New confused player... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves, ask questions and be welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-17, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Default New confused player...

Ok...trying to wrap my head around how it all works. I want to give 40K a try. Never played before. Coming from Kings of War I'm not totally new to tabletop games...but I am a total newb to GW games and sci-fi.

Anyways...as I'm looking at the various armies...I see a lot of stuff that's appealing aesthetically. I haven't gotten into the fluff yet so that might help whittle things down. But what confusing me is the fact that there's like 15 thousand variations of Space Marines. Are there actual play differences between them all or is it mostly a fluff and visual difference? I assume any that have their own codex will be vastly different but what about all the chapters and other variations that don't have their own codex? I probably need to read a lot more (any suggestions greatly appreciated) before choosing but right now....I'm just completely confused. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-17, 10:49 PM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Chapters that have a codex will have chapter specific traits. For example: Grey Knights are Space Marines, but have different traits/abilities than Ultra Marines. Far as fluff goes, each has their own and all comes down to what you like/don't like. The same goes for look. This also leaves you open to create your OWN chapter should you choose to go that route.
The reason (since you said you didn't read into the fluff yet) for so many Space marine variations is because after the Horus Heresy it was decided that (and I'm over simplifying here) the chapters shouldn't have 10,000 Marines to draw upon or be that much of a threat should they turn against the throne. So they split each chapter into smaller, new chapters. 10,000= 1 chapter, now it's 1,000 per chapter so 10,000= 10 chapters (again, over simplifying).
If you want more detail to your questions, let us know. If you have more specific questions, fire away.

Welcome to Heresy!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-17, 02:11 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

There's definitely different play styles from the assorted SM Codex books, and even armies taken specifically from Codex: Space Marines have a friggin' ton of options for army builds.

It is kinda Warhammer: Space Marines & Co, but the Xenos and Chaos armies are very appealing as well and new models have been coming out like crazy for the last few years.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-17, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Yeah...I guess I should say that I'm definitely not oppose to going Chaos. It was just the Space Marines that has me so confused because of the various versions and chapters...it's hard to know what's what and where to start. Honestly, the Chaos side seems a little more simple as far as that's concerned. There's also some pretty darn sweet models too.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-17, 09:22 AM

Welcome!

Ahhhh, the age old issue; why are there so many goddam space marines!
Most play pretty much the same, but not all. There are differences, but I think (as I did) the easiest solution for picking an army is choose the one you like the look of, read up on how they play and if you like the sound, get a 'start collecting' box. If you then don't like them after having a game or two, there'll be someone who will take them off your hands.

If you need inspiration, check out places like lexicanum, 40k wikia, and (NSFW) 1d4chan. They all provide decent places to read up on fluff, with a few piture resources attached.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-17, 02:21 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Chaos Space Marines are in the same boat really, they have a core Codex with just as many options as their Loyalist brethren (albeit different ones) and 'satellite' books in the Death Guard and Thousand Sons. Compound on top of that, the CSM book cross references units from the Daemon book(soon to be plural maybe) in terms of units but has previously had different rules for them in a CSM context over a Daemon context.

I didn't even realize how truly convoluted that all is until now

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode