LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Default Iain M. Banks Has Terminal Cancer

http://www.orbitbooks.net/2013/04/03...om-iain-banks/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain M. Banks

I am officially Very Poorly.

After a couple of surgical procedures, I am gradually recovering from jaundice caused by a blocked bile duct, but that – it turns out – is the least of my problems.

I first thought something might be wrong when I developed a sore back in late January, but put this down to the fact I’d started writing at the beginning of the month and so was crouched over a keyboard all day. When it hadn’t gone away by mid-February, I went to my GP, who spotted that I had jaundice. Blood tests, an ultrasound scan and then a CT scan revealed the full extent of the grisly truth by the start of March.

I have cancer. It started in my gall bladder, has infected both lobes of my liver and probably also my pancreas and some lymph nodes, plus one tumour is massed around a group of major blood vessels in the same volume, effectively ruling out any chance of surgery to remove the tumours either in the short or long term.

The bottom line, now, I’m afraid, is that as a late stage gall bladder cancer patient, I’m expected to live for ‘several months’ and it’s extremely unlikely I’ll live beyond a year. So it looks like my latest novel, The Quarry, will be my last.

As a result, I’ve withdrawn from all planned public engagements and I’ve asked my partner Adele if she will do me the honour of becoming my widow (sorry – but we find ghoulish humour helps). By the time this goes out we’ll be married and on a short honeymoon. We intend to spend however much quality time I have left seeing friends and relations and visiting places that have meant a lot to us. Meanwhile my heroic publishers are doing all they can to bring the publication date of my new novel forward by as much as four months, to give me a better chance of being around when it hits the shelves.

There is a possibility that it might be worth undergoing a course of chemotherapy to extend the amount of time available. However that is still something we’re balancing the pros and cons of, and anyway it is out of the question until my jaundice has further and significantly, reduced.

Lastly, I’d like to add that from my GP onwards, the professionalism of the medics involved – and the speed with which the resources of the NHS in Scotland have been deployed – has been exemplary, and the standard of care deeply impressive. We’re all just sorry the outcome hasn’t been more cheerful.

A website is being set up where friends, family and fans can leave messages for me and check on my progress. It should be up and running during this week and a link to it will be on my official website at www.iain-banks.net as soon as it’s ready.

Iain Banks
This is really, really sad news, especially considering that Iain M Banks is not only one of my favourite authors, but The Player of Games might just be my favourite novel that I've read, ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 12:13 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

yep that's a bugger for sure.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 12:16 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I have heard of Iain M. Banks but never read any of his material, sad news indeed

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 12:17 PM

Turnip86's Flag is: England

Sad news. I've read a couple of his books and while I was never a massive fan he's a talented writer and it'll be a shame to lose someone who has influenced so many sci-fi fans and inspired a lot of other writers.

Nice to see he's at least going to try and live out the time he has left to the fullest though
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 03:27 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have never read Iain Banks but I am aware of how popular he is. Science Fiction literature will soon lose one of it's greatest.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 03:32 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

That sucks balls on a grand scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 04:04 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
That sucks balls on a grand scale
Seconded. I've read a couple of his books, both scifi and mainstream, and on the back of that had recently downloaded most of his scifi books to my reader. My father-in-law died due because of pancreatic cancer last year, so I can imagine too well what's ahead for him. Terrible news.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 04:15 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
My father-in-law died due because of pancreatic cancer last year, so I can imagine too well what's ahead for him. Terrible news.
Here's hoping that he gets most of his remaining time in relatively good health to get everything done that he wants. After that, I hope it's pretty quick and easy for him once he's good and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-13, 07:16 PM

That's devastating, really terrible to hear such a great writer taken out in his prime. I hope he gets the most joy he can out of these last few months
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-13, 09:32 AM

Very very sad, one of my favorite writers,,,,,,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction > Non-GW Book Discussion

Tags
iain m banks , non-gw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode