Evolution - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-08, 08:18 PM

Morgal's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
I think that is over simplifying a bit Morgal. There are fish now that can crawl and breathe in both water and on land to survive in areas with extreme differences in water level. Its not too much of a jump.
It is, i'm just missing how, in the example, the legs where before they where to the point they where usable. was there some fish with little legs that could not walk or did fully fuctional legs just apear one generation. As before that point a fish with silly unusable legs would be at a disadvatage.

Yeah, well the Space Marines never dropped forty thousand feet in a drop pod WITHOUT power armor.
-Lt.Hperon of the Olympian 125th "Hell Troopers"[KIA]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-08, 08:20 PM

Elchimpster's Flag is: USA

Scientific theory is still theory. The difference being that it is subject to testing and measurable outcomes. Everything we understand about science has been tested and measured and has led to us being on the moon, and curing diseases. Sure, it's imperfect, nobody has all the answers, so some things aren't nailed down yet: cancer, FTL travel, the lottery.

Some things are pretty well nailed down though: the internal combustion engine, IP communication, Botox, and American Idol.

Evolution is somewhere in-between: yeah, they have a pretty solid idea, that is backed up by a lot of scientifically proven data. It's not certain or concrete, but it's a lot more feasible than the world being created in 6 days (and a day off) some 8 thousand years ago.

I can't help but think that every time something is proven, a little bit of the magic of the world dies.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 12:41 AM

Casmiricus's Flag is: USA

I reccomend that everyone watch Ben Stein's Expelled:No intelligence allowed.

Beyond that, I happen to believe that there is a God. Did he create each and every one of us? No. I'm pretty sure that evolution, defined as trends within species where the species specializes to a role in nature, exists.

However, the Theory of Evolution cannot explain how life made the jump from inanimate matter to animate matter.

No one has come up with a satisfactory answer for this, and I love to apply Occam's Razor with gusto. I think God is as good an explaination as any for how matter made that jump.

To face horrors untold and emerge, to fight the Emperor's battles on hellish otherworlds,
to raise the Banner of Mankind High in Glorious Triumph!

That is a Guardsman's purpose.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 01:08 AM

Zeldrin's Flag is: United Kingdom

"However, the Theory of Evolution cannot explain how life made the jump from inanimate matter to animate matter."

Protein in the primoridal soup hit with electricity from a thunder strike. It has been replicated in a lab and it works.

Zeldrin

"Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun"
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 01:11 AM

Casmiricus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldrin View Post
Protein in the primoridal soup hit with electricity from a thunder strike. It has been replicated in a lab and it works.

Zeldrin
Bwuh? No. Those conditions WERE replicated in a lab, but got nothing.

To face horrors untold and emerge, to fight the Emperor's battles on hellish otherworlds,
to raise the Banner of Mankind High in Glorious Triumph!

That is a Guardsman's purpose.
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 01:33 AM

Zeldrin's Flag is: United Kingdom

Maybe I am wrong, I wouldn't claim to be an expert. I am just going by what I have heard. Regardless, there is a multitude of feasible models kicking about. Difficult to prove for sure but feasible nonetheless.

"Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun"
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 02:06 AM

imperialdudes's Flag is: USA

I believe that as long as both sides are taught in public schools no one showed take offense to it. Also the teacher should not voice their opinion due to the fact that this may make some students uncomfortable.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 02:33 AM

Engelus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialdudes View Post
I believe that as long as both sides are taught in public schools no one showed take offense to it. Also the teacher should not voice their opinion due to the fact that this may make some students uncomfortable.
yeah, but that is religious preference. there are not 2 sides, and there never were 2 sides. Where are the devas and asuras pulling on Kurma and churning the sea of milk after the great flood? huh?

The United States was founded for the very reason of having the right to practice your own religion (or lack thereof) as you see fit, to avoid religious persecution. What about the Jewish, hindus, muslims, shinto, agnostic, aethiest, and confuscists and the huge amounts of varieties inbetween.

Giving Christian ideology preference above any single one of these is unfair and goes completely against the purpose of our nation. If you ask me, that is exactly the same as teaching white supremacy or any other racist belief. If any one of these creationist ideologies is taught, they should all be taught, but not in the science classroom, which is for measurable and predictable observations. I received my dose of creationist education is Sunday school just like every other catholic where I grew up.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited by Engelus; 05-16-08 at 02:55 AM.
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 02:49 AM
Mohawk-Wearing Crazyman

ACoz's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchimpster View Post
I can't help but think that every time something is proven, a little bit of the magic of the world dies.

Nicely put.

Consider yourself quoted for use in a sig.

'At two minutes to eleven, opposite the South African Brigade, at the eastern-most point reached by the British armies, a German machine-gunner, after firing off a belt without pause, was seen to stand up beside his weapon, take off his helmet, bow, and then slowly walk to the rear.' -John Buchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchimpster View Post
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

loyalist42's Flag is: USA

Y'know, I was thinking the same thing, Chimp...it seems to me that, as we develop the capacity to explore nature further, there's really no place left for magic. Almost despite myself, that makes me sad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar89
if I hang out with you any more I just might pick up 40K...You, sir, are dangerous.

Holy shit, I've a plog again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode