Favourite Books/Series? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-13, 10:57 AM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Well lets see, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, Devils Guard by George Robert Elford,Chickenhawk by Robert Mason, A Rumour of War by Philip J Caputo, Sven Hassels WW2 series of books and Anthony Beevors WW2 histories, Killing Pablo(brilliant) and Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden

David Gemmels novels especially the ones with good old Druss, A Song Of Ice And Fire (game of thrones) by George R R Martin simply magnificent, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, about 75% of the Horus Heresy series, they are just ones off the top of my head as there so many great books out there

Edit: The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brookes fucking hilarious as well as extremely practical disaster prep guide!

Last edited by Old Man78; 05-15-13 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-13, 01:09 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brookes fucking hilarious as well as extremely practical disaster prep guide!
Damn, forgot about that, and World War Z. Two great reads.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-13, 04:18 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

Just one series off the top of my head, that hasn't been listed already:

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - combine urban fantasy, noir detective, and epic storytelling. Good series.

However, I can recommend a couple of authors who you should read all of their work:

CS Friedman - she has written two fantasy trilogies and several stand alone books. All of them are great. Her book, "This Alien Shore" is one of the best science fiction books I have read.

David Brin - Excellent science fiction author. The uplift series was marvelous along with many good stand alone books, like "The Kiln People".

Erik Larson - Writes interesting historical "reenactments". Well researched books that center on major achievements/cultural events and surrounding cultural changes. "Thunderstruck" and "Devil in the White City" are both stand out books.

Of course all the classics, Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, etc.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-13, 05:27 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. To the OP: I question your choice in judgement of labelling The Inheritance Cycle as awesome fantasy. Film or no film, it still feels like a rip off of Star Wars/Lord of the Rings and the plot has been done thousands and thousands of times before. And if you think that's complicated, read ASoIaF.

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Another strong epic fantasy trilogy. Sanderson can plot really well and create likeable lead characters. And you also have the benefit with unlike Martin, that the trilogy has already been completed.

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. If you haven't read this then you're not a fantasy fan. Enough said. Same goes for ASoIaF.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The Adventures of everybody's favourite Wizard Private Investigator, Harry Dresden. Fun, action packed and awesome even if I'm not caught up on the series.

Sharpe by Bernard Cornwell if you like historical fiction, then you can't really go wrong here. Cornwell is the King of Historical Fiction in the same way that Butcher is the king of Urban Fantasy.

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. Awesome, gripping fantasy trilogy that's already been completed. If you like Assassins in your fantasy then you should enjoy this.

The Culture by Iain M. Banks - Having noticed that my list so far is largely historical fiction/fantasy, you can't do any wrong with Banks, who is again, the best at Space Opera.

Gone by Michael Grant - Thought I'd throw in some YA in there given the OP's choices. Michael Grant's series has recently come to a conclusion and it's pretty epic all the way through.

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. The Northern Lights (We shall not mention that movie, The Golden Compass, nor the fact that they changed the book title with its release in the UK), currently has the title for my favourite YA book and was one of the few novels that got me into reading. Awesome, great characters and some awesome plot right the way through the trilogy. And the best part is, if you have seen the movie and not read the first book yet, then you'll be in for a treat as the Film seemed to end completely before the final showdown.

This is not a definitive list, and I'll probably update it as it goes along, and neither are they in any order, although A Song of Ice and Fire is most certainly top. I won't mention any Black Library novels in this thread, because I've done it so many times that I've lost count in the main Black Library Forum and this is technically for Non-GW books anyway.

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 05-15-13 at 05:31 PM.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 04:09 PM

I wont quote vaz as his post was so long but dude, you put Bravo Two Zero in the wrong section. It goes under humour....

The Dragonlance Chronicles are the best fantasy books i've read by a million miles, nothing else i've seen comes close. The Time of the Twins trilogy was also very good and there were some excellent stand alone books such as The Legend of Huma.

The Lost Fleet is a good series of books for those who want to read about ships in space combat. A very different take on space battles and tries to employ real world physics rather than making stuff up to suit what the storyteller wants. I wish they had this guy writing Battle Fleet Gothic stuff. There is a second series of books as well but i've not started reading those yet.

The Belgariad and The Mallorean are two good series. Effectively one long story in two parts over 10 books.

Non Fantasy/Sci fi.
Tom Clancys Jack Ryan series is very good, From the Hunt for Red October up to Debt of Honour, after that they get very poor and borderline racist. Without Remorse and Rainbow Six are also excellent. Avoid Op Centre books; though they carry his name, Clancy didnt write them and they are really bad.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-26-13, 09:36 AM
bobss's Flag is: England

ASOIAF - GRRM. Not exactly genre-breaking, but simply a well-crafted medieval fantasy epic that stands near the top of modern fantasy literature.

The First Law - Abercrombie's a talent, and his debut series a real treat.

(Almost anything by) Robin Hobb - her books take time to appreciate and there's very little instant gratification, but the care and attention the characters and their storylines receive is fantastic. Perhaps how books ought to be.

The Lightbringer Series - Brent Weeks. A creative magic system if ever I saw one.

Berserk - Kentaro Miura. A series of graphic novels, this. The prose is worthy of any novel in my experience, and the artwork is gorgeous. No surprise it's been published since 1990 with no end in sight.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-26-13, 03:33 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

there was a series of books out back in the 80s called the survivalist, i have long forgotten the author but it was about a man that travelled across the states looking for his family after Nuclear armageddon, was a good read too, reminded me of the RPG twilight 2000.

during the 90s the world of darkness books entered my at the time collections not just the RPGs but the novels.

i also love the Gotrek and Felix books by William King and the Dragonlance sagas...Wies and Hickmann were a great team and i really loved Raistlin as the anti-hero
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-02-13, 10:43 AM

The first 6 Dragonlance books are what hooked me on fantasy. I was reading Stephen King in elementary school and on into high school. One of my friends had us over to try Dungeons and Dragons and I loved it (still do). He also sent me home with Dragons of Autumn Twilight and it was game, set, match. I can't even think of the last time I read a book set in the "real" world.

Drizzt, one of my favorite characters of all time. The early books were the best but up until a few years ago I waited on the next book with baited breath. In his original appearances Artemis Entreri is one of my favorite villains of all time.

Frank Herbert's Dune was also one of my favorites. The original is easily the best book in the series but there are a couple others that are worth a read. Avoid the ones put out by his son after his death at all cost.

I'd also throw another "vote" for the Vampire Hunter D books.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 10:11 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilo44 View Post
My favourite book series is also Skulduggery Pleasant for all the same reasons LotN said. I'm on book 7 at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Daerys_Arrun View Post
I'd also throw another "vote" for the Vampire Hunter D books.
You both have great taste.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-13, 08:51 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Dragon Lance by Weis and Hickman - This series is what got me into reading fantasy. It was the artwork of Larry Elmore that drew my attention originally (I own all of those cover on large lithos now) and i have been hooked to this day. Chronicles and Legends are two of my favorite trilogies ever written. While I am not a huge fan of the 4th and 5th age books, the newest series, The Lost Chronicles is a nice series that enhances the original series.

The Dark Elf books by RA Salvatore - shortly after discovering Dragon Lance I ventured into the writings of Bob Salvatore. Drizzt is my favorite fantasy character of all time. I have been reading and rereading these books and I was 10ish years old. While some of the later books have the feeling of being over done, the next book The Companions coming out later this year really adds and breaths new life into the series.

Drenai series by David Gemmell - a knowledge book clerk sold me on this series of books, I was looking for works be Salvatore tag I had not read yet and was not having any luck. He lead me to Gemmell, saying his style was similar to Bob's. Starting with Legend I quickly consumed the entire series. I was devastated when I heard he had passed.

Brent Weeks - so far this author has 2 trilogies out, the first being Night Angel and the second Lightbringer. While Weeks works are not wholly unique, he spins his tales in such a way that he takes them, and your attention and makes it his. This is an author to watch out for.

To be continued.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction > Non-GW Book Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode