A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones) - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-02-11, 05:00 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

I also read in my native language, but can't wait that much, i ll buy english one as soon they release it. I ll read english version of previous ones through other means, don't have money to buy them right now when they are so many new books I haven't read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 01:28 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

The official blurb for A Dance with Dragons is out and it sounds epic! Warning some spoilers for those who have not read the third book.

Lord of the Night

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #33 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 03:10 PM

Can't wait, preordered book some time ago. I just have to find time, besides all exams I have now, to read second, 3rd and fourth book again before 12th of july.

post #34 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 04:31 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

I've heard the series drops in quality at A Feast for Crows. Is this true?

I'm currently reading A Clash of Kings; near-finished, and also heard A Storm of Swords is the zenith of the series.
post #35 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 04:45 PM

Well, Feast is weaker. Some of most interesting characters are missing, like Tyrion, Jon, Davos, Danny, etc. He maybe expanded story too much, and he added some new POVs. If there wasn't Jaime in that book, I would find it little boring.

It's certainly not a bad book, but not awesome as Clash and Storm, mainly because of characters it follows. He decided to split them, events on south are described in Feast, and event north, across the sea will be shown in Dance with a dragons.
post #36 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 06:08 PM

Yeah, he split the perspectives, and some of the POV's go nowhere. It's an interesting book, just nowhere as exciting as Storm of Swords. Also, really glad that Dance With Dragons seems to finally be nearing completion. About damn time.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
post #37 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-22-11, 06:32 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
I've heard the series drops in quality at A Feast for Crows. Is this true?

I'm currently reading A Clash of Kings; near-finished, and also heard A Storm of Swords is the zenith of the series.
Well its a matter of perspective. I enjoyed A Feast for Crows just as much as the others, it may not have Dany and the dragons, Jon Snow or Tyrion but it does have Jaime and Cersei, Arya and Brienne of Tarth. Its still quite good but I will admit that the events happening in the book are not on the scale of the previous books.

Also i'm curious. What do you think of A Clash of Kings Bobss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Jackal View Post
Yeah, he split the perspectives, and some of the POV's go nowhere. It's an interesting book, just nowhere as exciting as Storm of Swords. Also, really glad that Dance With Dragons seems to finally be nearing completion. About damn time.
ADwD is not nearing completion, it is completed. Its awaiting publication. Apparently several reviewers have gotten their hands on the books but have signed non-disclosure agreements to not reveal anything plotwise, anything. This is going to be an epic release.

Lord of the Night

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #38 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 04:21 AM

AK74Bob's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
Well the series is made by HBO so it will include nudity, realistic violence, good drama, screenplay, acting and directing. No other cable channel in world comes close. Just look at Sopranos, Deadwood, Wire, Rome, Carnivale, OZ etc..
Also made miniseries Band of Brothers and not so good Pacific. So it was almost known fact when it was announced that HBO is behind this, it would be made seriously and to adult audiences. Newest Spartacus series is great entertainment but as for drama it pales compared to HBO Rome.

Not sure about Jon's mother, when fifth book is released it could be finally revealed to us. Just managed finish first book again and going through Clash of Kings now.
Don't forget Generation Kill! That was an awesome hbo series.

OT, My favorite scene in the book and the hbo series was the conversation between Jon Snow and Maester Aemon. I thought the series did great justice to the book as well.

"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons, and they will follow you into the deepest valley". - Sun Tzu

"My rule is: If you meet the weakest vessel, attack; if it is a vessel equal to yours, attack; and if it is stronger than yours, also attack..." - Admiral Stepan O. Makarov

"A brave man may fall, but he cannot yield" - Roman proverb

Last edited by AK74Bob; 06-24-11 at 03:29 AM.
post #39 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 04:31 AM

AK74Bob's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
I've been reading a lot more of this series and I wanted to provoke a discussion about a certain topic. But its rather spoilery, in theory at least, so i'll hide it.

My question is simple. Who are Jon Snow's parents?

Lord of the Night
Only Howland Reed knows.

"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons, and they will follow you into the deepest valley". - Sun Tzu

"My rule is: If you meet the weakest vessel, attack; if it is a vessel equal to yours, attack; and if it is stronger than yours, also attack..." - Admiral Stepan O. Makarov

"A brave man may fall, but he cannot yield" - Roman proverb
post #40 of 96 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 04:35 AM

The theory that Lord of the Night proposed is, as I recall, a pretty popular fan-theory. Also fits in the timeline perfectly.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction > Non-GW Book Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode