50 Shades of Grey - WTF? - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 01:26 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMAlice View Post
Haven't read it, don't intend to. It bores me (I read a short extract).

How did the conversation turn to the Sub/Dom thing anyway?

Alice
That's what I was wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Alice
Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that is the relationship between the characters in the book.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #53 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 01:31 PM

Took long enough to get the backlash hate thread going here, I thought you guys were losing your touch. But never fear your reputation is untarnished, let no popular thing go unbashed.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog

post #54 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
Took long enough to get the backlash hate thread going here, I thought you guys were losing your touch. But never fear your reputation is untarnished, let no popular thing go unbashed.
Right, and what kind of response are you looking for with baiting like that anyway?

Personally, if this is bashing and hatemongering then, at least from my point of view, I would rather see this then groups of members taking it upon themselves to harass others.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #55 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
If the majority of people were more intelligent, cultured and discerning and not constantly led around by their base desires by marketing men across the globe, then maybe, just maybe, 'popular' wouldn't be the slur it is today.

But most people are ignorant and afraid to be different so when a fad comes along, rather than making an informed decision they decide, 'I like this too, because everyone else likes it and I don't want to be different'.

What they don't realise is that nobody really liked the thing to begin with, but the media constantly played it up until people couldn't help but purcahase or buy into the fad in order see for themselves what all the fuss was about and to make sure they aren't left out.

All the while their opinion was already pre-determined to be favourable as that was what they were told to think right at the start of the fad in question.

Welcome to Late-Capitalism Aramoro, a mode of production dominated, not by economics or politics but by culture.

Last edited by D-A-C; 08-02-12 at 02:10 PM.
post #56 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Right, and what kind of response are you looking for with baiting like that anyway?

Personally, if this is bashing and hatemongering then, at least from my point of view, I would rather see this then groups of members taking it upon themselves to harass others.
It's aimless self aggrandising elitism, I mean yeah we can all feel good about ourselves saying popular thing x is shit but it's just so we can all fit into the mould we've defined for ourselves. People like to pretend they're better than pop culture by just bashing everything that becomes popular but it's just sad in reality.

I'm guess that statement is a dig about the Sakura/Vanquisher thing, glad you brought it up. I was just thinking how the site has been a lot more settled since all the troll(s) got banned. So good work mods and to everyone who brought them to the mods attention. Yay us.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #57 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 02:19 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Alice

Because it's the central point of the entire trilogy?

Seriously, 6 pages in and I'm still the only person who bothered to read them before judging them?

Can we move this into the "Off Topic" section of the forum? After all, in order for their to be a discussion about something, both sides kind of need to know what the fuck they're talking about.

However if random and pointless bashing and jokes is what we are going for, that's cool, it just probably shouldn't be in this particular sub-forum...

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #58 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 02:29 PM

Rems's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
It's aimless self aggrandising elitism, I mean yeah we can all feel good about ourselves saying popular thing x is shit but it's just so we can all fit into the mould we've defined for ourselves. People like to pretend they're better than pop culture by just bashing everything that becomes popular but it's just sad in reality.
Except in this case these books are objectively 'shit'. They're badly written, featuring poorly developed characters. It was actual fan fiction since adapted into its current form.

It's not a matter of bias, or intellectual superiority, or elitism, these books are by objective standards, poor literature.

That doesn't mean people can't (or shouldn't) enjoy reading them, but just because something is popular doesn't mean it's particularly sophisticated or good. All it means is that it appeals to enough people for various reasons to become popular.

post #59 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 02:35 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rems View Post
Except in this case these books are objectively 'shit'. They're badly written, featuring poorly developed characters [...] these books are by objective standards, poor literature.
So a good concept, executed poorly, is worthy of nothing but contempt?

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #60 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
Seriously, 6 pages in and I'm still the only person who bothered to read them before judging them?
Maybe?

Personally, I have no interest in the books and have no intention of reading them. Ill still laugh if someone bashes them and I find it funny, but I also have no intent to pass judgment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction > Non-GW Book Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode