Metalheads of Heresy (Brutal Content) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-16-10, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Skull Harvester's Flag is: USA

Default Metalheads of Heresy (Brutal Content)

So after a discussion in Live Chat, it has been decided to create a thread for metal so that when one of us is feeling lazy when it comes to listening material, well we can come here. (was that a run on sentence?) Anyway, here we go, keep it to maybe 2-3 links per post though to avoid page loading hell.
HAIL METAL!

Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls. These are some of my favourite things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-16-10, 10:42 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

I am terribly sorry for my offensive opinion but i've always found the Black and Death subgroups of metal to be an abomination to metal as a type of music. A complete mockery of eveything good about metal (most of the time). Seeing as the beat is little more than senseless beating of the instruments and vocals shouted and growled so unecessarily deep it's almost impossible to understand the lyrics. And whatever you do get, is just pure crappe.
I actually really liked the sound of the second video until the moron "singing" opened his mouth. Why people want to listen to this I do not get.

I consider myself a true metalhead (if it aint heavy it aint worth my time) but it might be i'm just too soft. Or that my general resentment of the human race is very reasonable. Whatever, I dont judge. I just needed to vent. Because I am really tired of all this (in my unimportant opinion) metal pollution.

Anyway, as this thread is indeed right up my alley I should provide something productive rather than just whine an insult everyone (again, I mean no offense to those who might disagree with my insane ramblings).

So here ya go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.

Last edited by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH; 03-18-10 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Grammar corrections
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-17-10, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
I am terribly sorry for my offensive opinion but i've always found the Black and Death subgroups of metal to be an abomination to metal as a type of music. A complete mockery of eveything good about metal (most of the time). Seeing as the beat is little more than senseless beating of the instruments and vocals shouted and growled so unecessarily deep it's almost impossible to understand the lyrics. And whatever you do get, is just pure crappe.
I actually really liked the sound of the second video until the moron "singing" opened his mouth. Why people want to listen to this I do not get.

I consider myself a true metalhead (if it aint heavy it aint worth my time) but it might be i'm just too soft. Or that my general resentment of the human race is very reasonable. Whatever, I dont judge. I just needed to vent. Because I am really tired of all this (in my unimportant opinion) metal pollution.
With all due respect, I don't think your argument here is valid, the stuff you posted seems to have little difference, with some cleanish vocals thrown in and the same blast-beats you harp on.

Anyways, here's some classics, and some stuff I've been hooked on recently:

And finally one last one to keep you from dying as soon as you see how many vids I posted, the source for my username! :D

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.

Last edited by Masked Jackal; 03-17-10 at 04:32 AM.

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-17-10, 04:34 AM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH

Are you serious? Is that a joke? I hope you're trolling.

First off, are you aware that Dark Empire is considered a progressive DEATH metal band? :D I mean...for you to say such a thing about death metal makes my neurons scream for your demise. And Black Metal? Listen, I could understand if you simply didn't like those sub genres. But to say they are abominations? I don't even know where to begin.

You say you resent the human race yet you don't like death metal? Most death metal is about pointing out the fallacies with the human race. I assume you know nothing about the band Death. Seriously, listen to the the magic of the late Chuck Schuldiner. Give it a try.

Or how about Atheist?

Nevermore?

They don't sound like they're randomly hitting their instruments to me. If they are, they're some skilled sons of bitches at improv. And that's just what I have to say about death metal. But black metal? Have you not heard of bands such as Windir, Bathory or Immortal? If you dislike them, fine, but I'm appalled that you would call them abominations. There are some masterpieces out there. It seems to me that you base your entire opinion on a vocal style you simply dislike, which corrupts your understanding of the instrumental work as you choose not to examine it. Or you have just been listening to crappy black/death bands.

Last edited by Holmstrom; 03-17-10 at 06:03 AM.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-17-10, 04:34 AM

MR.snugglekinz's Flag is: USA

post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-17-10, 01:26 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

Seems I struck a nerve here. Which is only a good thing. I'd like to be proven wrong. It keeps my evergrowing insanity from going full circle.

Quote:
With all due respect, I don't think your argument here is valid, the stuff you posted seems to have little difference, with some cleanish vocals thrown in and the same blast-beats you harp on.
Both yes and no. I really do think there are more than just clean vocals that sets the 2 songs apart from what I rant about. I never said the differences were huge. It is metal, after all.

Quote:
Are you serious? Is that a joke? I hope you're trolling.
I don't troll. And is it really that hard to believe I am serious?

Quote:
First off, are you aware that Dark Empire is considered a progressive DEATH metal band? :D
Since when? As far as I know they have always been making power metal. So have all their associated acts.

Quote:
I mean...for you to say such a thing about death metal makes my neurons scream for your demise. And Black Metal? Listen, I could understand if you simply didn't like those sub genres. But to say they are abominations? I don't even know where to begin.
Yeah, I do that to a lot of people. Maybe it is my choice of words you have a problem with. Understandable. I do ramble a lot and I rarely judge people on what they say (there are situations where I do. Racist remarks I can't stand). So words are of little consequence to me. Does that make sense? Or am I being a jerk again?

Quote:
You say you resent the human race yet you don't like death metal? Most death metal is about pointing out the fallacies with the human race. I assume you know nothing about the band Death. Seriously, listen to the the magic of the late Chuck Schuldiner. Give it a try.
Huh? I'm sorry but I was unaware that they owned that. Nothing prevents other metalgenres from doing so too. So I don't see how this is relevant.

Quote:
They don't sound like they're randomly hitting their instruments to me. If they are, they're some skilled sons of bitches at improv. And that's just what I have to say about death metal.
Never said it was random. It is very well planned but the effect becomes the opposite. It just seems senseless, repetative and in the end annoying. To me that is.

Quote:
But black metal? Have you not heard of bands such as Windir, Bathory or Immortal? If you dislike them, fine, but I'm appalled that you would call them abominations. There are some masterpieces out there. It seems to me that you base your entire opinion on a vocal style you simply dislike, which corrupts your understanding of the instrumental work as you choose not to examine it. Or you have just been listening to crappy black/death bands.
No, i don't know those bands. Should I?
And you are both right and wrong. My biggest gripe is indeed the vocal style. It really is getting old and it sounds like the leads should try singing for once. I don't mind growling really, but all the time? Comeon, a little variance vocally wouldn't hurt.
And of course I choose not to examine something I don't like the sound of. Would you do that?
I admit my statements are very much based on my ignorance of the genres. Maybe I have just heard crappy bands and have taken them as representants for the genres. Never once denied that. Just said that most of what i've heard is bollocks.

And btw, I actually like the Nevermore song. Quite cool.
Edit - The Windir song I like too. Damn you for starting to convert me! DAMN YOU! :D

And of course, less talk more rock:

And lastly, some real crappe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.

Last edited by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH; 03-18-10 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spell check is killing me :P
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-17-10, 02:04 PM

Zenith_of_Mind's Flag is: Croatia

I'm gonna go with AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH on this one, I really don't like black/death metal. I haven't listened to many bands from those subgenre, but the moment I hear growling vocals I turn it off. I guess there are good black/death bands out there, but I tend not to bother with them. If you're trying to give a message about human society try singing so that the listeners can actually understand you. The only death metal band I listen to isn't a real band:

Also, I like Dark Empire, and they're not death metal, they are progressive/thrash. Other than that, I focus mostly on heavy and power bands.

post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-17-10, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH
Since when? As far as I know they have always been making power metal. So have all their associated acts.
Perhaps I was mistaken, but when looking up the band one of their descriptions read 'progressive death metal' along side 'prog power', ect.

Quote:
Yeah, I do that to a lot of people. Maybe it is my choice of words you have a problem with. Understandable. I do ramble a lot and I rarely judge people on what they say (there are situations where I do. Racist remarks I can't stand). So words are of little consequence to me. Does that make sense? Or am I being a jerk again?
It is your ignorance that caused me to jump on your post like that. You say you don't view words with significant consequence? Then why of all things do you allow racist remarks to offend you? And why would they offend you if you resent the human race? Or is it because you are too 'insane'?

Quote:
Huh? I'm sorry but I was unaware that they owned that. Nothing prevents other metalgenres from doing so too. So I don't see how this is relevant.
You misunderstand. I never said they "owned" anything, I was pointing out the theme of many death metal bands which coincides with your supposed resentment of mankind. To say the 'genre' as a whole is an abomination/pollutant seemed unusual and shows you know very little about what you are talking about. Even black metal (which, believe it or not is often based on real folk songs like Windir, is that an abomination too?) can fit in to that category.

Quote:
Never said it was random. It is very well planned but the effect becomes the opposite. It just seems senseless, repetitive and in the end annoying. To me that is.
True that you didn't say they were random, although it was suggested in my eyes. Many bands are...very psychoactive in their implementation. That doesn't cater to everyone. Is it senseless? Not in the slightest bit. Once again, I'll point to the band Death as an example. Many of their songs have deep themes that work with the music. Symbolic, 1,000 Eyes, Individual Thought Patterns, Vacant Planets...

Many, many, many crappy bands fail to achieve this, yes. But it wouldn't do any justice towards the skilled artists. A common misconception is that 'death metal' is all about nonsensical violence, gore and stuff like that.

Repetitive? Beyond a good bands style, there is a ton of variation in instrumental work through a bands song/album/discography. There are people who are unable to process what they are hearing in regards to many kinds of music. Whether that be choosing not to through rejecting it or because they are mentally incapable.

But if you legitimately dislike it, whatever. I thought those two were odd things to say.

Quote:
And of course I choose not to examine something I don't like the sound of. Would you do that?
Just because something appears unpleasant on a superficial glance doesn't mean it should not deserve to be deconstructed. I don't enjoy a lot of vocalists at all, yet I still listen to the band because they may have extraordinary instrumental work. I'm capable of tuning them out without any issues. Death, for example, has amazing solo's. Yet I tolerate Schuldiners singing. And I can perfectly understand what he is saying, though as you pointed out, isn't possible for many bands. Then there are black metal bands like Immortal. The singer growls a bit but it's that actually sounds badass instead of some fat sweaty angry guy cupping the mic like other bands.

There are a ton of songs I find to be atrocious, yet their solo's/guitar/bass work is amazing. Thus I will listen to that free of bias. I'm guessing you aren't a musician, then.

Quote:
And I am sure my statements are very much based on my ignorance of the genres. Maybe I have just heard crappy bands and have taken them as representants for the genres.
And btw, I actually like the Nevermore song. Quite cool.
Edit - The Windir song I like too. Damn you for starting to convert me! DAMN YOU! :D
I told you there is a loooooot of shit out there. To disparage Death and Black metal entirely without having heard of many skilled groups within seemed shocking to me. Off the bat it just seemed like you would otherwise enjoy a death/black metal band with excellent instrumental work if their vocals were only sung cleanly.

My root of the issue is that you had offered only insults to extremely talented musicians in your first post. Bands like Carcariass, Death and Atheist are in fact well coordinated. They are meant to play flowing, complex, often technical, songs that may never repeat itself more than two, maybe three times like many other bands who will repeat the same build up or well beaten climax a dozen times.

I'm not bashing power metal, to note. I'm just defending the good bands of the black/death 'genre' from the unreasonable remark you have attributed to them. There are a shitload of crappy fail examples in every genre, and then there are the rare gems. Listen. I really do dislike most death metal bands because they are usually made up of talentless assclowns who somehow wandered on stage. But it's the elite that deserve my appreciation and my open mind that keeps me from disregarding every single band under a genre name that leaves little for me to like.

I'll throw up some songs you might enjoy. Abbath of I/Immortal has shown to be the only growler who 100% of the people I had listen to actually enjoyed his vocals. Regardless, your view on metal is your own and I am content to agree to disagree. Though I view your 'abomination' and 'pollution' comments with much chagrin. And I'm unsure why having a lead sing would change anything.

Immortal (Same singer from I)

Last edited by Holmstrom; 03-17-10 at 06:54 PM.
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-17-10, 05:42 PM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

I cant post videos at work, so all im going to suggest is: American Head Charge

My favourite band, been listening to them since... i cant remember. I just hope any of guys who listen will like em.

If you dont, no need to flame the thread saying so.

later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-17-10, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Skull Harvester's Flag is: USA

In response to the whole growling thing, you need to look for people who can do it right. This means don't look up bands like Devil Wears Prada and all that shit, check out any Opeth/Bloodbath, or if you want something more mainstream or melodic, All That Remains or Between the Buried and Me (one of my all time favorites). The whole chaotic nature of some bands is called math metal, and trying to explain that would be futile, so I'll just say its the style and everything "adds up" if you listen to the whole song. A good example is the first song I posted below, one of my all time favorite songs Selkies. It changes so much during the entire song, so listen to the whole thing before you judge. The solo and outro of the song are just gorgeous.

one of the greatest songs of all time from a man who can do anything metal

and something without vocals

Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls. These are some of my favourite things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Music Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode