Lost in the wilderness - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves, ask questions and be welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-09, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Default Lost in the wilderness

Hi my name is Stevan and my friends are looking at getting into WHFB. My friends are looking at orcs (for fluff and fun) and lizard men (because he wants to fight with dinosaurs). I have occasionally looked into FB several times in the past but usually stayed away. I am not a fan of tons and tons of models. But at a demo the other week a guy told me not to look at the table and see them as 50 guys but as 2 models that just have really big bases. That actually made alot of sense to me so now i am looking to find an army for me.

I'd still like to steer clear of extremly troop heavy armies and i think i'm begining to narrow my choices down a bit. What is really important to me is the following.

I want magic to be an important part of my army. I don't mean that i need to have the most powerful spells in the game but i want it to definatly be a factor. Honestly I actually find defensive magic and buffing magic the most appealing but having the option to blow stuff up is always nice too.

I'd like my troops to have access to skirmishers. Rank and file is good and dandy and I understnad all armies need those guys but I feel I get to be a bit more tactical and invovled with my army when I have control over them individually.

"The big guys" nothing gets my blood pumping more then having some big monster go slamming into a mess of little troopers why they scramble about trying to figure out what to do.

I've narrowed my hunt as far as asthetics go down too the following beastmen, dark elves, wood elves, and skaven. I find all of thier lore at the very least interesting. So I plan on scouting the boards trying to find out more about each army.

When i have played around on my army builder I tend to build something along the lines of 2 casters (a lord and a hero), 2 blocks of infantry, a skirmisher unit, a unit of ranged support, and atleast two big guys (treemen, hydra's ect).

I don't know how helpful any of this might be but if you have any thoughts let me know. Alot of other boards and people have siad they think dark elves is most up my ally so i'll definatly be spending some time reading those forums.

Nice to meet you and thanks in advnaced for all your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-09, 12:57 PM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

Welcome to Heresy Online.

Sounds like you have been thinking about what you want from an army a fair bit.

Im looking to start an Ogre Kingdoms army purely because its less minis to paint and I fancy the idea of the big boys.

That said I know nothing about WHFB so can offer no real advice for you.

The best place to ask about is in the General Warhammer Fantasy forum and the more knowledable folks in there should be able to help you.

Hope you find what your after and share the results of your project with us.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-09, 01:29 PM

I think you might also like Wood Elves, their magic inhances their own troops and impeads your enemy, you have a huge amount of skermishers to choose from, tree kin and tree men are as monsterous as they come and being an elite army, they come in pretty small numbers.

Plus they have some awesome looking models and require a good tactical head to play well, what do you think?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-09, 03:39 PM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

Hey! Welcome to Heresy! Seems like you're really thinking about choosing your army! I think you would love either the Dark Elves or the Wood Elves! And the good thing about the Dark Elves is that they've just been rereleased and updated so they've got Cold One plastics, and don't forget the Hydra! That's the monster you want in your army! Hope you can get playing WHFB, looking forward to seeing you around the forums!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-09, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually bought the wood elf codex and have browsed through the DE codex I am impressed with both of them.

At my LGS we have a DE player who is going to let me borrow some minis to test them out. Unfortunatly we don't have a wood elf player but i'm sure if I made a list that I could get some demo time in.

Thanks for the feedback i'll definalty go post on the general forums soon.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-09, 08:18 PM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Welcome to Heresy!

WHFB is a great game I played for a little while, I just became more fond of 40k.
As far as recommendations and suggestions I am not the person to ask so others will do that for you!

But I hope you enjoy the site! Great to have you here!

CHeers,

CHaosftw
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-09, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Played the DE army and was very impressed so i went home and started building my own army on the army builder. Then i went to price it out. Dark riders at 12.00 a pop means a unit of 10 is $120!! (the rest of the army priced out to be $240)

Any ideas/solutions for cheaper alternatives?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-09, 11:03 AM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Welcome to the site Sitaavanu! You would be much more likely to get answers to your questions if you posted in the Fantasy section. However, in answer to your question about Dark Riders, they are one of the models in the Dark Elves range that are said to be being re-done in plastic by a few rumour sources.

It is also possible to make them out of High Elf and Wood Elf plastics, the Wood Elf Glade Riders mixed with Dark Elf warriors are a good way of doing it I believe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode