Hello from the Expanse - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves, ask questions and be welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

ardias's Flag is: USA

Default Hello from the Expanse

Hello fine 40k folks,
I started into 40k about ten years ago when my brother introduced me to the game. Although I haven't played in years, due to money constrictions, I still enjoy watching battle reports and have gotten into 40k role playing games. I look forward to meeting you people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 04:32 AM
Warlord of Vermin

TechPr1est's Flag is: Australia

hey mate

question, what is the roleplaying thing? ive seen those books but i never understood how they worked. is it like people just sitting around and they make up stuff like

"you stepped on a landmine, your leg gets ripped off and you die"

because ive looked through them and they have profile like things but never understood them

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bruva Alfabusa
"My first model had so many layers of paint, that an excavation team could probably find fossils in it".
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPr1est View Post
hey mate

question, what is the roleplaying thing? ive seen those books but i never understood how they worked. is it like people just sitting around and they make up stuff like

"you stepped on a landmine, your leg gets ripped off and you die"

because ive looked through them and they have profile like things but never understood them
Oh one person in the group is made the GM and is essentially the rules arbitrator. The GM is also responsible for the creation of the scenario and running it. What actually happens in game is then up to how the players choose and how they roll in skill tests set out by the source book and GM. It is very much like D&D and GURPS, except a lot more unforgiving. For example if a psychic character tries to do something they can potentially fail so bad that they get possesed by a demon and the unbound demon host wipes the entire party.

Last edited by ardias; 10-18-13 at 05:06 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 05:15 AM

VixusKragov's Flag is: USA

Welcome to the forums!

I'm trying to get involved with Dark Heresy myself lately. The RPG Games subforum has been pretty helpful, personally, if you're lacking a group to play in.

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VixusKragov View Post
Welcome to the forums!

I'm trying to get involved with Dark Heresy myself lately. The RPG Games subforum has been pretty helpful, personally, if you're lacking a group to play in.

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards.
Thanks!
Be wary about getting into Dark Heresy though and don't expect characters to survive for long. Of all the 40k roleplays, it is the most bloody and hard to survive in.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 05:37 AM
Warlord of Vermin

TechPr1est's Flag is: Australia

sounds pretty good, do you just need one book or is it like the wargames where you have a rule book and codices, expansions and the like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bruva Alfabusa
"My first model had so many layers of paint, that an excavation team could probably find fossils in it".
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPr1est View Post
sounds pretty good, do you just need one book or is it like the wargames where you have a rule book and codices, expansions and the like?
You only need the source book for the one that you want to start playing. The other texts are supplemental material like new locations, weapons, character types, and pre-made campaigns.
If you need the rules for Dark Heresy let me know. I have a CD with the core rulebook and a few others lying around.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 06:28 AM
Fantasy Rumors

revilo44's Flag is: United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum.dude. Been wanting to get into roleplay for a while. What are the other 40k ones like?

Sanity is for the weak

check out what im working on http://instagram.com/revilo444
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilo44 View Post
Welcome to the forum.dude. Been wanting to get into roleplay for a while. What are the other 40k ones like?
Hello!
I don't have experience with all of them, but Black Crusade and Dark Heresy seem to be the hardest. Black Crusade is hard because you have to deal with a group of insane backstabbers out for heir own ends. For example one of my friends' goal was to replace his limbs with weapons that were possessed by greater demons. But, back on topic, rouge trader is more of a swash buckling explorer or unearthing all the horrors beneath the stars kind of a game that you can do anything in from building a fleet to acting as a pirate, dark heresy is anywhere from a detective game to a demon hunting game, black crusade is mainly just insanity the game.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 07:58 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Welcome to the forums!

@revilo44 @TechPr1est - Check out rollplay for a vague idea of how Dark Heresy works, it shows how the game plays and it's pretty amusing

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode