yet another army scenario - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-12, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HUMYN HYBRID's Avatar
HUMYN HYBRID's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: where DONT i live?
Posts: 307
Reputation: 1
Default yet another army scenario

so ive seen many threads in relation to other game races into 40k... so im gonna add mine because im curious as to the opinions you all give. plus i havent seen this topic yet...

ok, so the race im gonna ask for is the covenant, yes from halo...

how would the mighty covenant fair in the 40k universe?

If you can't amaze people with your intelligence... Confuse them with your bullshit!
HUMYN HYBRID is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-12, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
normtheunsavoury's Avatar
normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rochester, Medway, Kent.
Posts: 5,116
Reputation: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMYN HYBRID View Post
so ive seen many threads in relation to other game races into 40k... so im gonna add mine because im curious as to the opinions you all give. plus i havent seen this topic yet...

ok, so the race im gonna ask for is the covenant, yes from halo...

how would the mighty covenant fair in the 40k universe?
They would get killed by the Imperium, Tau, Necrons, Chaos, Orks and Eldar (Dark, Craftworld and Exodite).
Why? Because this is a 40K fan site, meaning 40K will always win the pissing contest.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
normtheunsavoury is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-12, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Karak The Unfaithful's Avatar
Karak The Unfaithful's Flag is: Great Britain
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Midlands, Great Britian
Posts: 1,480
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
They would get killed by the Imperium, Tau, Necrons, Chaos, Orks and Eldar (Dark, Craftworld and Exodite).
Why? Because this is a 40K fan site, meaning 40K will always win the pissing contest.
He's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klomster View Post
Ok, doing good gentlemen.
(Except Karak, you are not really a gentleman, but more brutal.... a brutalman )
Karak The Unfaithful is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10
Default

People who don't think out of the box aside, there's a few factors you have to consider.

Races FTL travel. The covenant have a fast and accurate FTL drive. Their ships also have powerful weapons and shields. However they do have a weakness. They have to drop a portion of their shields To fire their weapons.

You also have to consider their infantry weapons. and their troops. Remember humans with stubbers beat them.
Reaper45 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HUMYN HYBRID's Avatar
HUMYN HYBRID's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: where DONT i live?
Posts: 307
Reputation: 1
Default

yeah, i do agree with norm, but im wanting as karak has suggested. outside the box.

If you can't amaze people with your intelligence... Confuse them with your bullshit!
HUMYN HYBRID is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
SGMAlice's Avatar
SGMAlice's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ass End of Nowhere
Posts: 3,807
Reputation: 15
Default

All these sorts of thread don't take into account that no one knows just what the power of each factions weapons are in relation to each other.

If something as simple as a bullet will take down the shields of an Elite, imagine what a Bolter round would do, or even a Lasgun, which is a focused laser. Covenant weapons are Plasma based, but i'm not sure they are true plasma as Master Chief survives long enough against them.



In the end i think the Imperium would win, if not through superior firepower, then through superior numbers.

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
SGMAlice is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 08:09 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin
 
gen.ahab's Avatar
gen.ahab's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ivins, Utah, USA
Posts: 7,044
Reputation: 17
Default

Are we looking at the covinent in the books or the covies in the games? If you haven't read the books, there is a HUGE difference. An example would be needlers; in the game it takes almost half a crystal set to down a marine on normal, but in the books a single shard turns a fully armored marines guts into mulch. In the books the plasma rifles blow entire appendages off and cook through men. It should also be noted that it takes about 30 or so rounds from an MA5B to down an elites shields and a fair few more to down the elite.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
gen.ahab is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HUMYN HYBRID's Avatar
HUMYN HYBRID's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: where DONT i live?
Posts: 307
Reputation: 1
Default

agree with gen, there is a massive difference between books and games. in the book, fall of reach, the masterchief's first encounter with an elite was extremely too similar in terms of strength, speed, and intelligence. it took the force of the masterchief as well as some marines to take down one elite, where as the game, you can take out one elite with no problems. if i were to chose, it be the covies in the books, over the game itself

If you can't amaze people with your intelligence... Confuse them with your bullshit!
HUMYN HYBRID is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
SGMAlice's Avatar
SGMAlice's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ass End of Nowhere
Posts: 3,807
Reputation: 15
Default

Aye, true but in the 40k books, Space Marines are nigh immortal Super Human Warriors ,in Tank thick armor (by today standards), with hundred of years of experience in war, have guns that fire mini rockets and can pick up cars (or something like that). Books will always be the best descriptve source over games. Games are created to be won, books have total free reign within an IP set.

Still. what are the numbers of the Covenant according to fluff? The Imperium number in the Billions, with our own brand of 'Super Warrior' being in the thousands or more (possibly tens of thousand)

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger

Last edited by SGMAlice; 06-18-12 at 08:42 AM.
SGMAlice is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMYN HYBRID View Post
agree with gen, there is a massive difference between books and games. in the book, fall of reach, the masterchief's first encounter with an elite was extremely too similar in terms of strength, speed, and intelligence. it took the force of the masterchief as well as some marines to take down one elite, where as the game, you can take out one elite with no problems. if i were to chose, it be the covies in the books, over the game itself
Yow clearly never played Halo on legendary. they can one hit melee you to death with full health and shields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMAlice View Post
Aye, true but in the 40k books, Space Marines are nigh immortal Super Human Warriors ,in Tank thick armor (by today standards), with hundred of years of experience in war, have guns that fire mini rockets and can pick up cars (or something like that). Books will always be the best descriptve source over games. Games are created to be won, books have total free reign within an IP set.

Still. what are the numbers of the Covenant according to fluff? The Imperium number in the Billions, with our own brand of 'Super Warrior' being in the thousands or more (possibly tens of thousand)

Alice
Grunts and hunters number in the billions. as for the rest I don't know.
Reaper45 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome