Real-life soldiers and 40k - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

LordOfAbsolution's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Real-life soldiers and 40k

I have a question for everyone who's in the armed forces (or have been) at the moment, I seen on other topics in the past you guys mention that you build 40k stuff while you are on tour, but how do you do it? like how does it get shipped back and forth? how much down time do you have to do it? and is it really just like doing it at home or whatever?

I mainly ask because I was watching 'Black Hawk Down' the other night and the artist who's drawing the comic reminded me of those posts, so I became curious.

LoA

"By the Grace of the Emperor we live, By his will he shatter the Horrors of the Warp, with our blades we will cleanse the galaxy!" - Lord Commander Dominicus of the Saints of Absolution.

"The Emperor is the god of all Mankind, and we, are his lightning bolts that strike down his enemies" - from the book of Absolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 12:02 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

I ship bits to people in the forces all over the world, even shipped bits to a guy on a sub once.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 12:08 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

I served on a ship in the navy so it wasn't to difficult to paint do 40k stuff, but there never wasn't much time to do it, out at sea there isn't much downtime at all and its either I work on 40k stuff or get a couple hours of sleep, sleep typically beats out 40k everytime.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 12:32 PM
stevey293's Flag is: Scotland

I found out about this watching a guy in afghan paint it. He took it with him and brought new stuff to paint after his r&r. As for down time. In average we had one day off in 4 so plenty.

Taking limited free commisions again. PM for info.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 04:15 PM

Scythes's Flag is: USA

I'm in the Marines and in Afghanistan right now. For time for painting and all it depends on your job. I work in communications and as long as things are working, we don't really have a lot to do. I sit in front of 3 monitors for 12 hours a day and watch for network devices to go down. If something goes down I call someone and tell them to fix it and to call me with what they did to fix it. During my 12 hour shift I eat all three meals, go to the gym, get weekly haircuts, go to the store, whatever really. This gives me a good 6-8 hours every day to paint things. I brought a lot with me and an hoping to finish them all.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 04:21 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

In Iraq, I had a mailing address (APO) based on one of the major forward operating bases (FOB). I'd order stuff online, either through eBay, direct, or from other distributors, and have it mailed to that address. Whenever we had our supply run every 1-2 weeks, mail would get pushed out to us, and then I'd get my goodies whenever they showed up.

We had a wooden hut to live in and I had enough space for a small table that I could keep WIPs on, though keeping everything free of dust was a bit of a bitch...

As far as finding time, even random 2-3 hours of free time here and there can be used towards either assembling or painting an army.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 07:56 PM

Dagmire's Flag is: United Kingdom

I just took little bits with me and then swapped them over on R and R

Please listen to my PODCAST

http://www.theoverlords.co.uk/podcast/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaraknarn
This unholy amalgum of womanly sexiness with unfathomable macho should never have been created. Birth rates will plummit, the entire male population will be turned, women kind everywhere will cry desperately to ravished, but no man will heed the call except Dagmire himself. Perhaps this has been Dagmires plan all along. . . . . .
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 11:13 PM

VX485's Flag is: Australia

When i was in the puss in never tried painting or building at sea, not much room and can be a little unsteady at times - but mostly because time was very short.

Ashore was a different matter, i was really restricted for room so i used to have a very limited paint selection and only painted infantry, had plenty of hours after work to get heaps done. when i finished a few models i'd mail them home and get some more unfinished ones sent back
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 12:39 AM

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

I for one dont take my stuff down range I'm Air Force Ammo, and when we go we work 6 on 1 off 12 hour days. I sleep on my day off and when I get home is when I buy new stuff and paint like a man possessed.

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 03:13 AM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

Im army but work on aircraft so we can operate on all different shift patterns. I don't tend to take models on tour with me as i normally don't have the time/too tired to do it or i end up doing phys in my off time and sleeping lol.

It really depends on the job and the shifts you work but there are no problems with it and you can get it delivered to most BFPO addresses, normally for a discounted price depending where you shop.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode