It's The End of the World (Do I Have Enough Beans?) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-11, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Default It's The End of the World (Do I Have Enough Beans?)

About a year ago, I took a serious look into the whole "2012=END OF ZE WORLDE!" hype. I read pretty much every legible article I could find on the issue, and read up on what the experts had to say (and ignored mostly anything I saw on the History Channel) I fairly quickly dismissed the vast majority of what I read as alarmist, good intentioned at best and exploative at worst ("Buy my book so YOU CAN BE PREPARED!")

What this did spark in me, however, was the quirkiest hobby I've had thus far in my young life; survivalism. I'm a married enlisted man, so I don't have a million dollars with which to build a bomb shelter, or join one of those Fallout Vault-Tech style survivalist communities that are popping up in the Mojave desert. For about the past year, I've done what I can where I can with the limited amount of funds I can convince my wife to let me spend on food/equipment.

Even though I don't really think anything crazy will happen around this time next year, I've given myself a little challenge, just for fun. I'm going to go ahead and assume that, in a year, give or take a few weeks, all the power is going to turn off, and never turn back on. On top of what I already have, what do my fellow Heretics suggest for ensuring I'm one hundred percent ready to rock the Apocalypse?

Feel free to give whatever advice you'd like, serious or not. Go ahead and share your own plans for the end of the world, if you've got them. I love comparing notes. What I'm not concerned about is whether or not you think the world will actually end in 2012. There's no sense discussing it, since we can just wait and see.

-

1. Location, Location Location

This was one of the hardest parts for me, since being in the Army means I don't have a lot of control over where I am, when I am. That being said, I'll be home for the holidays next year, so if that giant jaguar does decide to take a bite out of the sun like the Mayans predicted, I'll be in Michigan when it happens.

So far, my plan consists of heading to my grandparents house if it all goes down. They live on a small island in the Detroit river, an island accessed by two bridges. Both bridges can be swung open at the center, allowing large tanker ships to pass by. The river itself is very deep and fast moving; anyone trying to swim across would absolutely not make it. There are a few harbors, and a tiny airport. The island is mostly wooded. White tail deer are a huge problem, they multiply very quickly and there's no hunting allowed. Off the island is one of the best places in the world for walleye fishing (according to Field and Stream at least) The river eventually connects with Lake Erie and lake St. Claire to the north. The island is a fairly small community; mostly old people who've retired, or the rich who can afford the property taxes. Tim Allen has a home there, last time I checked.

Main reason I picked this place is that it's close to home (I'm from Detroit) I can get there in a hurry, and my grandparents own a decent sized piece of land. The major con in this is that...well, it's close to home. Detroit. If the power goes out, it's only a matter of time before lawless thugs begin roaming the land Road Warrior style. I'm hoping that being able to close the bridges will help mitigate that threat, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a local gang leader watches Waterworld with Kevin Costner and decides to become a pirate. I'm also not entirely sure what I'd do if the Michigan nuclear power plan melted down.

2. Food Plan

I purchased a year supply of food from Pleasant Hill Grain. They're all in sealed buckets, about 802 lbs worth. The only thing I had to add myself was some cooking oil. It's 2300 hundred calories a day for one person, which is really good. That being said, I'm obviously not the only oen taking refuge. It's myself, my wife, and the rest of my family. Grand total, we're talking about 13 people. That gives me about three weeks of food per person, maybe a month and a half if we eat really sparingly. There are deer and rabbits aplenty on the island, like I said, but I'm not sure how long those would last. What I really need are some ideas on how to cheaply create a more sustainable food source in a more urban setting.

3. Guns, Guns, and More Guns

I've got a Mossberg 500 with about fifty rounds of 00 buckshot, a Ruger .357 snub-nose with around a hundred rounds, and a S&W Bodyguard .380 pocket pistol with fifty rounds. For actual hunting, I've got an old .22 bolt action and a gently used 30-30 lever action (with fifty and seventy five rounds respectively) I'd like to have a .308 semi-automatic rifle by this time next year; that'd go a long way towards personal defense, as anyone in the military can attest to. I'd also like to pick up a tactical pistol, since I know the limitations on both the revolver and the .380. I get the feeling I could do fairly well in a skirmish, but there's no way I'd be able to deal with a protracted firefight with what I have. Should I save up and get that assault rifle, or try and get more ammunition for the guns I already have?

4. Hydration is Essential

This is my biggest hurdle. There is no way I can possibly store enough water for 13 for any significant length of time on my grandparent's property. The island is on a river, true, but I'm worried about the chemicals in the water (this is the Detroit river, mind) I know I can just boil water to kill the microscopic critters inside it, but what about whatever pollutants are in there? Worst case scenario, what to do if there ends up being nuclear contamination? And on that note, how can I actually get a large amount of water to my bug-out site? The river is about a mile away by road. I've thought about getting a bunch of empty water cans, and constructing some kind of sled when the gas in my truck runs out, but so far it's all hypothetical. Any ideas?

Looking forward to seeing what you guys and gals can help me come up with.

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war, an eternity of slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods. I'm telling you man, this is a really shitty time to be alive." -Primarch Stan Wolkowski, Sons of Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 12:41 AM

Wolfbane's Flag is: United Kingdom

Your choice of refuge is a big no no, due to the nuclear plant. You have to remember that nobody is going to be maintaining it at all, so it WILL start to degrade pretty quickly.
Your grandparents place would be a good base to ready yourself, then head off to a better location though. As nobody will be mainting the sewage system, that will crap out after a couple of bad storms all over the area, and the backwash is going to destroy the river, not to mention all the other pollutants running in from other areas. And without some major chemical processing, the water will be undrinkable for a very long time.
You need to plan out a new location to head for, upstream of any population centres.
The hard thing about this type of scenario is, that everyone else will be trying to do the same thing as yourself. So all resources easily too hand normally will be gone.
Sadly violence is going to win overall. You need to form into the largest group you can manage, and make sure everybody is able bodied. A few geriatrics, and you are being dragged down. And make your way road warrior style to your new home, or go nomadic. Until the majority of the population has kicked the bucket, you are going to have to fight for every last resource. Plus the more you take with you, the bigger a target you become to other groups.
Aim for combat readiness, manoueverability and strength in numbers if you want to survive.
And dont worry about the guys down in their bunkers with all their stores. Everybody else knows they are down there, and there isnt much they can do to stop people breaking in without opening their doors anyway. Give it a couple of weeks of starvation, and everybody will be queing up to beat their doors down with anything they can lay their hands on. Explosives, jack hammers, screw it even tanks. Lets face it, would you rather starve or just beat their door down?
I much prefer to plan scenarios around deadly biological agents taking out most of the populace, or the ever impressive zombie apocalypse.
Without a disaster removing the majority of the population first, any survival situation is going to be kill or be killed, then eaten.

"Camouflage is the colour of fear... I have no need to hide from my foes... I have no fear of death. My colours I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live! - I am proud to die!".

Check out my baby blue space pups plog here.
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=100290
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 12:53 AM

Also, you need to learn all about what plantlife is edible. All the obvious fruits, nuts and vegetables etc will be picked clean quite rapidly, as the city folks head in country in search of food. If you want to maintain a healthy diet, you are going to have to give up on your taste buds and start eating all the roots/tubers and leaves that taste like ass, but are nutritional. And dont tell anyone outside your group which things are edible, as they may get there before you.

"Camouflage is the colour of fear... I have no need to hide from my foes... I have no fear of death. My colours I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live! - I am proud to die!".

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 12:57 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Explosives. You've got the weapons pretty well covered but like you said it's the bands of roving marauders that will be the problem if Sh!t gets real. Around here i don't have to worry about folks with guns but in your case you can assume any large gangs will have access to firearms and whilst you might be able to put in a good show and maybe even wipe them out. You shouldn't underestimate the psychological effect of home made pyrotechnics. Heck even a few flashbangs will give you an advantage against a large group if they try to make a play for your house.

Also maybe some sort of early warning system that you can pack up and move around. If you are on the island then it can be set on the shore, if you move to a building then you can have them on doors or what have you.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 01:02 AM

PointyBits's Flag is: USA

...I plan to live on a steady diet of Soylent Green when the world ends.

om nom.

"It is the fate of the weak to die unknown, and the destiny of the strong to rule forever. Give me glory or give me death!"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 01:03 AM

Tear gas! How many gangbangers are going to be carrying a gasmask?
FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 01:11 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyBits View Post
...I plan to live on a steady diet of Soylent Green when the world ends.

om nom.
You're going to eat the re-processed remains of a euthanised populace?

Ew.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 02:02 AM

PointyBits's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecrepitDragon View Post
You're going to eat the re-processed remains of a euthanised populace?

Ew.
Enough Ranch Dressing and I won't even need them to be re-processed. If I can eat bone-in chicken I can eat bone-in... soylent. =0P

"It is the fate of the weak to die unknown, and the destiny of the strong to rule forever. Give me glory or give me death!"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-11, 02:14 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointyBits View Post
Enough Ranch Dressing and I won't even need them to be re-processed. If I can eat bone-in chicken I can eat bone-in... soylent. =0P
Has anyone ever told you that sometimes, you're a scary lady?

Just kidding! If I'm having Steak I like to hear it "Moo" in the kitchen just before serving, so I know how you feel!

When it comes to the end of the world though, are we ever going to get Steak again? . . . .

Looks like I'll be behind you in the queue at the "food" dispenser.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-11, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

See, another problem I have is that my wife and I are having to take care of about eleven other people, several of which can't really hoof it like we can, and three small kids (my wife can keep up with me pretty well, and is a crack shot) So just high-tailing it out of there isn't really a possibility. As far as being part of a group, the island township they live on is pretty small, and there are a good amount of hunters and outdoorsman. I don't think there'd be too huge of a problem with violence.

In the event that the reactor did melt down, I'm figuring my best bet would be to get ahold of a boat and go south on the Detroit river. There are quite a few other uninhabited islands on Lake Erie, and that'll put a good enough distance between us and the reactor. Plus I've got a decent store of iodine tablets to last everyone about two months after exposure (those things are fairly cheap in bulk) That being said, I know that reactors are a lot harder to set off then people might think, and the ones in the US have some pretty heavy duty fail safes involved in them.

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war, an eternity of slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods. I'm telling you man, this is a really shitty time to be alive." -Primarch Stan Wolkowski, Sons of Stan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode