Romney picks a running mate, and it's.... Paul Ryan? WTF? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Default Romney picks a running mate, and it's.... Paul Ryan? WTF?

I have to admit a certain fascination with American politics - it's certainly far more entertaining and vibrant (Perhaps Lurid?) than politics closer to home, so I've been following the Presidential race a fair bit so far, and found this interesting.

So, it's been announced that from a field of candidates, Romney has chosen member of the house Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wi) to be his running mate. Ryan was, of course, a rising Republican star, a Tea Party darling and a major player in the budget crisis last year, being in charge of creating the Republican budget plan - a plan known mostly because of how much it stunk, and how it tried to change out Medicare from guaranteed healthcare for pensioners to a voucher system, which would have seen many retirees unable to procure health insurance. Even though he promised not to go after those already receiving Medicare, just strip benefits from new retirees, it still was extremely unpopular with seniors. It also basically wanted to take away most of the progressive tax system in favour of two flat levels - so the poor would end up having higher taxes, while the rich would receive lower taxes, as well as lowering corporate taxes. That budget ended up getting shot down by both sides of the aisle, even Republicans hated it because of how much it hurt their chances with older Americans who make up a significant proportion of their base.

It seems a strange choice for Romney to go a hard right tea partier for his running mate, rather than someone with a broader appeal. Obviously it's Romney playing towards the Republican base trying to shore up support (as he's disliked by a significant proportion of it), but even then, Ryan seems like a poor choice, as his record on Medicare will make him a liability with seniors. Perhaps his choice is being dictated in some way by more right wing party leaders and donors, who might prefer Ryan's Randist philosophy and his advocacy for lowering tax rates on high income earners.

Anyway, I can't really see this choice ending up any better than Sarah Palin did. What are your thoughts?

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 02:51 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermax View Post
It also basically wanted to take away most of the progressive tax system in favour of two flat levels - so the poor would end up having higher taxes, while the rich would receive lower taxes, as well as lowering corporate taxes.
Wait, what??

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 05:05 PM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

^Agreed. Fuck off ya republican shit.

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 06:04 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Worse than Sarah Palin? Then again, nothing can be as bad as her...surely.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 06:15 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Ryan is intelligent and somewhat charismatic. He can debate relatively well, and his status within the republican party helps shore up Romneys' base. He (Ryan) also has some respect on the other side. It was a smart choice for Romney.

Again Ryan is bright and can speak relatively well. Palin is... Well she can speak.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 08-11-12 at 06:18 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 06:41 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

... barely.

Sorry, you left that wide open.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 08:17 PM

I'm not entirely surprised. Ryan is a safe choice- well-respected in the political theatre, an effective speaker, and touts the party line. It's natural that they'd choose a guy who supports cutting taxes for the rich and heaping the burden on the middle and lower classes.

This is the classic Republican team: two rich white dudes.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 08:36 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
... barely.

Sorry, you left that wide open.
Fair enough. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxxglax View Post
This is the classic Republican team: two rich white dudes.
As opposed to the typical democratic team of two middle class dudes?

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 08:58 PM

xNoPityx's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post

As opposed to the typical democratic team of two middle class dudes?
This. Both parties have a rich history of rich white dudes.

Paul Ryan is a safe choice for mitt, but I think it was a bad choice. All he has done is get people who were already bound to vote for him more excited about voting for him. Then again, the republicans got burned when they took a risk last election year so they are probably trying not to repeat that performance .

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 09:22 PM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

That romney bloke seems worse then Bush and that's an impressive achievement. In two weeks he's pissed off the Palestinians therefore annoying the Israelis, he has pissed off the Great Britain saying our games will be a failure (so far we ain't mucked up much) and now he's pissed off the old people who are the only people who vote (huge generalisation but you get what I mean)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode