Necron Decurion Detachment 1850 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Default Necron Decurion Detachment 1850

I'm still not sure if I'm doing this right, so if there are any mistakes in structure, let me know.

Quote:
Reclamation Legion:

Nemesor Nemreth, the God Hunter
Overlord, Warscythe, Resurrection Orb, Phase Shifter: 150

The Guardians
Lychguard x6, Hyperphase Swords and Dispersion Shields: 180

The Ephemeral Guard
Immortals x10, Gauss Blasters: 170

The Ancient Spearhead
Immortals x10, Gauss Blasters: 170

The Enslaved
Warriors x10, Gauss Flayers: 130

The Obedient
Warriors x10, Gauss Flayers: 130

The Swift Stride
Tomb Blades x3, Gauss Blasters: 54

Total: 984
The tomb blades being essential was less of a bother tha nI thought considering how dirt cheap they are on points, plus the fact that I already owned some, so this was really just a case of take the minimum and no problem. Of course the main benefit for this is to unlock the royal court which simply makes fitting the extra crypteks into a battle forged army so much easier.

Quote:
Royal Court:

Phaeron Mithrahc the Forgotten
Overlord, Staff of Light, Resurrection Orb, Phase Shifter: 130

Psychomancer Seprin the Observer
Cryptek, Chronometron: 90

Ethermancer Neka the Studious

Plasmancer Lirac the Impetuous

Arakyr the Silent
Lord, Warscythe: 70

Total: 470
It should be pretty obvious why these are here. Bonuses to reanimation, a 5++ save from shooting attacks and an extra few ap3 shots per unit they join. Why wouldn't I?

Quote:
Star God

The Conquered
C'tan Shard of the Deceiver: 240

Total: 240
Because Grand Illusion and Dread were crazy good back in the day, and I don't doubt they will be again.

Quote:
Flayed Ones

The Infected
Flayed Ones x12, Flayer Claws: 156

Total: 156
Because the extra attack plus shred for no extra points? I can justify these guys now, and the plastic ones I'm converting will look sweet. So hell yea I'm gonna use them.

Grand Total equals Exactly 1850.

What's the verdict, fellow lords and ladies of the metal undead?

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 02:43 PM
Rattlehead

I'm not at all convinced by the Royal Court; +1 to Reanimation is basically irrelevant in the Decurion as you can't increase it beyond 4+ anyway; Crypteks means you'll keep your 4+ RP against Instant Death, but I think that's too niche to be worth 65pts. The Chronometron also seems an expensive way to get what is basically cover.

I think you need to build around a C'tan with a Conclave of the Burning One including a Veil of Darkness to get him more than 6" per turn and the God Shackle to make the unit basically immune to small arms and a tougher proposition for the Str6/7 weapons flying around in 7th.

I thought Dispersion Shields were a nuts deal on paper, but having played against Lychguard with Warscythes, I don't think that trading out your Warscythe is worth it; sure, T5 3+/3++/4+++ rerolling 1s is ridiculously tough, but it's not actually a whole lot tougher than T5 3+/4+++, and the Warscythe is a much more frightening weapon as you can slice apart any unit in the game with them. As it stands, you can run into Terminators or even just something like Plague Marines with the Swords and get bogged down in a combat you don't want to be fighting. Warscythes also mean you're basically unchargeable by Knights (even by the Castigator; and very few units can say that with any conviction).

Resurrection Orb seems pretty eh and the Phase Shifter is probably not worth it on the Overlord; T5 3+/4+++ rerolling 1s with 3 wounds is basically invincible to anything that isn't going to chew through an extra 4++ with equal ease (Swarmlord, Lysander, Draigo and Skarbrand being the main ones that spring to mind). Overlords in a Reclamation Legion only need a Warscythe to be a really nasty choice.

So, overall changes I'd make is to drop the Royal Court and replace it with more Tomb Blades with Nebuloscopes (a very, very nice spoiler for enemy Necron vehicles/Wave Serpents/Tau tanks etc. as well as mulching 4+ save or worse infantry), and then use the leftover points added to points gained by dropping the C'tan to add either an Annihilation Nexus (for anti-Flyer; while Annihilation Barges are no longer 'destroy all Flyers', they're not *bad* at it, and the Doomsday Barge is just plain brutal now) or a pair of Canoptek Harvests (giving the list a very nasty fast threat in some T5 W2 3++/4+ RP Beasts with good combat stats).

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 05:06 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Conclave of the Burning One is currently not a legal Formation; it requires a C'Tan Shard.

The only C'Tan Shards around are "C'Tan Shards of the Nightbringer" and "C'Tan Shards of the Deciever". Neither of which are "C'Tan Shards" explicitly. GF Games Workshop rules writing. Rather than dipping that amount of resources (~420pts?) into the C'Tan, just stick with a Tranny or go the full way and take a Tesseract Vault.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
I'm not at all convinced by the Royal Court; +1 to Reanimation is basically irrelevant in the Decurion as you can't increase it beyond 4+ anyway; Crypteks means you'll keep your 4+ RP against Instant Death, but I think that's too niche to be worth 65pts. The Chronometron also seems an expensive way to get what is basically cover.
True, but the reclamation legion are all relentless now,and the crypteks provide cover without costing me movement. Granted this is of limited use, but given that I'm going for the Implacable advance feel I think these will add to it fairly well. I'm less concerned over the points cost since other units have dropped in price.

Quote:
I thought Dispersion Shields were a nuts deal on paper, but having played against Lychguard with Warscythes, I don't think that trading out your Warscythe is worth it; sure, T5 3+/3++/4+++ rerolling 1s is ridiculously tough, but it's not actually a whole lot tougher than T5 3+/4+++, and the Warscythe is a much more frightening weapon as you can slice apart any unit in the game with them. As it stands, you can run into Terminators or even just something like Plague Marines with the Swords and get bogged down in a combat you don't want to be fighting. Warscythes also mean you're basically unchargeable by Knights (even by the Castigator; and very few units can say that with any conviction).
With an attached lord, maybe an overlord, maybe both, chances are there will be a warscythe or two in this unit regardless. In the meantime I think the invulnerable save is worth it considering they will be footslogging across the field and likely drawing a lot of fire away from my other units.

Quote:
Resurrection Orb seems pretty eh and the Phase Shifter is probably not worth it on the Overlord; T5 3+/4+++ rerolling 1s with 3 wounds is basically invincible to anything that isn't going to chew through an extra 4++ with equal ease (Swarmlord, Lysander, Draigo and Skarbrand being the main ones that spring to mind). Overlords in a Reclamation Legion only need a Warscythe to be a really nasty choice.
Again, I'm going for resilience and implacable advance, so these things are going to add to that.

I'll see how this list performs, but I can see where you're coming from as well. Like any new codex it'll be a matter of figuring out how to best use the changed rules and where best to leave certain wargears behind.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 08:46 PM

Personally swap the Phase shifter on the Warscythe Overlord for the Nightmare Shroud. I'm assuming he will be in the lychguard unit anyway so have a 3++ against shooting attacks, and in CC you have 4+++ and re-rolling ones anyway if you are aginats anything AP2 (which you are mostlikely striking before anyway). ANd also when that Overlord will have a 12" bubble of re-roll 1s on RP anyway the Res orb may not be necessary.

If you have the models, reduce one of the immortals units and swap them for tomb blades, 5 more points for ignores cover, +1 toughness jet bikes and twin linked is pretty dam good.

Apart from that seems like a solid list. Really want to see what flayed ones are like now

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-15, 11:43 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
The Conclave of the Burning One is currently not a legal Formation; it requires a C'Tan Shard.

The only C'Tan Shards around are "C'Tan Shards of the Nightbringer" and "C'Tan Shards of the Deciever". Neither of which are "C'Tan Shards" explicitly. GF Games Workshop rules writing. Rather than dipping that amount of resources (~420pts?) into the C'Tan, just stick with a Tranny or go the full way and take a Tesseract Vault.
I think it's fairly blatantly obvious that you can use a Deceiver or Nightbringer Shard as the CotBO. Sure, you could tell someone that they can't do it, but then they tell you that your Wraithknight can't shoot because it has no eyes and therefore cannot draw LOS and you realise you don't really have a leg to stand on.

None of the C'tan options other than maybe the vault are good anyway; CotBO might make them a bit less of a joke but even the Transcendent is kind of shitty compared to the extremely strong options Necrons have now and when it's a 5-wound monstrous creature with only 6" move and a 4++ in a game where people are dealing with Wraithknights, Riptides and Dreadknights.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 02-02-15 at 11:47 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-15, 12:17 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
For one model to have line of sight to another, you must be able to trace a straight, unblocked line from its body (the head, torso, arms or legs) to any part of the target’s body.
No they can't. Point taken, however.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-15, 02:10 AM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

Quote:
None of the C'tan options other than maybe the vault are good anyway; CotBO might make them a bit less of a joke but even the Transcendent is kind of shitty compared to the extremely strong options Necrons have now and when it's a 5-wound monstrous creature with only 6" move and a 4++ in a game where people are dealing with Wraithknights, Riptides and Dreadknights.
While I mostly agree with you, at least the Transcendent C'tan has Deepstrike to help close the gap. Even Then, it gets to sit there for a turn before it can get into combat, assuming you want it in combat.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-15, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
Personally swap the Phase shifter on the Warscythe Overlord for the Nightmare Shroud. I'm assuming he will be in the lychguard unit anyway so have a 3++ against shooting attacks, and in CC you have 4+++ and re-rolling ones anyway if you are aginats anything AP2 (which you are mostlikely striking before anyway). ANd also when that Overlord will have a 12" bubble of re-roll 1s on RP anyway the Res orb may not be necessary.
This was a consideration, however I was never a fan of using the sempiternal weave so the 2+ armour save wasn't really all that appealing and most of my opponents won't care about the morale. The phase shifter is primarily to increase his odds of survival in a challenge, and the res orb frankly adds to that. They are both different now, so this is a case of testing new abilities of course but at the moment that's what I'm thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
If you have the models, reduce one of the immortals units and swap them for tomb blades, 5 more points for ignores cover, +1 toughness jet bikes and twin linked is pretty dam good.
The tomb blades are there because they have to be. I know they can be great, but I don't really like the models and I'm just as likely to toss them into combat with a devastator squad to stop a round of heavy weapons as to actually use them for shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sturk View Post
While I mostly agree with you, at least the Transcendent C'tan has Deepstrike to help close the gap. Even Then, it gets to sit there for a turn before it can get into combat, assuming you want it in combat.
Some of those powers seem pretty hectic, so having to wait a turn before charging isn't necessarily a bad thing.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-15, 07:45 AM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz:2023986
No they can't. Point taken, however.
Ah, fair enough - need to get my head into 7th ed wording!

Jink can still apply to the whole unit if a Biker character is attached to it though and Pyrovores hit every unit on the board if you play RAW, but I'll not belabour the point since we both get it.

Transcendent can Deeep Strike, but so can a Conclave with VoD so I'm not convinced that's a great unique thing.

The Nightmare Shroud lets you tank for the unit so if you get charged by Paladins or something, you're likely not to lose any actual Lychguard until the Daemonhammers swing - pop the Orb and make your 2+/5+ rerollable super-FnP all day long.

Still think Crypteks, and the Royal Court as a whole, is of marginal benefit at best for a very high price. What, 80pts for an extra two-wound Warrior that gives the unit at 5++? Why not just bring 6 more Warriors per squad to be more resilient and not be locked into buying that awkward second Overlord?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Necron Army Lists

Tags
40k , army list , decurion , detachment , necron , warhammer 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode