Please help me to know the Warhammer Lore from the very beginning - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves, ask questions and be welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-16, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Fathur_Shaon's Flag is: Bangladesh

Question Please help me to know the Warhammer Lore from the very beginning

As the title implies, I have zero to very little knowledge about the background settings and the stories but desperately desire to know and understand it thoroughly, from the very beginning, to the letter. Sadly I cannot afford the time to play the actual table-top board game or the pc titles.

I do not wish for you to write long, laborious essays to explain but expect to point me to the right directions on where should I get started. Following are my queries :-

1/ Does the Novels cover the complete story in detail, or should I start with the codex / codices, or both ?. Any other sources that might be fit for the purpose ?

2/ What would be the most appropriate chronological order of reading the books ?

3/ Are the fonts of the paperback books from Black Library too small to read ?. Any features that might cause difficulties in reading ?

4/ Is there a YT channel that cover story cinematics in an orderly manner ?

5/ Is it absolutely necessary to know the 30k arc before the 40k ?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-16, 10:09 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Short YT Version

the best "Wikipedia" for Lore

Lexicanum

----

1/ Does the Novels cover the complete story in detail, or should I start with the codex / codices, or both ?. Any other sources that might be fit for the purpose ?

The novels cover their own story. Maybe not completely but pending what you're interested in reading I think the novels are nice. Also see Lexicanum.

2/ What would be the most appropriate chronological order of reading the books ?

Of which series?

For the Horus Heresy there is a "recommended" plot line, what I don't remember off hand; for others such as Guant's Ghosts they tell you the order.

3/ Are the fonts of the paperback books from Black Library too small to read ?. Any features that might cause difficulties in reading ?

They shouldn't be of an issue to read. The font size is what I would expect from a novel.

4/ Is there a YT channel that cover story cinematics in an orderly manner ?

Not that I know of, although if there is anything of interest I am sure that someone has put something on You Tube.

The ones that I recommend are "Arch Warhammer" - pretty good for fluff, "OneMindSyndicate" - random facts/points of interest, and "40k Theories" - for possible conspiracy theories (beware of commissars)

5/ Is it absolutely necessary to know the 30k arc before the 40k ?

Well, we already know how the 30K arc ends, just for 25+ years it was given to us in cliff notes fashion and the new Horus Heresy books are giving us a bunch of details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-16, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post

The novels cover their own story. Maybe not completely but pending what you're interested in reading I think the novels are nice. Also see Lexicanum.

Of which series?

For the Horus Heresy there is a "recommended" plot line, what I don't remember off hand; for others such as Guant's Ghosts they tell you the order.
First up, thank you very much for your time & effort to answer on such short notice

Sadly brother, I don't even know the exact point, where the entity of warhammer began. Vast timeline, so much factions, each with their own starting point.

(a) Some folks say that start with the Legends (Teclis, Tyrion, Malekith.....), then Nagash
followed by Sigmar, Neferata and End Times.

(b) Some say that start with the Rogue Trader & all the rule books.

(c) Some say that find corresponding books from timeline.

This is where I am stuck and heavily confused........ folks at reddit and other 40k Forums won't even answer my questions anymore :/

That being the point, could you please help me with the following :-

1/ Where did the lore actually start ??. Generally, folks take the easy way out by saying Horus Heresy or Legends. Even in Black Library, on the oldest published book by date in any category (Quick Reads / Novels / Novellas) it says "it all begins here" and the same thing pop up in Horus Heresy.

2/ If I have to follow the timeline, is there a guide to help me understand the milleniums so that I can follow up properly ?. Also, is there is external source that point out the books according to the timelines ?

3/ If all else fails, how big of a matter it is, If I start reading randomly ?

Thanks again (P.S -- I hope I am not pissing you off bruh)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-16, 02:30 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathur_Shaon View Post
Sadly brother, I don't even know the exact point, where the entity of warhammer began. Vast timeline, so much factions, each with their own starting point.

(a) Some folks say that start with the Legends (Teclis, Tyrion, Malekith.....), then Nagash
followed by Sigmar, Neferata and End Times.

First off these are related to Warhammer Fantasy (or WHFB) compared to Warhammer 40k.

These are two entirely different things. They are mutually exclusive to one another.

(b) Some say that start with the Rogue Trader & all the rule books.

For Warhammer 40k the lore does indeed start with Rogue Trader (or 1st edition, it just gets a fancy name) I myself have not found a 1st edition book to borrow/buy and have not read it.

The lore tends to get re-summarized with edition afterwards (at least in the 5th and 6th edition rule books) with some minor amount of retcons pending GW's mood.

The same can be said for Warhammer Fantasy, where the main lore is retold in the main rule book.

(c) Some say that find corresponding books from timeline.

This is where I am stuck and heavily confused........ folks at reddit and other 40k Forums won't even answer my questions anymore :/

That being the point, could you please help me with the following :-

1/ Where did the lore actually start ??. Generally, folks take the easy way out by saying Horus Heresy or Legends. Even in Black Library, on the oldest published book by date in any category (Quick Reads / Novels / Novellas) it says "it all begins here" and the same thing pop up in Horus Heresy.

First off this question can be sorta misleading, as are you asking for when the lore was created (such as date, and published material?) or are you asking for what is effectively "Book 1" to start reading a series?

If it is the former, then it is the 1st edition rule books for both Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k, as I stated earlier these are effectively two different sets of lore. Since Warhammer 40k is the more popular game it generally gets the primary usage of "Warhammer" or "40k" vs "Fantasy". So once again you are asking a semi-confusing question.

If you are referring to Novels, as published by Black Library, The Horus Heresy is the "start" as in it is set in the oldest point in time. For Warhammer Fantasy I do not know.

2/ If I have to follow the timeline, is there a guide to help me understand the milleniums so that I can follow up properly ?. Also, is there is external source that point out the books according to the timelines ?

For novels there are some guides out there, pending which series you are reading (again, there are many different series that overlap each over, but do not interfere with each other. Your best friend would probably be Google and searching "X series order to read"

For just a timeline to look up then I would go to Lexicanum and search "timeline".

**Do note that the link I sent earlier redirects you to Warhammer 40k's page. You would need to go to the "main" page and choose the fantasy one for it.

3/ If all else fails, how big of a matter it is, If I start reading randomly ?

For probably 90% of Books, such as rule books or codex/army books, it does not matter at all. Each race/faction tends to be wrapped up only within their own book, these are not necessarily the most entertaining books to read, probably more akin to a Elementary history book for depth and such.

Also a lot of novels are one offs so there is not a whole lot of "continuality" between each other. Things are different when you are reading a Series of books of course. But if you are looking at the books physically they should state which book number they are in the first few pages.

Thanks again (P.S -- I hope I am not pissing you off bruh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-16, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Kudos brother !!......... can't thank you enough

Apologies for the misleading question (should have been more specific). But based on your answers, I meant the date of the first published material.

This has been a real eye opener (the differences you laid out between WFB and 40k). I can now start with the 40k without a seed of doubt in my head.

Even in my hectic schedule, I'll manage time to read & subscribe your threads :D

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode