creating a website - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves, ask questions and be welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 11:28 PM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

NEVER make a website with the expectation of making money from it.

Do it for the fun of it instead.

If you are intending to make money from it, you will get bored within the first couple of months and end up giving up on it.

Getting traffic is extremely hard. Simply having a 40K blog is nowhere near enough of a niche for people to bother visiting your site. It will offer them nothing that they couldnt get from other sites.

If you want it to be successful, then try to narrow your focus. Make it purely about Imperial Guard, or about Dark Eldar, or Tyranids. You get the idea.

Sure you will have a smaller target of people (as they will only be people that play that particular army), but you will find that you will get more page views as the people who play that army can access information about it without filtering through everything else.

If there was a new 40k blog starting up, to be honest i wouldnt even bother looking at it. I dont even look at BOLS or anything. Heresy is my website for my 40k information.

However, if there was one starting up that was dedicated PURELY to Imperial Guard, id probably take a look at it, and id even read through most of the articles.

Just a thought anyway.

But yeah, don't expect to make money from it.
If its not something thats "fun" creating, then it wont last long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Maverike Prime's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
NEVER make a website with the expectation of making money from it.

Do it for the fun of it instead.

If you are intending to make money from it, you will get bored within the first couple of months and end up giving up on it.

Getting traffic is extremely hard. Simply having a 40K blog is nowhere near enough of a niche for people to bother visiting your site. It will offer them nothing that they couldnt get from other sites.

If you want it to be successful, then try to narrow your focus. Make it purely about Imperial Guard, or about Dark Eldar, or Tyranids. You get the idea.

Sure you will have a smaller target of people (as they will only be people that play that particular army), but you will find that you will get more page views as the people who play that army can access information about it without filtering through everything else.

If there was a new 40k blog starting up, to be honest i wouldnt even bother looking at it. I dont even look at BOLS or anything. Heresy is my website for my 40k information.

However, if there was one starting up that was dedicated PURELY to Imperial Guard, id probably take a look at it, and id even read through most of the articles.

Just a thought anyway.

But yeah, don't expect to make money from it.
If its not something thats "fun" creating, then it wont last long.
Nice to know I'm not the only person who thinks like this. It was never my intention to build a website for the goal of profit. If I can build it break even that'd be fine. My goal, as I previously stated, was to serve the gaming community. That is my objective, and it will always be my objective. Do I intend to have ads on the site? Sure. An extra $5 toward the operating budget of the site is never a bad thing. I understand that BoLS is considered 'susseccful' because of it's ability to turn profit. I will not argue that point. Guess what, I'm not advertising on their site, and I'm not going to their site for the ads. Actually I don't go to their site at all anymore because everything from there that I have an interest in I get on the RSS feed with out the ads.

::edit:: (sorry my 'enter' button decided to have an identity crisis and submitted the post instead of entering a carriage return)

CMN is nice, but once you get right down to it's just another photosharing system. No argument about that being a service to the community. But it is what it is.

MP at first glance looks more like the type of resource I want to develop, but could use some design help. I could be wrong about it. It's content could be totally different then what I think it is at first glance. I don't see an 'about' or 'about us' link anywhere.

As it stands right now, its looks like building a site with a focus on the 'non-game' aspects of the hobby will be my best bet. Basically a site dedicated to tournaments, rules discussions, tactics, and fluff. BoLS has some of this, but again it's all lost under the ads.

Be Sure to follow me on:

Last edited by Maverike Prime; 10-18-10 at 11:49 PM. Reason: my 'enter' button decided to have an identity crisis and submitted the post instead of entering a carriage return
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 11:51 PM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverike Prime View Post
An extra $5 toward the operating budget of the site is never a bad thing.
Yeh... about that....

If you use Google (or just about any other company) for your banner adds, they will have a minimum amount of income you need to achieve before you can withdraw the money.
Usually its around $100.

My first website i spent around $50 on during its life (hosting, domain, etc), and it made about $20 in advertising.
Website views started to drop rapidly, monthly hosting cost kept coming in, and i shut it down.
Went to draw out the $20.... nope.... need a minimum of $100.

Never bothered with advertising since. Waste of time.
If you want to use advertising, talk to a website/company about placing a banner on your site recommending their site for a monthly/weekly/daily fee.
While it will take quite a while for anyone to want to advertise with you (if at all), at least you know that you will actually get the money.

That $20 is still sitting in there to this day.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-10, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Maverike Prime's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
Yeh... about that....
I was being generalistic King.

even if the ads only return $100 a year, that's $8 a month toward the operating cost of the website. I'm not saying no to that.

Heck, even if it adds up to nothing per year it's not a big deal. I'm not planning on paying for the site through advertising.

Be Sure to follow me on:

Last edited by Maverike Prime; 10-19-10 at 12:51 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode