A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones) - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 96 (permalink) Old 07-31-11, 11:47 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post

Lord of the Night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 05:42 AM

donskar's Flag is: USA

May I suggest a new thread for the entire work, or that this thread be renamed? I am almost through Clash of KIngs and it is different, but as least as good as, Game of Thrones. This masterpiece deserves a thread devoted to the entire work OR to each individual novel.

This is a GREAT work of literature

"Get the apothecary team. We want him healthy for his execution."
post #83 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 11:22 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post

Lord of the Night

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

post #84 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 07:17 PM

Worldkiller's Flag is: USA

I have not read any of the prior posts in this thread as I want to avoid spoilers but I just wanted to say that I have just finished Storm of Swords and have begun A Feast for Crows (with Dance of Dragons waiting on my bookshelf) and I am absolutely loving this series.

Finished: Too Much Love Will Kill You (working title), an original fiction novel. Working on: Second draft of Too Much Love, and the first draft of A Winter's Tale (working title).
post #85 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Well i already made suggestion earlier that keep this thread clean and without spoilers. Meant that those who want spoilerfree discussion could maybe start a new thread.
post #86 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-03-11, 05:37 AM
Back in "Sexay"!!!~
arumichic's Flag is: USA

I just picked up the first two books yesterday and can't wait to start reading them!~
Painting and reading get in the way of each other.

Looking for work....

Current project(s) with plog(s): None ATM
Upcoming project(s): Plague Hulk

Recently finished project(s): Warboss 2, Lord Hector Rex
post #87 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-04-11, 03:21 AM

donskar's Flag is: USA

NO SPOILERS HERE.
Just finished Clash of Kings night before last (at 0100!). Last night felt oddly empty without anything to read. Could not find Storm of Swords at two of the biggest book stores in Houston, but Barnes and Noble promises delivery tomorrow (Thursday). I foresee another very late night. I found Clash of Kings "felt" very different, maybe because I had not seen it on TV. Much action takes place "off stage." Martin often announces that a battle is about to take place, then cuts away to another character. We do not find out how the battle turned out until later. Example: Catelyn confronts Jaime in prison. The chapter ends with her asking her bodyguard for a sword, but then Martin cuts away. What happened? I'm ambivalent about that technique. I hope Martin does not overuse it. GREAT fantasy series.

"Get the apothecary team. We want him healthy for his execution."
post #88 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-04-11, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Many of this chapters will end to these mini-cliffhangers where you want pov of certain character appear again so you can read what happened next. Sometimes events are told by thirdparty totally and some things take real suprise turns.

Im glad that some major battlescenes are mostly absent from books, these are about characters and their interactions between eachothers and events that occur following these, not a BL novel that "for every enemy fallen, another two took his place"

In Clah of Kings you see some kind of true horros of war, what civilians have to endure between opposing factions and some madmen who lead these parties. Chapters of Arya have to be best of second book.
post #89 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-08-11, 01:22 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

Finished A Dance with Dragons last night after only six days of reading, which is good for me. I'd go as far as to say it's the best book since A Storm of Swords and is definitly as good as A Game of Thrones was, I guess.

Theon's chapters are some of the best in the series, I think. Digusting, but fascinating to read. Lots of psychology and stuff. Plus, they're perfect for building up the character of Ramsay Bolton.

The only Dany chapter I enjoyed was her last one. I mean, she is such an idiot that reading about her isn't even fun anymore. It's just the diary of a teenage girl on an exotic holiday who makes the wrong decision, ignores the advice of others and does whatever she wants. I think Dany fans really ought to think about whether this girl is fit to rule Westeros or not. Especially compared to 'Young Griff' who seems better in every aspect but Dragons. On the other hand, Selmy's POV was brilliant and I can't wait for what happens in Meereen next with him, Tyrion and Jorah.

post #90 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-08-11, 01:59 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
The only Dany chapter I enjoyed was her last one. I mean, she is such an idiot that reading about her isn't even fun anymore. It's just the diary of a teenage girl on an exotic holiday who makes the wrong decision, ignores the advice of others and does whatever she wants. I think Dany fans really ought to think about whether this girl is fit to rule Westeros or not. Especially compared to 'Young Griff' who seems better in every aspect but Dragons. On the other hand, Selmy's POV was brilliant and I can't wait for what happens in Meereen next with him, Tyrion and Jorah.

I agree that Dany has lost her way. She has forgotten everything that Ser Jorah, Drogo and Viserys taught her over the years. She needs to figure out just who she is, and whether or not ruling is something she actually wants to do, or feels that she has too. Personally I don't support Daenerys anymore, I support "Young Griff" and "Griff" in their own quest. He seems a far better ruler than Daenerys, Stannis or Tommen. Barristan's pov chapters were brilliant, I especially loved his duel with the pit fighter Khrazz and this quote,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barristan Selmy
"In the pit that would have taken your arm off old man."
"We are not in the pit."
As for Tyrion.. I do enjoy his chapters but some things have changed for him. His casual request to rape and kill Cersei was disturbing, that is not the Tyrion that we all know and love. Plus his new companion Penny is infuriating, plus I feel that Tyrion's story didn't get very far in the book.

Lord of the Night

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction > Non-GW Book Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode