Addiction beaten? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-22-12, 05:24 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Well I'm only here a wet day, but I also miss the old rep system you felt you had done something really good when you got a big bit of rep from one of the more senior or prestigious members but people always take time to adjust to change, maybe if the rep system at the moment could be changed that you can rep someone between 1-5 points might help rather than just the one point so your level of appreciation for peoples work/posts is shown, after all some people are better funnier or in my case better looking than others!

During the hack sage I was climbing the walls waiting for Heresy to come back and have noticed the drop off since we are back but as was said before we missed the new releases and are now heading into festive season with Thanks Giving and Christmas etc and lets not forget the economy a lot of people holding off getting new minis or waiting to get their new toys at Christmas.

It is winter time troops, time to consolidate and re-org and get ready for spring and the fighting season, have a happy Heresy!!!

Last edited by Old Man78; 11-22-12 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-22-12, 07:29 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Lol and here I was thinking that publishing tacticas was a very quick turnaround nowadays...

Clearly the forum mod should be burned!

Back on topic, I agree on the pain of the rep reset and the rather stagnant state of the forums. As someone who sticks primarily to Original Works aside from occasionally trying to be useful elsewhere, actually accumulating rep simply from the written work alone is next to impossible, and I was quite proud of getting the meager 2k I'd had. But, what's done is done, and I tend to not get worked up incredibly easily over things of that nature. Unfortunately, whatever database was used in the past that could be used to tally the individual +reppings a member received has been corrupted/lost through the hacker-clusterfuck, and Jez has admitted to trying to access/recreate the individual number however it was not possible.

As others have said, all we can do is continue driving on. If you feel as though you can contribute to a thread, be it in the General 40K, WHF Army Lists, or Off Topic forums, post up your thoughts, however unsure you may be of or how little you think you may have to say. Any small tidbit can stir up conversation, and any forum survives off the posts of its members. The online numbers are back up to pre-hacker levels, but post levels are... not inspiring, to say the least. Any input from members on possible site improvements is always considered, and I know that several are currently being discussed.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-22-12, 07:47 PM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

I'm not going to bullshit on this one and make people feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside: I just got bored.

Every time I take a quick look around I see the same dam threads over and over again in the sections that used to catch my attention. The WH40K section used to be interesting most of the times, however every time I look back I see the same crap that floats around the line "Can x primarch beat z primarch?". "Is x primarch capable of this crap?". "Is x primarch really a tranny?"

I could go on on some other things but it's just that I got bored and fell out of interest in all things GW. In fact forums in general I have stopped visiting all together.

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-22-12, 09:54 PM
Well That Was Unexpected

Yeah the rep system going does suck, especially for non-special-super-duper members like me whose names aren't all spiffy. People won't know that members like us had gained pretty good reps and recognition for our efforts over the years.

Maybe a special one off medal for all those with large reps so we will always have something to remember the old system by and set us apart from others?

Anyway, the reason I am rarely here is that I simply quit 40k. I was going to start a whole thread about it (not me quitting, but quitting in general) and have since moved on to the much greener pastures of Malifaux.

Its cheaper on the old wallet, more fun to model, and suits my gaming tastes more than 40k.

I like working with small groups of models so you can't be shot to pieces on turn one, and then each model feels special so you can devote more time to painting and modelling. Plus I just got sick as f*ck watching everyone cum over space marines and their awesomeness.

Even Chaos Space Marines (whose new release I thought was badly botched) are still frickin space marines and the lack of the mechanicum after all this time is retarded considering their are all the different codices for space marines.

The dumbing down and over-stretching of the Horus Heresy series was the final nail in the coffin. I used to love the fluff, but I wish they would go darker instead of always holding back for sales to young gamers with 'pester power' who love awesome marines.

I still check in on Heresy from time to time but 40k just doesn't appeal to me anymore and talking about other gaming systems on here isn't the best.

But that's my own selfish reasons. I really just can't stand 40k anymore after experiencing how awesome Malifaux is.

Last edited by D-A-C; 11-22-12 at 09:58 PM.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-12, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
Maybe a special one off medal for all those with large reps so we will always have something to remember the old system by and set us apart from others?
Excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
Anyway, the reason I am rarely here is that I simply quit 40k. I was going to start a whole thread about it (not me quitting, but quitting in general) and have since moved on to the much greener pastures of Malifaux.

Its cheaper on the old wallet, more fun to model, and suits my gaming tastes more than 40k.
This seems to be a recurring theme amongst gamers since 6th came out. People just couldn't be interested in forging a narrative or making the game more cinematic by walking their troops through mysterious forests. The group I game with meet on a Thursday, and they include some of the top 40k players in Ireland. However, I haven't seen a game of 40k played in weeks, while a lot of them have been swayed to FoW.

I might start a thread in the 40k section about it. Have people been turned off by the new edition, have others seen a drop off in players, does the price rise play a part in drifting away from the hobby, have new systems proved more satisfying...etc. Might get a debate going.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-12, 08:57 PM
Rattlehead

I think that thread content has depreciated. There's a limited number of threads saying 'Help with a question' or 'Advice on my army' that you can physically look at before your soul comes spilling out through your ears. There's definitely something out of place, but what it is I don't know. I've recently taken up MTG, so I've not done much 40k recently, but even if I do I don't take it up with Heresy.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-23-12, 11:19 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Personally I'm glad that Heresy is back online. The local GW is mostly kids and I can't deal with it too well. It's not their knowledge of the game, really. Just their attitudes towards it from what I've seen. Here I have a chance to talk to other people about a game that I have always loved and never been able to include many people I know in. Money and time are usually it. Even if there's three other people commenting on posts with me that's three more people than I have to talk to in my city currently.

Maybe I listened to too much punk rock as a kid to care about reputation points, or just didn't have much to begin with. The 30-some points I had were given to me 'just because' without reference to anything I had posted. I currently have 2 rep points specifically because I 'helped immensely with a BA list'. I feel for those who's egos have suffered, maybe that award to recognize lost rep would be a cool way to help that burn. I'm for the new system.

I may not have the same status of others on this site, but I'm hooked. I'll keep on posting and commenting as often and effectively as I can.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-24-12, 12:26 PM

Fire Lord's Flag is: USA

Has the addiction been beaten? Yep, the site has gone to shit after the hack. I just don't find any pleasure coming here much anymore. Trying to force it now when I seen this thread. Glad I'm not the only one.
On a side note, it seems that if your not in the "in crowd," your opinion isn't allowed. Oh well, theres a whole world to explore.

It's funny when you state a fact to the haters. They always bite.
Haters gonna hate.
Born FREE, Live FREE, Die FREE. No substitute. Never surrender.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-24-12, 02:56 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lord View Post
Has the addiction been beaten? Yep, the site has gone to shit after the hack. I just don't find any pleasure coming here much anymore. Trying to force it now when I seen this thread. Glad I'm not the only one.
On a side note, it seems that if your not in the "in crowd," your opinion isn't allowed. Oh well, theres a whole world to explore.

Wha huh? What do you mean by 'in crowd'?

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-24-12, 05:51 PM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Wha huh? What do you mean by 'in crowd'?
I'm guessing he's talking about the senior members and the high rankers who've been here so long that we essentially tune out from anyone but ourselves.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode