Crimean War Sources Needed - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Default Crimean War Sources Needed

Hey all,

Just wondering if there were any history experts on here that could help me out with what I'm working on at the moment for A2 History. Basically, The question that I was given is:

"How Significant Were the Effects of the Defeat in the Crimea 1856 on Russian Government and Society at the time?"

And I am wondering if anybody would be able to help me look for any good Primary Sources relevant to this question.

Rep will be given to those who find the best sources or links to websites that help me find those sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 02:26 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

the primary sauce in the Crimean war was Brown

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 03:03 PM
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post
Hey all,

Just wondering if there were any history experts on here that could help me out with what I'm working on at the moment for A2 History. Basically, The question that I was given is:

"How Significant Were the Effects of the Defeat in the Crimea 1856 on Russian Government and Society at the time?"

And I am wondering if anybody would be able to help me look for any good Primary Sources relevant to this question.

Rep will be given to those who find the best sources or links to websites that help me find those sources.
Well if your looking for good primary sources from the Russian perspective (as its how it effected their government and society) it could be pretty difficult.

What you would be best doing is getting a couple (2-4) of the major texts published by historians on the subject such as Orlando Figes The Crimean War: A History, then you read it, and quote the primary sources that it will have in it i.e. diary entries from government officials or the Tsar relating to the topic your covering.

Then all you do is make sure that you quote were you got the sources from i.e. the book, and then that's you pretty much set.

I got a first class honours in history and at Uni your not necessarily forced to get primary sources and give your spin on it, your supposed to read the various histories written about the subject, quote from them, and develop the appropriate argument.

For example, the war exposed the shortcomings of Russia vis-a-vis the industrialised west, so as a result, Tsar Alexander II introduced economic reforms designed to modernise Russia, and to change it from a largley feudal/agricultural, into a more industrial power.

You don't need to go to archives and dig all that out to answer an A2 question, all you have to do is read around the topic, and follow the logic of some the historians. They will have primary sources you can use (but you must acknowledge were you got them from!) and will also differ in their opinions of certian issues, which will then allow you to take a side.

That's what I would do anyway, and like I said, I got a first in my History degree, and wrote about Russian society and the First World War.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help . I'll have to pick up the The Crimean War: A History ASAP then. +Rep.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 05:35 PM
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post
Thanks for your help . I'll have to pick up the The Crimean War: A History ASAP then. +Rep.
No problem, don't forget you need a couple of different books, I'd say at least two, but preferable 3 or 4 as it gives you a wider source of material to quote from.

Also, check out scribd or your local library too incase you can get a couple that way rather than buying them all.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
No problem, don't forget you need a couple of different books, I'd say at least two, but preferable 3 or 4 as it gives you a wider source of material to quote from.

Also, check out scribd or your local library too incase you can get a couple that way rather than buying them all.
Yeah, I'll give that a look into as well. Thanks once again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 07:19 PM

TyphoidLmJ's Flag is: USA

It wont help with the overarching effects of the Crimean war, but "HELLRIDERS"(The true story behind the of the Light Brigade) is an amazing read if you can. How else are you going to find out where Cardigan sweaters come from.?

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with till you understand who's in rutting command here! -Jayne
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-12, 08:23 PM

Good overview from "The Crimean War: A Clash of Empires" by Ian Fletcher and Natalia Ishchenko, as you can see, a book written by scholars from England and Russia.....

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-12, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys. +Rep to you both.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode