Question for all: If God does exist, then why does evil exist? - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 01:24 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
So you picked the parts you liked and ignored the rest? Alright. Now give this next question some serious thought, because I'm not trying to offend. Why did you do that?

Because it's part of my personal take on the religion. I personally think that God, the great, universe-creating being that he is, has much more to worry about (like keeping physics in check or preventing the universe from unravelling like a string) than gay people and people getting divorced.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 01:37 PM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post
Because it's part of my personal take on the religion. I personally think that God, the great, universe-creating being that he is, has much more to worry about (like keeping physics in check or preventing the universe from unravelling like a string) than gay people and people getting divorced.
Then why would he have bothered with us at all if he has an entire universe to monitor?

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Then why would he have bothered with us at all if he has an entire universe to monitor?
Who knows? Maybe the universe was empty and boring. Why bother with anything when you have other things to do? (Like warhammer when you have work)

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 02:20 PM
Feed

Quote:
Who knows? Maybe the universe was empty and boring. Why bother with anything when you have other things to do? (Like warhammer when you have work)
So now he's not here? Then we can do what we want. It's been a good few millennia since we heard from him now, are you sure the beliefs set down that long ago can really hold up in a modern evolving society? You said yourself you disagreed with a major chunk of the religion, why cling to it at all?

I honestly cannot see any rationality in your way of thinking. Rationality matters.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 02:59 PM

Because you're asking me questions about God like I know all the answers. Where is he? why does he do this or that or the other? I do not know. Nobody knows for certain. I'm only 17 years old, how can you expect me to know these things?

My point is asking me these questions is pointless because there's always going to be some discrepancy because I don't know for certain. You believe whatever you want to believe, I don't care, but I'm getting sick of people telling me I'm not a Christian because I refuse to be a bigot.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 05:34 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Where is he?
He's everywhere, like in my sandwich. Mmmmm... god with bacon

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-13, 05:34 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Where is he?
He's everywhere, like in my sandwich. Mmmmm... god with bacon

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 03:40 PM

I'm not hating religions or God or anyone who follows them and it's nothing to do with "does God exist", particular beliefs in God (or not) nor the assistance/courage/etc that belief gives people...This is more about "why do we have evil?"

For me, Stanislaw Lem had a good take on good/evil/God in one of his stories (I can't remember it exactly or which one it was, though, so please bear with me):

There's a scientist who claims that he is God and invites a friend over to see the proof of it.
In this guy's lab, he had a load of boxes on shelves, all encoded with different personalities and life paths (some boxes have similar situations, others are different, some lengths of code are longer than others), then a generator affects different boxes at different times, randomly changing the situations that the boxes are going through.
As each box runs out of code, malfunctions, misfires, gets knocked off it's shelf or otherwise needs replacing, he makes new ones.

His friend asks about what's in the code and the inventor says it contains everything that might ever happen to them, good or bad. As a Creator-God, he had to give them both the good and bad stuff.

His friend questions the morality of creating things which he knows will die and suffer inequality, cruelty, disasters, etc and asks why doesn't he get involved and make things better, or just make personalities where (no matter what happens) they all have really long + fulfilling lives, every happy experience and no bad ones, pain-free deaths, etc(?).

The scientist explains that he is God as a Creator...he has given them freedom (from himself) and given them the potential to have everything that he can imagine and which they might ever learn or need to know. Thus, it's not his fault what happens to them and he doesn't get involved.

This isn't necessarily my opinion, but I always thought that it was a different way of looking at things, that's all.

Urgently trying to trace any living relatives of Private Sam/Samuel "Jock" Wilson (Black Watch, No. 6 Commando, UK Army Service ID 2764432, died 10.06.44). Any info/suggestions gratefully received.

"Mockles! Pent on silpen tree, blockards three a-feening. Mockles! What silps came to thee, in thy pantry, dreaming?"

Please check out the HOES (Heresy Online Stories) threads and vote for the tales.
More feedback = better stories for everyone.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Because you're asking me questions about God like I know all the answers. Where is he? why does he do this or that or the other? I do not know. Nobody knows for certain. I'm only 17 years old, how can you expect me to know these things?
Now I may be a little off the mark here, but I do believe you came on acting like you did have those answers; or at least something along those lines.

After all, you did make a thread that was supposed to be a response to arguements against God.

Quote:
I don't care, but I'm getting sick of people telling me I'm not a Christian because I refuse to be a bigot.
Now I may be wrong, so feel free to show me otherwise, but I do believe the only person actually calling you a bigot is yourself. Picking and choosing the best parts of a holy book to follow is rather like picking and choosing the best stuff from several codecies but calling yourself a player of only one.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 06:11 AM

cheeto's Flag is: USA

I think there are a lot of people who have less of a problem with good/evil as much as they do with the concept of free will. Seems to come down to the Matrix. Would you rather be plugged in like Cypher and have a bunch of guarantees or do you want to live with free will and take on the challenges of life as it happens? Perhaps this is a test, a place to experience and grow or maybe it's a battle ground. Who knows.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode