A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones) - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-16-11, 01:08 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Precisely that--it's war, and one of the most unflinching, harrowing, brutal portrayals of it in fiction. It's all the ugliest and most cancerous behaviors of humankind given free reign, the abandoning of nobility and virtue in order to dig the knife in and twist it.

Then throw in all the incest, rape, betrayal, mutilation, and abuse that takes place in those places that aren't turned into charnel-house battlefields; all the loss of innocence and lecherous lusting; all the petty backstabbings and small-minded pillaging...

GRRM's characters suffer, but they're on no noble path. The pain they go through warps and embitters them, until what they contribute to the plot is the infliction of further suffering on those few innocents remaining.

There is no redemption in this series. There are no happy endings. There is no overarching heroic journey, message, or commentary on the human condition--unless it is that last, and stating that humans are wretched, foul, ill-fated things. Every virtuous character is betrayed, killed, or succumbs to hatred and bitterness. The only successes are those motivated by the need for revenge, and those triumphs are shallow and taste of ashes.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 08:24 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've nearly finished A Game of Thrones and I must say this is a really good series. Some characters I can't get enough of like Daenarys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister, my two favorites in the whole series, but there are some characters that I couldn't really give a damn about like Catelyn Tully and Arya Stark. Not the author's fault, I just don't really like them.

Once I finish the first novel i'll move onto the second, A Clash of Kings. Looking forward to it.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 11:17 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

My previous post sort of illustrates why I've got high hopes for A Dance With Dragons (to be released July 12th, 2011!), actually. Daenerys seems to be the sole exception to what I've been talking about. She arises from the ashes of destruction (and not only metaphorically) not embittered, but determined. She has lost the last scraps of what made her naive, leaving only a force to be reckoned with. It appears that she is the sole remaining redeeming faction in the series...

So I'm looking forward to getting that next book more than I was in picking up the few books before it, really.

Of course, GRRM will probably piss on these last few embers of my hope, but...ah, hell. Whatever.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 03-07-11 at 11:19 PM.

post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 11:23 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

Both Lannister brothers are awesome characters, as is Hound, and Davos. But we definitely have different tastes. I find goody hero characters like Jon Snow boring(although he also made some tough choices).

Can't wait for the Dance.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 03-07-11 at 11:26 PM.
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 11:45 PM

Commissar Schultz's Flag is: USA

According to his facebook site:

"My friends at Harper Collins Voyager have confirmed that the British edition of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS will also be released on July 12 of this year, simultaneously with the American edition."

(Please ignore what it says on Amazon.UK. I am sure they will get it right eventually)

Yeah, I've been reading the series since it first came out. But it takes so long for the books to release I'm going to have to re-read all the books, and get a refresher course in what's going on. I read the Feast and with all the references to the prior books, I admit I was lost for a bit. Yeah, I love the series but I still kinda got mad that the Starks are scattered far and wide with none of them (kids) knowing their siblings are alive. It is really a great series, almost comparable to the LoTR books, with less fantasy and more realism..for the most part at least.

Wonder what this does

Last edited by Commissar Schultz; 03-07-11 at 11:49 PM.
post #16 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-08-11, 12:38 AM
Apathetic Megalomaniac

Geist's Flag is: USA

Oh, I love the Game of Thrones. Definitely up there with LotR. I read all of the books last year and I wish there was a memory wiper available so that I could wipe my mind of GoT and read it all over again.

I'll have to watch the show before I make any judgments about if the actors fit, but the one they picked for Tyrion was in fact the person I thought would make a great Tyrion. I guess they thought so too.

post #17 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-08-11, 04:05 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
My previous post sort of illustrates why I've got high hopes for A Dance With Dragons (to be released July 12th, 2011!), actually. Daenerys seems to be the sole exception to what I've been talking about. She arises from the ashes of destruction (and not only metaphorically) not embittered, but determined. She has lost the last scraps of what made her naive, leaving only a force to be reckoned with. It appears that she is the sole remaining redeeming faction in the series...

So I'm looking forward to getting that next book more than I was in picking up the few books before it, really.

Of course, GRRM will probably piss on these last few embers of my hope, but...ah, hell. Whatever.
I was actually going to make that point but felt too tired to type it out. But I agree with you on that, out of all the characters in the entire series Daenerys is the only one who is fit to rule anybody, or a kingdom. She is strong but she realizes she must learn how to be a queen and unlike Cersei Lannister she cares about her people and wants the best for them.

So i'm quite looking forward to A Dance with Dragons, mainly for more of Dany and her Dragons. Very much looking forward to see what will happen to Drogon after, what he does in the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelSpectre View Post
The author says that no character is safe in the story, all of them are capable of dying. However I feel there is one exception to that rule, Daenerys Targaryen. Without her the entire Eastern Kingdoms storyline falls apart and the return of the Dragons with it, her storyline is enough that many other characters will die before she is considered, at least in my view.

Edit: This may interest a lot of people.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...646#post901646

Lord of the Night

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 03-08-11 at 04:57 PM.
post #18 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

You will definately see some charactes dying rather unexpectedly, as would happen in real life. But i can bet too, someone of those surviving atleast until last book.

Some new interesting persons are introduced later after first book and things are getting heated up. Tyrion is maybe my favourite character on this series definately.

Theres also few persons that i absolutely hate, even quite many 40K "badboys" seem likeable compared to them.
post #19 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-12-11, 10:50 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I started Game of Thrones yesterday after I read all your positive responses to this series. It's been on my to read list, for years but the upcoming series inspired me to get it started. I hope it lives up to the hopes you've given me.
post #20 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-12-11, 11:55 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
I started Game of Thrones yesterday after I read all your positive responses to this series. It's been on my to read list, for years but the upcoming series inspired me to get it started. I hope it lives up to the hopes you've given me.
Its a very good book, but it took me far longer to read it then a BL book of similar length. It uses a small font text and i'd estimate that each page text length is worth two of a BL book. So while its around 810 pages of story I would say if the text was enlarged it might come to over 1600. So it took me quite a long time to get it done, i'd estimate around 3-4 weeks.

Lord of the Night

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction > Non-GW Book Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode