A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Default A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones)

Suprised this one of the most epic series hasnt got own topic here yet. Finished few months ago last published novel in series Feast for Crows and it has been maybe among best (with Lotr) fantasy novel series that i have ever read.

Characters are totally believable and totally different compared to many other series. You really hate some of them, love others and feel sad when someone dies. This series has so many twists in them and some outstanding cliffhangers.

Currently waiting for next novel in series A Dance with Dragons, which has been postponed for atleast few years from its original intented released date. But hope is coming this year. This has to be one of longest series (over 3000 pages so far) for me, but it hasnt never got boring.

Biggest new came over year ago, favourite television network of many HBO annonced that series have been planned of these books. There already has been few trailers out and lot of pictures and series should be coming out this april. This got to be one of most waited television series ever created. First season will be of book Game of Thrones, which will be name of this series on television.

few trailers:

I cannot praise this series enough, suggest anyone even mildly interested to read first book of this series before series will come out. Anyone else there thats crazy about this series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 02:40 PM

Oldenhaller's Flag is: United Kingdom

yup

desparately waiting for Dance of Dragons to come out...not sure I'm peeved he's been working on the screenplay for the show rather than the book...

~O
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 02:41 PM

My wifes been trying to convince me to read this series for over a year now. I guess I should really give it a go sometime soon, once I finish the Grey Knights Omnibus.

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-03-11, 03:17 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

My favorite series (besides LOTR and Silmarilion). Though I kinda lost hope we ll see end of series, that fatass George is too busy doing other things then writing books aparently. Instead he write shit about sport and other things on his blog.When he released Feast for the crows he claimed he had like a half next book done.

I'm really looking forward to TV series, though I don't like the look of the most of the cast(I didn't imagine characters that way, they are too old/miscast imo). Still I think it will be good, cause its HBO and books are great. Just it won't be as good as books.
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-06-11, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Some actors are looking little different though as i imagined, but overall it looks great cast. Those images of them look superb. Been thinking reading first book again before this series starts. Have always thinked that LotR is number one on fantasy category, but this might still be the best overall. Persons are more believable, world is grittier place and violence when it happens is harsh.

Looking forwards to this, might be greatest television series ever created, afterall novels are topnotch. Some great photos i found:

post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-06-11, 03:20 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've been meaning to get this, and i'll definitely watch the TV series, but other novels and series have been taking priority like Blood Gorgons or Fate of the Jedi.

However Roninman, a word of caution to you. Do not go into this show expecting a televised version of the novels. Things will be changed and not all of it for the better to some. The Sword of Truth series is a fantastic fantasy series and the TV show Legend of the Seeker was good too, but they were very very different, especially the second season which diverted heavily from the books. I know that the writer George R.R Martin is helping with this show but that still doesn't mean everything will be the same, after all books and TV are vastly different mediums and some things will have to change for it to work, and in some cases be acceptable to have on a TV channel. Again using Sword of Truth as an example but in books its very easy to put things down, and they can be graphic but its just words on paper. If Legend of the Seeker had gotten into the later novels and actually been perfectly faithful to them, it would have gotten an 18 rating for sexuality.

My advice is to enjoy the books for what they are, and enjoy the TV series for what it is. But if you go in expecting them to be the exact same, you'll be very disappointed.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

I would never even doubt that any book can ever be adapted to tv or movies 100%. There will be scenes cut, maybe even some smaller parts taken away, mildly changed but in overall im quite happy about this aslong as main story is there and these keyplayers.

And as George himself is in someway involved in this project, atleast some things has his blessings. Hope that not any unnecessary scenes wont get added.

Still 2 months to go and picking up first book to read in few weeks. I strongly advice that you read book before watching series, not other way around. Books are always more fullfilling.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-09-11, 08:55 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
I would never even doubt that any book can ever be adapted to tv or movies 100%. There will be scenes cut, maybe even some smaller parts taken away, mildly changed but in overall im quite happy about this aslong as main story is there and these keyplayers.

And as George himself is in someway involved in this project, at least some things has his blessings. Hope that not any unnecessary scenes wont get added.

Still 2 months to go and picking up first book to read in few weeks. I strongly advice that you read book before watching series, not other way around. Books are always more fullfilling.
Yeah I feel the same way. Its just when things go completely off course and into their own story that bugs me, and especially when characters look nothing like they should in the books. I have read some things about this series and I notice from the pictures that Daenerys has white hair like the novels. And Tyrion is actually a dwarf (insert politically-correct phrase here).

I have actually ordered the first two novels with some spare cash. Looking forward to reading them.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-15-11, 09:54 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

This series...is decent. Better, in my mind, than The Sword of Truth, and the plot moves faster than The Wheel of Time. Not as good as the Malazan Book of the Fallen, by any means, but the next best massive epic fantasy series that I've found out there.

The sheer, mind-crushing nastiness and vile, contemptible actions made are something of a turn-off. Still, it's a compelling story to follow, even if you don't know which side to root for...and later, don't really want to root for anyone, on account of the various misdeeds committed by every party.

In other words, jolly good fun!

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-15-11, 11:39 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

What nastiness are you talking about? I don't found anything out of place. It's fucking war, it's not a nice thing.

I can't label many characters as evil, they are doing what's necessary for them and their own to win. That shades, that not everyone is good or bad, is what's so good about series. And compelling story with many twist and unexpected things.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 02-15-11 at 11:42 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction > Non-GW Book Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode