Americans demand Piers Morgan be deported over gun control issue - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Default Americans demand Piers Morgan be deported over gun control issue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20838729

Don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand Piers Morgan is a cunt of the highest order so it makes me laugh that his popularity is going down. On the other hand, for once I don't entirely disagree with him. Also if he was deported that would mean we would have him back, and we don't want him back by any means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 08:01 PM

Madden's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's the hypocrisy of those calling for it that gets me as he's only following the first admendment freedom of speech so it boils down to who's rights come first. Over all the gun issue is an interesting question are guns available? yes can nutters get hold of them? Unfortunately yes, so what's the answer, damned if I know, from an English view restrict them if they want to shoot book there guns out of the club or local police station then book them back in, but from an yank view I can't say.
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 08:28 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Tada.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 08:33 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think its a bit hard for Brits to make useful statements on US gun control: we've had very tight gun control for a very long time and its meant that there is an almost complete absence of firearms on our streets: to most of us the idea that you would need a gun to protect yourself is fairly ridiculous...

When (as the OP link says) there are 88.8 guns per 100 Americans there must be a fairly high chance that anyone setting out to hurt someone (or engaging in activates where that might result) would be carrying a gun.

To me that means that there really can't be an absolute stance either way on this issue: obviously allowing people to legally own weapons built for war zones is utterly stupid, but neither can you just ban all weapons in an environment where that would make people almost incapable of defending themselves from he threats they or their families may face...

Then there is the added complication of urban versus rural: what might sound perfectly appropriate in an isolated rural home would be utterly OTT for someone living in a small urban flat in the middle of a large city.

How Obama hopes to resolve these differing situations is something I can't even imagine... but who honestly thinks this is anything other then bluster for the media to help win democratic votes in other elections: with split houses are we really likely to see sweeping changes to Americas gun control laws..?

post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 08:42 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

I may start a new petition for the UK, if he does get deported most people wouldn't want him back here either.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 08:43 PM

So it's now unamerican to voice an opinion?

Don't give me rep, just poke My Bum ... and then give me rep.
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 08:51 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

We knew he was a dick, we tried to tell you but I bet you thought it was Simon Cowell heat, well nope he's just a plain dick, even if I agree with his statement, he's still a dick.

Personally I think it's because he's British and they don't want a British guy insulting their constitution.
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 09:55 PM

Well, regardless of a petition, there's nothing anyone can do about his right to freedom of speech, which is protected, nor is there anything anyone can do about the fact that he is entitled to his opinion.

I'm not saying he is right or wrong, but, he is entitled to his opinion and to make it public should he so choose.

There are those who will take deep seated offense to what Morgan says due to the climate of the gun control topic/issue here since Dec 14. But, that is expected.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 10:03 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
When (as the OP link says) there are 88.8 guns per 100 Americans there must be a fairly high chance that anyone setting out to hurt someone (or engaging in activates where that might result) would be carrying a gun.
The 88.8 guns per 100 is a misleading statistic. Many people in the US own more then a single fire arm (my uncle has a collection of 22) so it's not that there are 88.8 out of 100 Americans that are owning guns, there could be 10 people out of 100 that own those 88.8 guns.
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 12-24-12, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
We knew he was a dick, we tried to tell you but I bet you thought it was Simon Cowell heat, well nope he's just a plain dick, even if I agree with his statement, he's still a dick.

Personally I think it's because he's British and they don't want a British guy insulting their constitution.
Well, that depends on your P.O.V. concerning this topic. Yes, there are those who will state that someone who is not "american" shouldn't comment on such a controversial topic and to mind their own business. However, if it was someone who is "american" stating this then they may be called un-american. Personally, this yet again comes down to Morgan's opinion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode