What if you were PROVED wrong? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 09:07 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

As a tangent to the original question, what sort of "earth shattering" events would actually provide definitive proof one way or the other?

Or probably the better question is what sort of earth shattering event would move your (generic poster's) own personal needle one way or the other?

Every scenario I can think of, could easily be countered by one side or the other as not being sufficient proof.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 07:26 AM

Calistrasza's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
Hypothetically, something happens, something earth shattering that proves there is a God. This thing is beyond doubt, there is no way to argue, no wiggle room and no way anyone other than a complete idiot could claim anything but the obvious.
Continue to live my life exactly as I do now. It's one thing to prove any god (or indeed, anything supernatural, ever) exists, it's another entirely to accept anything that god has to say or 'commands'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
[...]Only the most ardent believers who have true "Faith" fall into the binary categories and live, breath, and evangelize their beliefs.
Double post to correct this. Agnosticism is an adjective when it comes to matters like this. It works like this-

Gnosticism/Agnosticism describes what you claim to know.
Theism/Atheism describes what you believe.

For example, a theist who knows a god exists is a "gnostic theist", and an atheist who knows a god doesn't is called a "gnostic atheist".

Agnostic atheists tend to be more common and are generally referred to as "soft atheists", people who can't assert a god does or does not exist, but live their lives as though one (or more) do not.

Last edited by Dave T Hobbit; 05-09-13 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Merged sequential posts
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 06:01 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Same thing I do whenever a new edition of the game comes out.
Buy the current rulebook, study it cover to cover looking for loopholes, exploits and flaws, attempt to get them included in some kind of FAQ update...then never do anything else with it because I'm too busy with other things.
Except I wouldn't have to update my Army Builder files.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 06:06 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

I'd be very much surprised.

Then I'd go to all the atheists I know and say, "well shit, you were right."

Then go to a heavy metal concert to make myself deaf so I wouldn't have to listen to all the "I told you so" speeches.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 06:40 PM
Septok's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post
I'd be very much surprised.

Then I'd go to all the atheists I know and say, "well shit, you were right."

Then go to a heavy metal concert to make myself deaf so I wouldn't have to listen to all the "I told you so" speeches.
A bad heavy metal concert - only the bad ones make you deaf. The good ones make you almost deaf so that you can continue listening to their awesome stuff.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 06:44 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septok View Post
A bad heavy metal concert - only the bad ones make you deaf. The good ones make you almost deaf so that you can continue listening to their awesome stuff.

Well I'd be damned sure to keep my earbuds in and my volume at max for the following weeks

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-11-13, 07:16 PM

Karnax's Flag is: England

If God didn't exist, my life wouldn't change that much, if at all.

If he did exist, I'd probably try and find out more about him/er/it, just because I'm naturally curious.

Sometimes i wonder 'Why is that frisbee getting bigger?', and then it hits me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
If the Imperium found us as we are now, they'd probably declare exterminatus on us purely because of Justin Bieber. Wouldn't want that taint to spread any further than one planet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
The Imperium is crumbling because they're getting attacked from all angles. Why did the Eldar empire crumble? Because they got bored.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-11-13, 07:28 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

I'm going to bet it would have zero influence on my life. Just because we suddenly could prove how some unproductive divinity who, until now, have done fuck all to let people know about it's existence is a certainty doesn't really make me want to evaluate squat.

Unless this "God" has a change of attitude, suddenly start to give a shit, turns up at my dinner parties shooting two-headed monkeys on unicycles out of his arse to entertain my guests and grant me the 11 inch wang I always wanted, God neither deserves nor catches my interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-11-13, 08:24 PM
Keen4e's Flag is: Czech Republic

It entirely depends what kind of god that guy would be. If an omnipotent, omnipresent an omniscient being, I would ask him whether he can create a rock, that he cannot lift and other known paradoxes that rise from these three features.
If he were a kind of deistic god, who just happened to create universe and does not care about it anymore, I would just move along.
If he were the kind of sadistic old testament monster I wold pray that superman exists too and that he can somehow stop him. :D
If he were the gentle new testament God I would try to discuss with him, ask him whether hell is real or not and try to convince him to help people who need him.
I could go on, but I think I made my point.... in short saying that God exists is a completely vacuous statement as long as you are not more precise on which God you are talking about.

The Emperor protects.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-12-13, 11:10 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
...some unproductive divinity who, until now, have done fuck all to let people know about it's existence....
This is the core dispute between atheism and religion; members of any religion have seen their God(s) produce results and offer evidence of existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
Unless this "God" has a change of attitude, suddenly start to give a shit, turns up at my dinner parties shooting two-headed monkeys on unicycles out of his arse to entertain my guests and grant me the 11 inch wang I always wanted, God neither deserves nor catches my interest.
From what I know of Abrahamic religions their God(s) are not very big on quid pro quo.

If you are looking for tangible this-world results I suggest investigating paganisms. Although some have a hierarchical worship structure, many of them barter with God(s) for animal servitors, sexual prowess, and other gifts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode