The Heretics Talk To Games Workshop - Page 14 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 02:38 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
That I would dispute. The Gaming Club Network is something they support in a big way. GW does a lot to try and support gaming communities (ones that play WH) - at least they do on this side of the Pond. I can't comment on the US, but then, GW is UK based. Talk to Memphis for why they don't support them over there.

Also, they are a business, with their own outlets and gaming facilities. Of course they are going to support gaming communities that utilise those facilities more than other ones. It's good business sense to encourage people to come into your own stores.
Well there is NO GW SUPPORT over here so......I don't know about you guys but they have lost my buissness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 02:43 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Forgive me if I look at it from the point of view that GW knows it's market better than anyone else.
Despite the extensive market research they do...What they say is the case doesn't become true because they say it.

I know plenty of players who buy things cos they're new and shiny, I have done it myself, loads of times.

But I know hardly anyone who builds a 'collection' not an army. And they claim this si the case - like when they claim as many people buy their products purely to paint them as to play the game. Not every GW model is objectively the best value for money model around, and people are (often...) more discerning than that.

Plus, how many people do you know paint and don't play? Do the ones you do know buy a lot? Or, like the ones I know, is it a box every couple months? Hardly like those of us who buy armies en masse for tournaments...
post #133 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 02:53 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
Despite the extensive market research they do...What they say is the case doesn't become true because they say it.

I know plenty of players who buy things cos they're new and shiny, I have done it myself, loads of times.

But I know hardly anyone who builds a 'collection' not an army. And they claim this si the case - like when they claim as many people buy their products purely to paint them as to play the game. Not every GW model is objectively the best value for money model around, and people are (often...) more discerning than that.

Plus, how many people do you know paint and don't play? Do the ones you do know buy a lot? Or, like the ones I know, is it a box every couple months? Hardly like those of us who buy armies en masse for tournaments...
Sure that is your experience but what I am saying is that the GW board room sits down and looks at the hard data from their market holisticly and makes its decisions based on that, no one else can do that. They aren't guided by what they want the hobby to be or by emotional attachment or by how to win the next game.

Who going to buy more they guy who sets his army up for a 2k tournament or the guy who plays 10k Apoc games at the local club? (like we do).

I also see a significant number of tourney organisers knocking allies and the extra FoC when over 2k on the head because of "abuse". As this is very much a tool to sell more mini's why would GW support them?

There is a vast community of 40kers beyond the tournament scene.
post #134 of 134 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 11:40 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
...the ethos of 6th ed 40k and 8e WFB are so anti-competitive play, as is the Throne of Skulls 'tournament' that their actions speak much louder then lip service.
I have slightly different perspective: GW have created a set of rules which, if taken together create a "for the fun" rather than "for the assessment of strategy/tactics" game; they have then said that you can choose to leave some of them out, and suggested jumping off points for making it even more like a story if you want.

People who want a "for the fun" game but have no/little experience of creating their own rules benefit hugely from a guided set of "for the fun" rules.

People who want to test their army skills can leave out mysterious terrain and whatever else does not fit their definition of a competitive environment.

So, an ethos of here are fun rules; if your group/tournament does not like them as is then ignore/change them seems very supportive of the myriad definitions of an enjoyable game.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode