Romney picks a running mate, and it's.... Paul Ryan? WTF? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-12, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNoPityx View Post
This. Both parties have a rich history of rich white dudes.

Paul Ryan is a safe choice for mitt, but I think it was a bad choice. All he has done is get people who were already bound to vote for him more excited about voting for him. Then again, the republicans got burned when they took a risk last election year so they are probably trying not to repeat that performance .
Fair point, but at least the Democrats have ushered in both a Catholic and a black man into the Oval Office and (So perhaps I should amend to rich, white, protestant dudes). Not that I supported Hillary Clinton, but it was so nice to have a break in the homogeneous world of presidential candidates.

I concede that the democrats themselves are not exactly a model of diversity, but that shouldn't be surprising, considering that, on a more worldwide political spectrum (compared to, say, Canada), our 'leftist' politicians are really more right-of-center, whereas our right politicians (especially over the last 12 years) have drifted nearly off the scale. In fact, both parties tended to not be that far off from one another two or three decades ago.

My point is, these are guys who have come from a system that favors them, upper-class dudes, and seem pretty intent on propagating that system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-12, 09:56 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxxglax View Post
My point is, these are guys who have come from a system that favors them, upper-class dudes, and seem pretty intent on propagating that system.
Welcome to politics. 4000BC - Present.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-12, 10:31 AM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Either way, if the republicans get into power, it'll do more harm to them on the world stage than it will good imo.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-12, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellados View Post
That romney bloke seems worse then Bush...he has pissed off Great Britain saying our games will be a failure (so far we ain't mucked up much).
Hang on, what?!

Cameron shouldn't even have invited him over anyway. It's political bad form to invite candidates (let alone the ones running for office, as as opposed to the ones staying in office) to your country...even though he only did it to rub the French's noses in it when they did a similar thing x months ago...typical spolit little rich schoolboy-biatch!

But Romney having a go at the London games?
Increased gold medals over the haul from Beijing; greatest-ever Olympic sailor (Ainslie), Heptathlon glory (Ennis); greatest UK Olympian (Sir Chris Hoy); 5k+10K champion and first ever UK 10K champion (Farah); womens double sculls(?) when they weren't even supposed to be anywhere near the medals and won it by a lot; Anthony (boxer) beating world #1; women's boxing gold; women's cycling would have won gold if they'd not been disqualified; Rutherford's fantastic long jump gold, Dressage(?) gold,
...Etc...
Was the organisation of it just one huge mess of panic and confusion? Nope, not at all.

If that's his idea of a failure, it just proves how out of touch he really is & the Yanks are welcome to have him back.
Should have stopped his visa, frozen all his bank accounts, blown up his plane (without anyone in it) as it's obviously a "security risk", given him a canoe and told him to paddle his way back home. :-(

Urgently trying to trace any living relatives of Private Sam/Samuel "Jock" Wilson (Black Watch, No. 6 Commando, UK Army Service ID 2764432, died 10.06.44). Any info/suggestions gratefully received.

"Mockles! Pent on silpen tree, blockards three a-feening. Mockles! What silps came to thee, in thy pantry, dreaming?"

Please check out the HOES (Heresy Online Stories) threads and vote for the tales.
More feedback = better stories for everyone.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-12, 11:36 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermax View Post
Obviously it's Romney playing towards the Republican base trying to shore up support (as he's disliked by a significant proportion of it), but even then, Ryan seems like a poor choice, as his record on Medicare will make him a liability with seniors.
This seems to be the consensus, that Romney is still trying to consolidate the Republican base. The problem with that is that it is August. And he's no longer running against other Republicans.

At this point in time in the campaign season, the candidates, whether Republican or Democrat, should be trying to appeal to the undecided, the independents, the large segment of the population that is neither hard-left or hard-right but rather the moderate middle. That Romney is still trying to get the (hard-right) Republicans to like him is a bad sign.

Still, I don't know if Pawlenty or Portman would have been a better choice, less controversial surely, but I don't know if either man would have been "better."

Some of the polls are also telling. Of those that are eligible to vote, those that plan on voting for Romney are doing so because they're voting against Obama, not because they like Romney.

And, yeah, the Dems are going to have a field day eviscerating Ryan with his own budget.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-12, 12:23 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygorn View Post
If that's his idea of a failure, it just proves how out of touch he really is & the Yanks are welcome to have him back.
He was talking before the games started, back when there was all the hand waving and crying over the shambles that was security (unpaid, left stranded, students, X thousand people needed etc etc).

Obviously since there hasn't been a problem then everyone who was moaning about it then has had to STFU. Like anyone could have predicted.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-12, 01:04 PM
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygorn View Post
Increased gold medals over the haul from Beijing; greatest-ever Olympic sailor (Ainslie), Heptathlon glory (Ennis); greatest UK Olympian (Sir Chris Hoy); 5k+10K champion and first ever UK 10K champion (Farah); womens double sculls(?) when they weren't even supposed to be anywhere near the medals and won it by a lot; Anthony (boxer) beating world #1; women's boxing gold; women's cycling would have won gold if they'd not been disqualified; Rutherford's fantastic long jump gold, Dressage(?) gold,
...Etc...
Was the organisation of it just one huge mess of panic and confusion? Nope, not at all.

Should have stopped his visa, frozen all his bank accounts, blown up his plane (without anyone in it) as it's obviously a "security risk", given him a canoe and told him to paddle his way back home. :-(
Actually at one point right at the beginning of the games (bu just before the opening ceremony) the British Press had a field day complaining about all the various things that were going wrong or were speculated to have been going wrong. Its only since the games have begun that things have settled down and they have switched to 'Gold Medal Fever', but evcen then, they still manage to complain every day or two about the BBC coverage of the event.

Anyway, as for the selection of Paul Ryan, I'm, not sure how much it will help Romney in the long run as Ryan is more likely to appeal to people who are already Republicans, as I honestly cannot see many independents or undecided switching and voting for Romney due to the precence of Ryan.

Therefore what will be telling about the selection is how Romney uses Ryan.

If he let's him constantly play to the Republican base so that Romney doesn't have to, and thus he can focus on winning over independent voters, then it could just prove to be an absolutely brilliant selection. Romney really doesn't go down well with, I'd say realistically, about 1/3 of card-carrying Republicans, and so if Ryan can get them to stop sniping at Romney and get them fired up and avoid any major f*ck ups then he will have served his purpose in my opinion.

In this election I honestly wouldn't have a clue about who I'd vote for, I cannot stand Obama and I think his policies are beyond a joke, but I think letting the Republicans back into office at this stage may be a mistake.

I wish people would have given Ron Paul a better chance, but the mainstream media always picks on him every chance it gets, despite the fact that his analysis of American domestic, economic and foreign policy seems to be pretty dead on most of the time.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-12, 01:37 PM

xNoPityx's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post

Anyway, as for the selection of Paul Ryan, I'm, not sure how much it will help Romney in the long run as Ryan is more likely to appeal to people who are already Republicans, as I honestly cannot see many independents or undecided switching and voting for Romney due to the precence of Ryan.

Therefore what will be telling about the selection is how Romney uses Ryan.

If he let's him constantly play to the Republican base so that Romney doesn't have to, and thus he can focus on winning over independent voters, then it could just prove to be an absolutely brilliant selection.
This will never work. The fact is, more people like obama better than they like romney. He will never, by himself, win over the hearts and minds of the people like obama can, even after a lackluster performance in office. I honestly think his campaign was without a prayer to begin with but this just puts the nail in the coffin to me. His best bet would have been to go with what many thought he would go with, condie rice.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-12, 03:32 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

It wasn't that Romney said the games London where holding may be in trouble he also said in a book recently that we where a little island living on our past.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-12, 01:23 AM

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

um...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode