Hello and help?! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves, ask questions and be welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-16, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Icon Hello and help?!

Hey,

My name is Adric and I am in Denmark. (what other details do you want? 34 yo, gay man, married, no kids (Yuck), size 42 feet, live in an apartment on the 6th floor and 14cm cock).

I am looking for an easy first game to pick up and play for a group of young adults (18-25yrs).

I am a teacher in a strange type of school that does not exist outside Scandinavia, where there are no exams or qualifications, students just go to find out what they are good at, what interests them and what direction they want to take in life. Subjects are quote existential (philosophy, pedagogy, civil society, social capital) as well as physical (sports, pioneering, pottery, music / recording studio skills). I have a subject on game theory and ludology (the study of games) and want to give my group a taste of war-hammer style gaming. They all have no experience in this (me too) so a simple game in this style using mini-figures (that they paint), cards and dice to give them a flavour of this style gaming and let them see if this is something that tickles their fancy.

Ok this is where it gets a bit weird, but I promise I am not on drugs!
I was recommended Assassinorum Execution Force by a man with one leg, a beard down to this belt and grew up on ships, and have bought a starter pack of very small (but stupidly expensive) paints and brushes from Dragons Lair (a game shop) where I met two clowns playing "Magic the Gathering" - who promised to come and teach my students how to play that!

But at the end of this fairy tale I want to know if AEF is any good? The reviews seem to suggest its too basic for "serious players" and the mini figures are why people should buy it, but is it a good choice for complete beginners?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-16, 02:50 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

First off, welcome to Heresy.

Secondly, whereabouts in Denmark are you? The other resident Dane is quite mad! @Nordicus

I haven't played AEF myself, although I imagine a couple of the guys on here will have. There is also AoS (Age of Sigmar) which is apparently pretty quick to pick up and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-16, 03:54 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

From a pedagogical perspective (yes, I recognize that you are from a non-traditional school) what's the purpose of the gaming experience?

Also being an educator and a long time gamer what are you hoping they would and get out of it? The social experience, the artistic experience, the practical mathematic experience, etc.?

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-16, 04:31 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
From a pedagogical perspective (yes, I recognize that you are from a non-traditional school) what's the purpose of the gaming experience?

Also being an educator and a long time gamer what are you hoping they would and get out of it? The social experience, the artistic experience, the practical mathematic experience, etc.?

As an educator I was also wondering what you hoping that the student learning outcome would be? It might help us direct you to a game or part of the game that will help you achieve those outcomes.

Welcome to the Heresy.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-16, 07:27 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by adric View Post
They all have no experience in this (me too) so a simple game in this style using mini-figures (that they paint), cards and dice to give them a flavour of this style gaming and let them see if this is something that tickles their fancy.
Welcome to the boards, fellow Dane

From what i can read, your best bet to introduce your students to this form of hobby would be one of the boxed games. I'm talking these two:

Betrayal at Calth

Assassinorum: Execution Force

My reasoning for choosing these two are:

- The rules are quite simple compared to regular wargaming, and are included in the boxed game.
- You have models that are the same as regular 40k/30k games, so you get a taste of the artistic world that is Warhammer.
- You have dice, tactical cards, specific movement, shooting, close combat and overall strategy.
- You have to assemble and paint the miniatures yourself.

If your students like these sort of games, it could be a good introduction to the world of wargaming - I started my journey when I was a kid with HeroQuest and these are the same thing essentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adric View Post
But at the end of this fairy tale I want to know if AEF is any good? The reviews seem to suggest its too basic for "serious players" and the mini figures are why people should buy it, but is it a good choice for complete beginners?
For beginners it's quite good - Personally I like Betrayl at Calth more, but that is because it is a bit more advanced in terms of strategy. I play 40k and 30k myself, so my baseline is different than a complete beginner.

If nothing else, they have Gamenights in Dragons Lair on Mondays, so you can stop by and see what people are playing. Ask a few questions and take a look - People are always very welcoming and willing to explain things
I hope it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
The other resident Dane is quite mad! @Nordicus
I'm not mad! I'm... persistent.

Last edited by Nordicus; 01-18-16 at 07:53 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-16, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Default Educational outcome!

Hey fellow educators!

The experience alone is the only goal here. Maybe thats not a satisfying answer from an academic perspective but its all about giving the students new experiences in life and opening their eyes to parts of the world they have not seen and would not normally run into.

So maybe someone spends a day constructing, painting and playing the game and at the end of it gets interested in painting miniatures, maybe someone else looks to explore the world of War Hammer style games or constructing small models. or maybe they just think its a fun experience for a day and never think of it again. All outcomes are equally acceptable - it's all a part of the experience.

Hope that helps!
Adric
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-16, 10:58 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

i'd get a look at the free (and extremely short) rules for Age of Sigmar. You can have a game with a handful of models and rules are (as above) free and easy to learn.
With 60-120 € you will be able to field either 25-50 models and have some variety.
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/...at440002a-flat
In my opinion a boardgame like assassination, betrayal at calth and so on is not a "true" wargame, if you are aiming at that.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > New Member Introductions

Tags
assassin , help needed , newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode