US soldier kills 16 Afghan civilians - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Default US soldier kills 16 Afghan civilians

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17334643

Nice one dickhead, just a few weeks before I go out there for a 7 month tour in Helmand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 08:26 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Theres only so long we can fight this losing war in Afghanistan before people start going mental. I blame the government for not supplying the manpower needed to get this job done.

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 10:25 AM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
Theres only so long we can fight this losing war in Afghanistan before people start going mental. I blame the government for not supplying the manpower needed to get this job done.
When someone mows 16 people down with a machine gun I tend to blame them...
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 10:35 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

There's always a handful of people every year who flip out and decide to resolve all their personal problems by killing as many people as they can reach, ending with optional suicide. In this case it just happened to be a soldier with an M16 instead of a farmer with a rifle, taxi driver with a shotgun, student with a pistol...

Unfortunately he'll probably get extradited to the US and spend the rest of his life in a home instead of going on trial in Afghanistan and being executed.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 10:47 AM

docgeo's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
When someone mows 16 people down with a machine gun I tend to blame them...
I tend to agree with you but there are also some key information we need. He was a Sergeant so he likely had many deployment so PTSD could be a factor. What if any behavioral health diagnosis he had, meds he was on, recent personal trauma. But a soldier or anyone who kills in cold blood especially children...it is really impossible to justify.
Good Luck Angel of Blood...I will be out there in a Year.

Doc

Link to my Artic UltraMarines Project:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=89554
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 10:56 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

As a soldier, I can understand if he snapped. Does that make it right? No. Is what he did a good thing? No. But can I see why it happened? Yes.

People in charge of Afghanistan have been begging for more boots on the ground for some time. We're, at best, in the middle of a stalemate. A lot of camps in Afghanistan get attacked every day. Can you imagine if every day someone drove by your house and started shooting at you? People are going to have mental breakdowns left and right over that type of shit, and this is no shock, and shouldn't surprise anyone.

We need more boots on the ground so we can get the job done. That, or we need to get the hell out. Staying the course is not a viable option in any way, and only disastrous events can result from this mind-bogglingly stupid plan.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Conversely, as a soldier aswell I won't standup for him. I refuse to believe the US forces support ans welfare programme is worse than ours, or at least close to it. Theres always someone you can go to if it really gets that bad. I know people who have got themselves sent back home before because they were close to the breaking point. Theres absolutely no justification for going out and murdering 16 civilians.

As for people snapping all the time and killing people. True, but this one snapped in a warzone(people who say it isn't are deluded) where hearts and minds are everything. His actions have just made the already dangerous environment even more deadly. We rely heavily on the local population for intel and tips of what the Taliban have been doing. Alot of them are going to tell us to fuck off now thanks to him.

No sympathy for the man at all, if we was put infront of a firing squad like the old days then I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Cunt. Don't care how callous or horrible that makes me sound. Fact is he's just endangered the lives of all my mates and other soldiers even more so than they already were.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 12:07 PM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

And there it is, one mentally unstable person and his actions can have consequences that completely undo what, in many areas, has been years of stabilization. Unfortunately, the actions of one can not be parted from the whole, but here's to hoping the impact on operations is minimal...

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 12:21 PM

Scythes's Flag is: USA

Apparently the Taliban have sworn revenge for this. Great job buddy, I'm here, in Helmand now, and will be for another 5 months or so. It's been pretty calm where I am, I'm hoping it stays this way, but somehow I doubt it will after this.

I cannot condone any act like this ever for any reason. There are rules for reasons, this guy snapping didn't just go out and kill 16 people. He endangered all his friends who are still there, he endangered every coalition member in the country, he damaged relations between all coalition countries and Afghanistan, etc, etc, etc. The list could go on, he got his rocks off and killed a bunch of people but obviously didn't think about what would happen because of it. I just hope any military in the area now or coming this way stay safe.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem."
-Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 12:56 PM

He didn't even have the good grace to suicide by cop after his murder spree.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode