Job Search = Soul Destroying. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Agarwaen's Flag is: England

Default Job Search = Soul Destroying.

So ive been looking for a new job since the new year, must have apllied for about 50. rarely hear back from any of them, had 2 interviews no real leads. So frustrating. My current job isnt going so well, hours have been cut so i have less disposable income after ive paid my rent/bills etc. and I dont like having to fall back on my Girlfriend.

Anyone else in this boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:22 PM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

UK has it as bad as the US does. Meanwhile China laughs all the way to the bank.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Agarwaen's Flag is: England

haha maybe. just live in a relatively small town with nothing but shops, and they aint doing too well.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 06:59 PM

Grokfog's Flag is: England

Agar, I feel your pain. In every way. I've applied for a load of jobs in the last year, had 3 interviews. Got turned down for a fucking call centre because apparently "I don't have enough experience". Excuse me? Answering a phone is more demanding than serving alcohol to drunk, potentially violent persons?

And yeah, all our shops are closing down because the next town across has had a massive town centre refurbishment, so they're all moving there.

I'm just lucky my Girlfriend is so understanding
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 07:15 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Left Uni in 2008 with a 2:1 masters degree... over the next 2 years I applied for over 300 jobs, had 1 interview, heard back form about another 5 and eventually got a part-time job which I was downsized out of after about 6 months...

I then went back to uni to take a PGCE and learn to become a teacher... which I hated (well, I hated a school where I was placed, and had to pass the course there to finish) and so left after 8 months.

Now I'm employed full time but as a temp (yeah I don't get how that works either) and have been for the last 7 months, during which time I've still been applying for other jobs, albeit much more slowly, of which I've had another interview. Things are looking pretty good atm since I'm almost certain to become permanent within the next month or two: as soon as the company is allowed to expand (likely) or dead men's shoes become available (also likely) then I should get a contract (and have been told as such... many times). Still not stopping me applying for some other jobs, although I'm much more selective, only going for the things I really want to do now.

I know just how soul destroying finding a job can be... and I'm not going to blow sunshine up your arse trying to make things sound rosy, but keep at it, you'll find something eventually.

For me and my current job it was the weirdest thing in the world- I had sent off about 15 applications that week already and on Friday I filled out 3-4 other long application forms with covering letters and whatever bollocks I needed when I saw a 1 line advert for temps at a random company doing something vaguely linked to my degree... so I emailed asking for more information. Well I didn't get any info, but I was phoned about 30mins later asking if I could drive down that afternoon for an interview... I did and I was working the following Monday.
Even more shockingly, this isn't the quickest a temp has been taken on...

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 06:44 AM

cranvill's Flag is: England

Sorry to hear the news Agar i know back home in south yorks it has been hit very hard also.
I am just hopeing things pick up in the next six years as thats me out the Army then and iv never worked in civi street since leaveing school 16 years ago and i dont have a clue as to were to start.

Dont know if your up for it but have you conisdered joining the forces ? its good pay and you get to shoot guns and shout at people till they cry. On the serious side i know the Army is always recruiting an the side benafits such as houseing,medical and penstion are very good.
If you want any info drop me a PM buddy.

Originally Posted by Jdwoogie
It just dawned on me that we turned a thread on a warhammer 40k site into a thread about vesectomies.... AWESOME!!! To bring it bit back on topic... Did the doctor use a frost blade to perform the precedure? i really hope he didn't use a thundar hammer.

Originally Posted by VanquisherMBT
Don't wanna read about some big breasted maid milking her dairy cows then milking the horse.

Who the feth milks a horse?

Yer i know my spelling and grammer suck but just so you know its not me being lazy just thick
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 07:35 AM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

I was laid off from my job on very short notice, so back to jobcentre for me, I hope they don't put me on the stupid group courses, 9am till 3pm sitting on computers Monday to friday looking at job sites....that was it, no wonder I tried to commit suicide and get therapy, and I still had to go the next day or not get paid.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 11:31 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

@Agarwaen: I know how it feels. The college I was working at decided to cut my whole department to balance its budget. Luckily I had saved up a 6-month emergency fund, too bad I was unemployed for 10 months.

One thing that helped was telling everyone I knew I was unemployed and looking for work. A lot of my friends kept an eye out and would forward possible job opportunities to me. In the end, it was a friend that called me up saying another mutual friend had heard I was unemployed and did I want work? It'll be two years this August since I accepted.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 12:44 PM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

There's a couple of Technical support jobs going at my place of work. You say your from south of UK right? is Basingstoke easy to travel for you?

I work for De La Rue, the jobs going are computer technical support. One based in our Overton factory one in the Basingstoke head office. If your interested drop me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 02:07 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

It's even worse if you're 16 like me.

Nowhere is hiring and the few places that are are filled up by the people living across the street. The one place that's close to me required THREE REFERENCES.....and it's a bloody fast food joint! Not even my mum (who has worked in several different places for a total of around 20 years) has three references.

On top of all that, I was one of two people who brought a resume -_-

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode