1k Decurion, semi competitive - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-15, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Default 1k Decurion, semi competitive

Have a friend that wants to get into the hobby and asked me if I would start up an army with him. I haven't had a chance to play necrons in a while so I decided to give it a go. He's looking at either nids, chaos daemons, or Blood Angels and will be giving each of them a try before committing.

Reclamation Legion:
Overlord
-Warscythe, phase shifter

Immortals
-1x additional immortal, 6x tesla carbines

Warriors
-2x additional warriors

Warriors
-2x additional warriors

Tomb blades
-1x additional tomb blade

Lychguard
-1x additional lychguard

Shard of the nightbringer

Plan is for the Lord to join the guard, the immortals hold back for home objectives, the warriors stay together so they can bring relative weight of numbers to the midfield, the shard goes after the nastiest unit it can find, and the blades zoom up as an afterthought.

Didn't want to go the usual route of a canoptek harvest, though I think that would be seen in an expanded list, or maybe a judicator battalion.

Any thoughts or comments for this list though?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-15, 11:22 AM

I personally don't see much mileage in the tesla carbines anymore when you have the options for a gauss blaster. Particulalry at 1000pts flexibility is key, and at a push immortals with gauss blasters can still harm vehicles, and ap4 can be really helpful against most xenos races, and rapid fire geenrally leads to more shots on the whole in a game in comparison to the amount Tesla would get you.

As you say in the title its not amazingly competitive and I have to admit the c'tan shards are quite fun to use at times, but certainly as a starter list for a decurion its good as you don't need loads of extra stuff to field it.

I always quite like Deathmarks in my lists too, and you could probably fit a unit of 5 in if you take out the additions to the other units? I like them because you can just hail mary a unit that might be a problem fairly early in the game (in particular any tough monsters). Though again at 1k it probably isn't that neccessary.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-15, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Alright, we'll I'd have to drop the extra warriors, a tomb blade, and one lychguard for the points to get those death marks but that's not to much of a problem.

The warriors would still stay together, 20-40 flayer shots are still nothing to ignore. Thinking about giving the remaining three tomb blades nebuloscopes, but is it worth it or should I just buff their armour save to 3?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-15, 12:28 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Are you in love with the tomb blades? You mentioned the Judicator Batallion...

You could probably change the list a bit, and use a Mephrit Dynasty instead. You don't get +1 to RP, but do you get to reroll 1s, so it's a similar end result. You need 3 troops, which you've got in your warriors and immortals. You could drop the Lychguard and Tomb blades, and if I do my math right, add a Judicator instead. I personally have a bit of a crush on Stalkers, so I always like to have one, and instead of the jetbikes you'd get some jet pack units.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-15, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
Are you in love with the tomb blades?
In this list, not in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre
You mentioned the Judicator Batallion...
I did, however at this point level, and if I go with a decision or mephrit formation, I only have enough points for the shard or batallion. At 1250 I can fit both, or a harvest, which was what I was thinking since the stalker can get a heavy guass cannon for some long range anti armour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre
You could probably change the list a bit, and use a Mephrit Dynasty instead. You don't get +1 to RP, but do you get to reroll 1s, so it's a similar end result. You need 3 troops, which you've got in your warriors and immortals. You could drop the Lychguard and Tomb blades, and if I do my math right, add a Judicator instead. I personally have a bit of a crush on Stalkers, so I always like to have one, and instead of the jetbikes you'd get some jet pack units.
Unfortunately for me, swapping over to Mephrit leaves me with the same 'problem' I have now. In that I need to choose between the shard and batallion. Even if I swapped the overlord for a barebones cryptek and left everything but the stalker devoid of upgrades I'm still 65 points over.

Though when looking at the Mephrit detachment I did come up with the following list:

Destroyer lord
-warscythe, phase shifter

Warriors
Warriors
Immortals with gauss blasters

2x destroyers

Judicator battalion
5x praetorians with rods
5x praetorians with rods
Triarch stalker with twin linked heavy gauss cannon

Comes to 995

How does that look compared to:

Reclamation Legion
Overlord
-warscythe, phase shifter

Warriors
Warriors
6x immortals with gauss blasters

3x tomb blades with shield vanes

Lychguard

Shard of the nightbringer

Total is 1002

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-15, 06:44 AM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

I'm personally not a fan of the Shards, mostly because they're just so hard to use them. Random powers means that they might not do anything useful when you're hurling powers around. It's why I talked myself out of running a Tesseract, even with the more powerful effects.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Necron Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode