Self Defence: Where is the line drawn? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Default Self Defence: Where is the line drawn?

Simple enough concept. I like many people have been receiving martial arts training for some time now and have developed a set of skills which could be lethal if applied correctly. For those interested, what I am learning is a traditional kung fu comprised of various other styles.

Naturally, the aim of learning these skills is self defence. There are other benefits of course such as fitness, mental exercises and increased awareness, but ultimately the aim is that I can defend myself against potential attackers.

My question for those who have also received such training or similar is, where do you draw the line at defending yourself against another person?

For example, someone attacks you with a knife intending to kill you. Through fortune and his lack of skill you disarm him, but what next? Are you content to subdue him or would you retaliate to the same degree as he attacked you?

Assume that in the heat of the moment, legal concerns are absent from your mind.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 07:49 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

ok so valid question.... i have been learning for 15years and teaching for almost 10. by no means a master or anything, just can handle myself if needed.
now to answer your question, if being attacked by a knife attacker its now life or death and if you manage to disarm him i believe you have the right to give him something to remember his mistake by.
i have been in armed hold ups, fights and various other situations but where to draw the line is dependent on the person, what seem excessive to you wont be to me.
although out rightly killing someone is plainly just stupid
but in any combat the after effects will always outway the outcome i.e the law.
so in my humble opinion(for what its worth) if your going to fight make sure that the result is worth the punishment that shall follow.

Last edited by fatmantis; 04-25-12 at 07:51 AM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 07:57 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

no more than absolutely necessary.

disarm... if they continue, more. stop once they back down or are unable to fight.

anything else and you are beyond defence and become the aggressor.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 08:25 AM

Dagmire's Flag is: United Kingdom

if he "slips" and falls on his own knife I wont mourn the loss ;)

Please listen to my PODCAST

http://www.theoverlords.co.uk/podcast/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaraknarn
This unholy amalgum of womanly sexiness with unfathomable macho should never have been created. Birth rates will plummit, the entire male population will be turned, women kind everywhere will cry desperately to ravished, but no man will heed the call except Dagmire himself. Perhaps this has been Dagmires plan all along. . . . . .
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 08:46 AM

CaptainQuackers's Flag is: Australia

No more than absolutely necessary. I'd disarm him and leave it at that, if he kept coming I'd shove him to the ground and keep him there, while yelling for help or calling the police.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 10:23 AM

Against an armed attacker just do your best to disarm and take them to the ground. With knives involved it's very unlikely that you're both coming out of there without some cuts just got to make sure yours are the least damaging really. If I didn't feel I could restrain them then I would go for making them unconscious.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 10:34 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

if its a human attacker then subdue him/her, if its a knife wielding Donkey Ninja then its time to get medieval.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 10:55 AM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

From a logical standpoint i know i should simply aim to disarm/subdue him.

However i'm also a vengeful person who can hold a grudge. In the heat of the moment i'd likely go beyond just disarming the assailant. (note that i wouldn't be trying to kill him, just inflict some pain, maybe a broken bone or two, perhaps knock him out) Afterwards i'd curse myself for an idiot but at the time i doubt i'd be thinking that clearly.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 12:56 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Here in the US it is looked at in different angles, the attacker has a weapon that can cause death, your goal is not to kill, nor injure, only eliminate the threat, if you manage to kill the assailant in the course of subduing the threat, then so be it, in the court of law it would be seen as self defense, at worst you would face a charges of involuntary manslaughter, which is not murder, but you more than likely will either walk away with nothing, or you will walk away very little legal action against you. Where the line is drawn is if you do disarm them, then you must only use the amount of force that is nessacary to protect one's self. This where police offers tend to get into issues, they are trained to use an equal amount of force against an aggressor, but given the scenario you provided an officer or a civillian are both authorised to apply deadly force.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-12, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Feed

See that's how i figure it Rems. You rarely think clearly when you're in the middle of a real fight. Shit happens.

That's why I value this kind of training. If you're practiced to the point of it becoming muscle memory, you can minimize damage. Anger can still lead to unwarranted aggression, but considering that the guy is trying to kill you, then like Dagmire I wouldn't mourn more permanent damage.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode