Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - Reply to Topic
Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

Thread: What if you were PROVED wrong? Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
05-14-13 05:57 AM
cheeto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
I honestly don't think I would change much.

Be sort of "oh ok well how about that there is/isn't a God" ..... carry on as normal.
Same here. My sense of right and wrong which are tied to my religion still apply either way.
05-13-13 05:53 PM
Dave T Hobbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
Seeing as was taking a scientific stance, I'm not sure what your point here is. I did not flat out deny the existence of "gods", merely commented that no evidence in a scientific sense that god exists.
I said this before somewhere, but I'll say it again. Science and religion are not anathema to each other. The world is full of religious scientists. Though most of them do know that whatever personal "evidence" they have isn't scientific in nature and as such is pretty much useless to anyone but themselves.
Acknowledge of this does not make anyones religious beliefs less true, they just don't hold up scientifically as any results produced aren't easily replicated by anyone.
It seems I misinterpreted your post, which might be why some of my response does not appear relevant to you; it sounds like we actually agree that religion exists as a subjective experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
The existence of Ryan Giggs (whoever the hell that is) on the other hand, is very much easily proved by anyone with the dedication to attempt to track him down.
Ryan Giggs is (was) a football player.

My point was that there are many things we accept without the effort to track down personal proof: such as, that the people we see on sports broadcasts are not actors playing parts.
05-12-13 05:58 PM
AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
Having conversed with them, I have more direct evidence of my Gods than I do of Ryan Giggs. Unless you have a method of distinguishing which sense data is evidence and which is not without relying on the acceptance that someone else is right then I can reject his existence for lack of proof.
Seeing as was taking a scientific stance, I'm not sure what your point here is. I did not flat out deny the existence of "gods", merely commented that no evidence in a scientific sense that god exists.
I said this before somewhere, but I'll say it again. Science and religion are not anathema to each other. The world is full of religious scientists. Though most of them do know that whatever personal "evidence" they have isn't scientific in nature and as such is pretty much useless to anyone but themselves.
Acknowledge of this does not make anyones religious beliefs less true, they just don't hold up scientifically as any results produced aren't easily replicated by anyone.
The existence of Ryan Giggs (whoever the hell that is) on the other hand, is very much easily proved by anyone with the dedication to attempt to track him down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
As we are having a discussion of what we would do if proof either way were provided it seems somewhat outside the discussion to say no proof has been provided yet.
True. So i'll drop this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
I am not aware of any scientific studies on whether contracting with God(s) produces a result above coincidence.
Damn. Well, can't hurt trying (unless you are the goat I get a hold of). I'll let you know of my results.
05-12-13 01:18 PM
andygorn I have found that some elements of Paganism + Wicca + stuff like past lives do happen as desired.

I don't follow a religion as such, but my philosophy would evolve/change to accommodate/agree with whatever this truth was.
05-12-13 01:07 PM
Dave T Hobbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
The difference here is that I am not a manchild. I know the difference between evidence and coincidences explained to be the work of "greater powers". Scientifically, no evidence of any gods existence have ever been presented.
Having conversed with them, I have more direct evidence of my Gods than I do of Ryan Giggs. Unless you have a method of distinguishing which sense data is evidence and which is not without relying on the acceptance that someone else is right then I can reject his existence for lack of proof.

As we are having a discussion of what we would do if proof either way were provided it seems somewhat outside the discussion to say no proof has been provided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
But does it work? If it does you can bet your finest silk hat I'm gonna throw goats on bonfires. I better throw on a donkey or two just to keep bits happy too.
I am not aware of any scientific studies on whether contracting with God(s) produces a result above coincidence.

As I do not have a clone of myself I do not have a control to test my own faith, but am happy with my life so view my faith as functioning for me.
05-12-13 12:37 PM
HOGGLORD Going back to the initial question, I would presumably convert to whatever religion proved itself to be true, or if aethism proved to be true, shrug, feel slightly dissapointed (like a slightly watered down version of when you find out that santa isn't real), then go on with my life.
Or, if certain religions (say, the classic ancient greek one) proved to be true in a certain fashion, I would accidentally gaze directly upon one of the gods themselves in their true form and have my essence torn asunder by the sheer power that this being exuded, which would probably ruin my day.
05-12-13 12:26 PM
AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
This is the core dispute between atheism and religion; members of any religion have seen their God(s) produce results and offer evidence of existence.
The difference here is that I am not a manchild. I know the difference between evidence and coincidences explained to be the work of "greater powers". Scientifically, no evidence of any gods existence have ever been presented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
If you are looking for tangible this-world results I suggest investigating paganisms. Although some have a hierarchical worship structure, many of them barter with God(s) for animal servitors, sexual prowess, and other gifts.
But does it work? If it does you can bet your finest silk hat I'm gonna throw goats on bonfires. I better throw on a donkey or two just to keep bits happy too.
05-12-13 12:10 PM
Dave T Hobbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
...some unproductive divinity who, until now, have done fuck all to let people know about it's existence....
This is the core dispute between atheism and religion; members of any religion have seen their God(s) produce results and offer evidence of existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
Unless this "God" has a change of attitude, suddenly start to give a shit, turns up at my dinner parties shooting two-headed monkeys on unicycles out of his arse to entertain my guests and grant me the 11 inch wang I always wanted, God neither deserves nor catches my interest.
From what I know of Abrahamic religions their God(s) are not very big on quid pro quo.

If you are looking for tangible this-world results I suggest investigating paganisms. Although some have a hierarchical worship structure, many of them barter with God(s) for animal servitors, sexual prowess, and other gifts.
05-11-13 09:24 PM
Keen4e It entirely depends what kind of god that guy would be. If an omnipotent, omnipresent an omniscient being, I would ask him whether he can create a rock, that he cannot lift and other known paradoxes that rise from these three features.
If he were a kind of deistic god, who just happened to create universe and does not care about it anymore, I would just move along.
If he were the kind of sadistic old testament monster I wold pray that superman exists too and that he can somehow stop him. :D
If he were the gentle new testament God I would try to discuss with him, ask him whether hell is real or not and try to convince him to help people who need him.
I could go on, but I think I made my point.... in short saying that God exists is a completely vacuous statement as long as you are not more precise on which God you are talking about.
05-11-13 08:28 PM
AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH I'm going to bet it would have zero influence on my life. Just because we suddenly could prove how some unproductive divinity who, until now, have done fuck all to let people know about it's existence is a certainty doesn't really make me want to evaluate squat.

Unless this "God" has a change of attitude, suddenly start to give a shit, turns up at my dinner parties shooting two-headed monkeys on unicycles out of his arse to entertain my guests and grant me the 11 inch wang I always wanted, God neither deserves nor catches my interest.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome