Detained U.S. Citizen to Face Verdict in N. Korean Court - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
We fly for the Emperor!

ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia

Default Detained U.S. Citizen to Face Verdict in N. Korean Court

North Korea said it will hand down a verdict on a detained American citizen accused of crimes against the state, the communist country’s official Korean Central News Agency reported yesterday.

Pae Jun Ho, who entered North Korea’s Rason City on Nov. 3 as a tourist, will face judgment in the Supreme Court after admitting to the charges, KCNA said, without citing a source. Pae was involved with a Protestant Christian religious movement, according to a Dec. 11 CNN report that identified him as Kenneth Bae.

The State Department is aware of the reports a U.S. citizen will face trial in North Korea, department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in an e-mail. The State Department will work closely with representatives of the Embassy of Sweden in Pyongyang, which visited the U.S. citizen last week. A delegation that included former New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson failed during its visit to North Korea in January to secure Pae’s release.

In the process of investigation, he admitted that he committed crimes aimed to topple the DPRK with hostility toward it,” the KCNA report said, referring to the country’s official name Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

Seems like the Great Leader of North Korea has massive paranoia, thinking that a lone Christian tourist can topple his government. Maybe he knows that his seat of power is not strong enough? I read also somewhere that this guy frequently feeds orphans in North Korea. So much fear in the Great Leader's brain cells.

Source

Army Lists :
Need Advice : 2000 pts GK Army List

Old Army List : 2000 pts GK Army List
Old Army List : 2000 pts SM Vulkan List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 03:37 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

It does make me wonder sometimes, with all the hostility at the moment, between North Korea and the rest of the world, why was this guy even there?

Given the option of a trip to NK, I think I'd pass to be honest.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 08:53 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderHawk View Post
Seems like the Great Leader of North Korea has massive paranoia, thinking that a lone Christian tourist can topple his government.
If that lone christian was Chuck Norris then yes!! On a serious note I very much doubt this guy got a fair hearing, and this is just more aggressive bullshit from N.K to keep the sabre rattling game going and show that the "dear leader" has balls, their usual ploy but me thinks it will all end in tears

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 10:13 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
If that lone christian was Chuck Norris then yes!! On a serious note I very much doubt this guy got a fair hearing, and this is just more aggressive bullshit from N.K to keep the sabre rattling game going and show that the "dear leader" has balls, their usual ploy but me thinks it will all end in tears
Yeah because its not like any other country in the world pulls that kinda shit it is... if he got a trial, even an unfair one then he's got more than some of those guys in Gitmo have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
It does make me wonder sometimes, with all the hostility at the moment, between North Korea and the rest of the world, why was this guy even there?

Exactly. Either he's a do-gooder with all the self preservation instincts of a lemming or he's there to stir shit. Either way my sympathy for him is zero.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 02:45 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post

I believe he's a tour operator, between the two halves. He's got a history of feeding and taking photos of emaciated orphans for aid donations.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
We fly for the Emperor!

ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rems View Post
I believe he's a tour operator, between the two halves. He's got a history of feeding and taking photos of emaciated orphans for aid donations.
Yep. This is what I has read also. Though the situation in North Korea is dire, I believe there are some people are too good (or too foolish) that want to help the people there. Not to mention that he is a tour operator, he must visit North Korea often, that his trip is not scrutinized again.

Regarding his trial, I bet it will be totally unfair. He will just be another bargaining chip to continue Kim's madness and delusions. His so-called "confessions" must be taken under torture.

Nevertheless, if US wants to destroy North Korea using agents, why use a Christian agent? Christians are already widely prosecuted in North Korea, it will be foolish to use a Christian men, where they will be widely pressed and widely scrutinized. The agent's cover and profile is not good if he is a Christian in North Korea, not to mention his humanitarian aids.

If US had agent in North Korea, he/she must be a North Korean, probably high-ranking, and has "close" ties to Kim.

Army Lists :
Need Advice : 2000 pts GK Army List

Old Army List : 2000 pts GK Army List
Old Army List : 2000 pts SM Vulkan List
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 08:50 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

I'm with Jac on this one.
Seems the guy knew the risks of what he was doing but went ahead and did them anyway.
There are plenty of single people in jails the world over for protesting against the state.

While it is quite likely the brand of justice he received is probably not what we would expect in democratic countries, there is nothing that backs up "His so-called "confessions" must be taken under torture."

In all likelihood if he is trying to make a point he'd gladly confess to get his story out there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 06:20 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Honestly, I don't know why China has not simply done away with them or annexed them yet. I mean they keep protecting them even though North Korea puts a bad face to all Asian countries in general. For Pete's Sake they make Vietnam look good, and everyone seems to ignore all the sex trafficking and money laundering that goes on there.

Just saying, China should take out the Kims once and for all.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 06:24 AM

Calistrasza's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Honestly, I don't know why China has not simply done away with them or annexed them yet.
The issue with Best Korea isn't the war, any developed country in the world could have complete air superiority inside of a few days and run over their military inside of a few months at best. The real problem is the fact you then have an absolutely overwhelming humanitarian crisis on your hands. Millions of people who are all malnourished, all educated by a proverbial Ministry of Truth, all terrified of The West, etc.

Everyone wants to push Lil Kim and company off a cliff. Nobody wants to mop it up afterwards.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 09:47 AM

cheeto's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Honestly, I don't know why China has not simply done away with them or annexed them yet. I mean they keep protecting them even though North Korea puts a bad face to all Asian countries in general. For Pete's Sake they make Vietnam look good, and everyone seems to ignore all the sex trafficking and money laundering that goes on there.

Just saying, China should take out the Kims once and for all.
Isn't NK China's proxy? Take out the communist leadership and return the North to the South and that whole situation would balance itself out in short order. Better than a James Bond style super villain with nukes saber rattling.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Tags
north korea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode