creating a website - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves, ask questions and be welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-10, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Maverike Prime's Flag is: USA

creating a website

Okay, here's the situation. I currently have blog: Maverike Prime's Forces and sometime in the not too distant future I will be upgrading/upscaling it to an actual .com website. Now presently the content of the current blog makes it's little more then a "Here's what I've done" sort of thing. I want to make it more then that. I want to make a website that can actually serve the Warhammer community by and large. So here my first step:

What should be on it? What would make you go to a particular site for warhammer material? Modeling tutorials? Painting Guides? Army Galleries? Battle reports? Product reviews?
I've gone to From the Warp (surprise surprise, it's actually run by someone I know) and It's got lots of information. But does that make it a good site? It's got lots of links to other warhammer site (my present one included), but does that make it a good site or just a good jumping off point?

I guess the best way to sum this question up is to ask: What do you want to find on a Warhammer/40k site?

Oh and one other thing. I do intend to open the website up the community by supporting other people's efforts, posting ads, and inviting others to post their material to the site as well. So telling me you would want the ability to post something or something in that line is fine too.

Be Sure to follow me on:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-10, 12:34 AM
Daz

Daz's Flag is: Australia

A wiki based painting and modelling tutorial could be handy, but might get confusing as some people tips and tricks interfere with others. I just like wikis, despite their flaws.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-10, 06:41 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

First of all, i would make sure that your hosting package and domain are with a reliable provider.
I assume that you are aware of all the tricks and scams when it comes to web hosting companies like over selling, domain ransoming, etc etc?
If you need to know anything, feel free to ask.

For your website itself, if you want it to take off then you really need to do 1 of 2 things.

1- Fill your site with LOTS of REALLY GOOD content and update it REGUARLY.
There are literally millions of websites out there dedicated to miniature wargaming. The chances of people looking at yours on a regular basis is slim to nil.
Going back 10+ years it was a lot easier to get your website looked at. Now with the number of websites registered you are nothing more than a drop in the ocean.

2- Spend a fortune on advertising. It can be quite effective, but EXTREMELY expensive.
Problem is, it will require a MASSIVE investment (probably in the $100,000+ region), which is impossible to justify on a "hobby" web design project.

I have created several websites that got used on a regular basis, but due to the cost of the upkeep of the domain and the hosting cost, along with the minuscule income from advertising, i was forced to abandon everything.
I now only own 1 domain and 1 shared hosting account with an extremely reliable and reputable host, and basically just use the hosting account as a way to access my files from any computer and occasionally muck around with php scripts and mySQL databases for fun rather than public access.

Although i dont have any advise for the content of your website, i hope that what i have said will help you out a bit.
Dont expect to make money out of it. It will cost you a lot more than you will make, but the main thing is to have fun doing it.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing the result.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-10, 07:50 AM
Daz

Daz's Flag is: Australia

I sort of got the impression that more than being a major player in miniature wargaming sites, he wanted to use the site as a blog with a little extra tacked on to the side to be useful to others.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-10, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

KingOfCheese and Daz are both pretty much right. What I'm leaning toward doing is inviting multiple people on board as writers while I function as the admin (In addition to being a writer). Each person can post about pretty much whatever they want so long as it's hobby related. So in that particular venue it would be a blog site. That way there should be a roughly constant flow of information and have it be different enough to interest a variety of people.

The other part of the site will be more static and would be used for reference. That is where I'll post tutorials and such. As a bit of a bonus to anyone who does come on board as a writer, I'm going to set up a gallery system for the posters if they want to display their armies/models.

As it stands right now, I would like to bring in a range of content from model building and converting, to rules discussion and army lists, to model reviews and battle reports. If I can get 6 or 7 other people to write in addition to myself I figure that will give a broad enough range of individuals to cover a variety of topics such that it won't turn into a "This is a X-army" site.

I know that kinda sounds like I knew what I wanted when I made the original post and maybe I kinda did I just didn't know I had it.

I did some looking at different Word Press themes and I found one that I like the lay out of, but I'm not crazy about the colors. I'm looking into seeing what's coded how and what it will take to change it.

But here's the layout:

I figure it'll have the most recent 3 posts referenced right there with a rotating banner of the last 6-8 posts (or maybe particularly note worthy posts like Battle reports from Adepticon or Games Day).

So I guess the next question is "Does anyone want to join me as a writer?"

Be Sure to follow me on:

Last edited by Maverike Prime; 09-30-10 at 03:08 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-10, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

he he I love the power I have to make everyone scatter simply by stating "Anyone want to help me?" now if there is just some way I can make that work out to be a profit for me...

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-10, 03:43 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverike Prime View Post
he he I love the power I have to make everyone scatter simply by stating "Anyone want to help me?" now if there is just some way I can make that work out to be a profit for me...
Say it in a bank?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 03:55 PM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverike Prime View Post

Bad statement...

This is wargaming... the only sites I know of that run profit are BoLs, Librarium, CMON and TMP. You simply won't make a meaningful profit until you have 750k or more visitors per month. Even then CPM and CPC networks return fuck all.

My advise is look at the successful sites in your niche, take all the points that make them successful add your own unique spin (simply copying sites doesn't work) and promote the shit out of it.

You'll struggle to find decent contributors too, we have 160k visitors a month and very few "article" writers.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
Bad statement...
My advise is look at the successful sites in your niche, take all the points that make them successful add your own unique spin (simply copying sites doesn't work) and promote the shit out of it.
Which kind of leads back to my original question of what sites you (you being anyone who's reading this thread) visit. Like I said, I personally I don't like BoLS. I think the layout is waaaaay too cramped. The information itself is good, I just can't stand reading it on the site itself.

Librarium, if you mean the Wiki that's a whole separate comparison. Wiki's and News sites serve 2 different purposes, though that can be modified to cross-cover.

CMON and TMP, don't know which ones those are. Mind dropping links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
You'll struggle to find decent contributors too, we have 160k visitors a month and very few "article" writers.
I like a challenge. Speaking of challenges, I sent you a PM Jezlad. Did you get it?

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 05:23 PM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Which kind of leads back to my original question of what sites you (you being anyone who's reading this thread) visit. Like I said, I personally I don't like BoLS. I think the layout is waaaaay too cramped. The information itself is good, I just can't stand reading it on the site itself.
If your aim is to make profit you'll need a layout like BoLS.

They have huge areas dedicated to advertising space and all the articles are on seperate pages. Remember when they first started they had articles on the front page? Well now they're getting paid "CPM" (cost per impression) they need the most page views they can get. This does 2 things, makes them more attractive to prospecive advertisers (they can claim to be more popular and busier if they have millions more page views) plus the extra impressions from people visiting earns more CPM revenue.

BoLS is a money making engine. They have huge income and no outgoings... google host their site and they don't pay any contributors. Its 99% filler shit designed to gain page clicks...

Librarium is a forum - Librarium Online. The site is riddled with tonnes of banner ads above the fold. It's really quite distracting.

No I didnt get your PM either can you send it over again?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/

http://theminiaturespage.com/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode