U.S Election Who Should Win/Predictions? - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-01-12, 11:20 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
A republic is a representative form of democracy. There has never been a true democracy. That would dictate that a state be literally ruled by its people.
Look, I'm not going to touch on the rest of it just at the moment (too early here for that), but this is wrong, and you should study your civics better.

'A republic is a form of government in which the country is considered a "public matter" (Latin: res publica), not the private concern or property of the rulers, and where offices of states are subsequently directly or indirectly elected or appointed rather than inherited. In modern times, a common simplified definition of a republic is a government where the head of state is not a monarch, even though most of these have institutions and offices aligned with the classic republican model and though offices may informally pass by inheritance in a republic.'

The USA is a Republic and a Representative Democracy, AKA a Liberal Democracy. Often people just shorten this to being a Representative Republic, but it is important to remember that it is both.

To try and say that the USA has nothing to do with Democracy is a fallacy - not all forms of Democracy are pure democracies, which is where every member gets to vote on every issue.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 11-02-12 at 12:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
The fact you think the class system has any greater baring on your success in life than the money in your pocket speaks volumes about your ignorance DAC it really does.

The poorest in the US can just bootstraps themselves out of poverty? Is that so? 46.2 million Americans living in poverty in the US would like to disagree.
WTF are you talking about ... do you even read what you write or do you just post any old crap, actually don't bother answering that question, I know the answer.

What I was suggested is that Britain has the remnants of an old class system dating from the time of the Monarchy. In Britain there are families that are no longer extremely wealthy yet remain Upper Class. Whilst at the same time there are families that are now weathy that find themselves unable to gain full recognition as full 'Blue Blooded' members of the Upper Class.

Example, all the media headlines and stories surrounding the Middleton family who aren't 'real' members of the upper class but are newcomers or ... nouveau riche.

In America there is barely such a thing. Their are political dynasties such as the Kennedy's, Bush's etc as well as families such as the Rockefellars who's names are forever linked with power and wealth, but for the majority of American's they can enter the upper reaches of power simply through their bank accounts alone.

If you think that I am wrong you have no clue about how either Britain or America works, and I would recommend you read up on the subject before spouting anymore crap.

All I stated is that it is easier to go from nothing to everything in America. In Britain its much more like, your always guaranteed something, but you'll never enter the ranks of the Elite in your own lifetime. You'll always be a Working Class boy made good in Britain ... in America you simply make it.

Am I wrong?

Last edited by D-A-C; 11-02-12 at 01:10 AM.
post #73 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 01:57 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
he wants to declare China a currency manipulator,
It's known that China is artifically deflating their currency to make themselves more attractive as a manufacturing hub. This is what drives their economy, and if manufacturing stuff in China became as expensive as it is in the US companies would simply ship their jobs back for free publicity in the States.
post #74 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 08:49 AM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
It's known that China is artifically deflating their currency to make themselves more attractive as a manufacturing hub. This is what drives their economy, and if manufacturing stuff in China became as expensive as it is in the US companies would simply ship their jobs back for free publicity in the States.
Yes that's true, but it's not very diplomatic to declare it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
WTF are you talking about ... do you even read what you write or do you just post any old crap, actually don't bother answering that question, I know the answer.

What I was suggested is that Britain has the remnants of an old class system dating from the time of the Monarchy. In Britain there are families that are no longer extremely wealthy yet remain Upper Class. Whilst at the same time there are families that are now weathy that find themselves unable to gain full recognition as full 'Blue Blooded' members of the Upper Class.

Example, all the media headlines and stories surrounding the Middleton family who aren't 'real' members of the upper class but are newcomers or ... nouveau riche.

In America there is barely such a thing. Their are political dynasties such as the Kennedy's, Bush's etc as well as families such as the Rockefellars who's names are forever linked with power and wealth, but for the majority of American's they can enter the upper reaches of power simply through their bank accounts alone.

If you think that I am wrong you have no clue about how either Britain or America works, and I would recommend you read up on the subject before spouting anymore crap.

All I stated is that it is easier to go from nothing to everything in America. In Britain its much more like, your always guaranteed something, but you'll never enter the ranks of the Elite in your own lifetime. You'll always be a Working Class boy made good in Britain ... in America you simply make it.

Am I wrong?

On the idea of Britain's class system, it's not true. Look at Lord Sugar, he wasn't rich he was a working class guy, now he's rich, has a seat in the Lords and hosts the apprentice.

When it comes to the monarchy, that's a special case because of how famous it is, but in general you can go from rags to riches in the UK, there are those who put a stake in being from Eton etc but in reality they hold as much power as anyone else when it comes to politics. Heck footballers are millionaires now and most of the time they are poor inner city kids, look at David Beckham or Wayne Rooney for example.

The class system we once had is not around today.
post #75 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 09:09 AM
HOGGLORD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: That place, you know. That place you went to that one time, surely you remember?

My interest in politics has been next to zero as a general rule, it's taken me until about three months ago to figure out who the Prime Minister(s?) is, but these elections appear to be important so I looked into it a bit. So far my rough opinions on things are sumarized best by this. (The last bit mostly)

Last edited by HOGGLORD; 11-02-12 at 10:07 AM.
post #76 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGLORD View Post
My interest in politics has been next to zero as a general rule, it's taken me until about three months ago to figure out who the Prime Minister(s?) is, but these elections appear to be important so I looked into it a bit. So far my rough opinions on things are sumarized best by this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_1B0w7Hzc
lol awesome.
post #77 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post

Am I wrong?
Holy shit you're hilarious. Seriously you brighten my day every time you post because it must be what it's like to look into a void of nothingness. There are no stories about the Middleton's being nouveau riche. In fact Carole Middleton was the daughter of a builder on a council estate in Southhall and now her daughter is married to the future King. Is that not the rags to riches story you're looking for?

In Britain as in the US money counts, the Middletons made millions from their business which afforded them the best schooling for their children which is the reason Kate is where she is now.

As in both countries the Poverty trap is a real thing. the difference is the Republicans want to make it even harder for the poor to get out of it whilst shouting bootstraps at them.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #78 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I'm not anti-homo sexual. Just because someone says they don't support homosexuality doesn't make them hate homo-sexuals. They have certain beliefs over the matter, but when push comes to shove, if your around a homosexual who is friendly and caring around you, no one, not even a rupublican is going to start hating on him.

I don't like when someone says something about that about republicans. Plain and simply, you are misimformed and either lying or just a tool to people who claim such things.
Oh so you don't hate homosexuals you just don't think they should have the same rights as every one else that's ok. Oh no wait it just means you've filtered your bigotry into a more palatable form.

That is the Republicans stated stance on homosexuality. If you identify as a Republican then it's fair to assume it's your stance. Unless you're Log Cabin Republican I guess but that's simply an attempt to do something with your broken 2 party system which will get no where because of apathy from the masses.

I mean why should they change if people still vote for them even if they disagree fundamentally with their policies.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #79 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 01:46 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
As in both countries the Poverty trap is a real thing. the difference is the Republicans want to make it even harder for the poor to get out of it whilst shouting bootstraps at them.
Wanna know why the Republicans hate Obama when it comes to the poor? It's not what you think, I can assure you. Obama wants to just hand them some of our(actual working Americans) hard earned money. He's not offering them any incentive to get jobs, he's just going to give them the money. There are poor people over here working the system in a way that they can just sit on their lazy asses at home. Granted, there are many here who are poor, that have legitimate reasons for not being able to work, but many dont have a damn excuse. They're just lazy.

Romney doesn't want to just give them free handouts, and all of a sudden, he and every other Republican are labelled enemies of the poor. Its unbelievable.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #80 of 177 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Wanna know why the Republicans hate Obama when it comes to the poor? It's not what you think, I can assure you. Obama wants to just hand them some of our(actual working Americans) hard earned money. He's not offering them any incentive to get jobs, he's just going to give them the money. There are poor people over here working the system in a way that they can just sit on their lazy asses at home. Granted, there are many here who are poor, that have legitimate reasons for not being able to work, but many dont have a damn excuse. They're just lazy.

Romney doesn't want to just give them free handouts, and all of a sudden, he and every other Republican are labelled enemies of the poor. Its unbelievable.
Yeah we have some problems with those who live off the benefits for most of their lives in the UK.

The problem is I'd rather sit someone on benefits for their lives and crack down on that if it means people don't go hungry or die. Better than than a clean sweeping of the benefit system making it so people can't abuse the benefit system but then no one gets benefits and will go hungry and could die.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode