Should I really not play Eldar? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves, ask questions and be welcomed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Default Should I really not play Eldar?

A few weeks ago my other half and I decided to get some armies and I chose Eldar for many reasons, I like casters, I like the look of them, I liked their story. But now that I've read more about it I see that people seem to really dislike playing them. I read that they're hard to play, easy to beat and so on.

Having already bought my HQ and the battleforce, should I quit while I'm ahead and choose a different army? My other half is playing space wolves - so what do you recommend I should go for, if the Eldar are really not a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 09:24 PM

J_PikaChua's Flag is: Philipines

To me, Eldar are a pretty good race, seeming as they can do very well in large numbers. I had a similar situation where I owned a very large Tau force, and I switched to CSMs, mainly because they seemed like a better army. I was young at the time and didn't really seem how good my Tau army was until I lost them. It's your opinion really, but don't give it up if you think you'll end up regretting it later, especially if you can't buy anything for that army. If, in fact you do choose another army, go with one that suits you well. Like I said, IT'S YOUR OPINION. Just because some else said an army sucks doesn't meant you won't do well with them.

CHAOS SPACE MARINES - "Pain is my ally, let me show you!!"
My YouTube channel: AzNFClan
My Website: GamersHaus
FACEBOOK: GamersHaus | AzNF
TWITTER: @GamershausAzNF

Last edited by J_PikaChua; 04-27-12 at 09:28 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-12, 09:59 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Welcome to Heresy.

Eldar are not really an army for beginners, as they are unforgiving of any mistakes, but in the hands of an experienced player they can be lethal. If you are willing to persevere with them you will eventually get the pay off.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 09:58 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Welcome to the Forum.

All of the armies I collect were chosen on the basis of background and aesthetics as they are me important to me than winning easily, so I possibly lose more than I would with a different army; however it makes my victories sweeter.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 10:14 AM

Garion's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yes, as Dave says, pick an army you like the look of the most. That way you will not get tired of painting them etc...

Also Im not even sure if Eldar are a sub standard race, plus a new edition of the rules is round the corner so for all we know they could end up being the best army in the near future.

but just go with what you like the look of. this is the most important factor.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 10:28 AM

Hello and welcome to Heresy Online.

I have a large Eldar army and it is still very possible to win with them. I don't play very often anymore but when I do play my opponents dread the sight of Fire Prisms and a couple of other units. But the gameplay of the army is not what attracted me to the Eldar to begin with anyway, it's the look. I cannot game with an army that I don't like the look of and the Eldar have some of the coolest looking models Games Workshop have to offer.

Generally Eldar are one of those armies that if you know how to use well, they can be deadly against most opponents. But unlike marines, they're usually not very forgiving if you make a mistake. My suggestion is to not give up on them before you've even given them a chance. Play a few games with what you have and get to know the army better before ditching them. Then make the decision for yourself once you've gotten to grips with them a bit more taking into account all aspects of the hobby (assuming other areas like modelling, painting and fiction interest you).

Regards,
Jake.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 10:35 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

As stated above, it matters what kind of gaming experience you're after. If planning to take the army to tournaments, no, I wouldn't recommend Eldar right now. I wouldn't recommend ANY Xenos, sadly.

If being top-drawer competitive isn't a concern, then playing what appeals most is wise - if that is the aesthetic of Eldar, great, go for it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 12:19 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

If they are what your gut told you to play then play them, who cares if you win, I'm getting marines together and I fully intend to play them fluffy which will probably mean a lot defeats but I just love them, I even have some dire avengers on my never ending "to do" list just cos I think the models are fantastic, as Nike say "just do it"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 04:15 PM

It might also be worth looking at IA11. The Eldar Corsair codex is excellent and in my opinion, would suit a new player more as they have access to better weapons and troops.

Thats what I'm converting my Eldar army into (until the new codex comes out anyway)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-12, 09:55 AM

Skari's Flag is: Canada

Welcome. If you have what it takes eldar are a great army to pkay, tho they are unforgiving.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Welcome to Heresy-Online > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode