conversion-heavy" (and pretty much "This is the way, everyone else is wrong!" are 2 of the newer ones.

I don't know whether this is just a question of "we need money, people = money"?
Or if they had (or have) a mindset of "We need more people in our religion, so the religion has to say 'you have to go out and get more people/have more children/etc' "?
(Of course, this might also be tied to the financial angle, too).

I haven't had anyone from the C of E or Paganism accost me and tell me that they're right & everyone else is wrong (or some such).
However (apart from the 2 religions who accused me of various things and spouted complete rubbish at me), I've not got any experiences of any other religions where other people have joined them by choice instead of stuff like "I was born into it/my family follows it/etc", so I'm probably not a very good person to comment there.

Urgently trying to trace any living relatives of Private Sam/Samuel "Jock" Wilson (Black Watch, No. 6 Commando, UK Army Service ID 2764432, died 10.06.44). Any info/suggestions gratefully received.

"Mockles! Pent on silpen tree, blockards three a-feening. Mockles! What silps came to thee, in thy pantry, dreaming?"

Please check out the HOES (Heresy Online Stories) threads and vote for the tales.
More feedback = better stories for everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode