Eurovision vs the UK - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Eurovision vs the UK

Okay this may not be the best forum for the subject of Eurovision as most people here are into music that is a tad heavier, but anyway, i like Eurovision, its one of the few "reality" tv shows im willing to watch and its a bit of a tradition in my family.

Anyway if you caught the competition over the weekend i was wondering what you thought of the UKs position of 4th from bottom out of 27 nations?

for those not familar, Eurovision is a 60 year old annual music competition, the various nations from Europe enter a song and then vote to see whos song was the best and the winner then hosts the competition the following year, its a bit of fun, its mainly power ballards and pop music.

anyway the UK for the last 18 or so years hasnt won, and more to the point in the last 10 years has consistently placed very very poorly.

now this years entry from the UK wasnt too bad, it was certanly not bad enough to score only 5 points, some years i would say we deserved to get low scores but this year i would have said mid table.

anyway how do you feel about it and about the competition in general? should we walk away? should we take it away from the BBC and move it to a channel who are more willing to take it seriously, should we stop automatic qualification and go through the semis? should we take it seriously rather than as a joke ? after all things like britains got talent etc are huge in our country plus we have produced some seriously huge exports in the music industry, should we look to people with proven pedigree and show the rest of Europe how it really should be done?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 10:37 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

I don't know about you channels but the autoqualification is discussed in Sweden as being bad for you, and the other countries that do so. We think it lower the motivation to put forth something realy special since you are in whatever you send.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriouce View Post
I don't know about you channels but the autoqualification is discussed in Sweden as being bad for you, and the other countries that do so. We think it lower the motivation to put forth something realy special since you are in whatever you send.
I think you have a valid point, do you think we get punished in the voting because of it? like i was saying our song this time wasnt terrible, but still did nothing vote wise, we shouldnt be punished because the power that be decided they needed our cash to make the competition happen and the only way to get it was to give autoqualification, though i have to say out of the big five four of us got spanked and the one who didnt was funnily enough Italy who alot of people dont think is one of the big five anyway(used to be four members), would it be worse for the competition if all nations paid the same to take part rather than the big 5 footing the most of the bill? or worse still they had to sell advertising ?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 11:06 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

I don't know how it is paid. I think the whole bill should be split in proportion to the BNP of the countries that join. Maybe thats the way it is but if so your autoqualification doesn't make any sense. I don't think you are being punished. I havn't looked at it for the past two years but I can't remember any song from anybody of the 5 that I liked. And that includes she who won for germany.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 11:10 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

The song was ok, nothing special. It stood out amongst the others because it seemed to be a typical eurovision "fun" song. The other entries seemed to be power ballads of some kind. TBH I dont think it matters at all where we place, its all pretty awful and none of the songs would likely chart anywhere outside of their home country anyway.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Squared View Post
The song was ok, nothing special. It stood out amongst the others because it seemed to be a typical eurovision "fun" song. The other entries seemed to be power ballads of some kind. TBH I dont think it matters at all where we place, its all pretty awful and none of the songs would likely chart anywhere outside of their home country anyway.
well the winner of the contest peaked at number 4 in our charts, which i guess means people were impressed with it enough to want to own it/listen to it.

but you make a good point, our entry was good honest typical Eurovison fare, plenty of fun and i cant help thinking had it been done by another nation it would have placed better. look at the Australian entry, it was pretty standard stuff too and it came fifth ffs!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriouce View Post
I don't know how it is paid. I think the whole bill should be split in proportion to the BNP of the countries that join. Maybe thats the way it is but if so your autoqualification doesn't make any sense. I don't think you are being punished. I havn't looked at it for the past two years but I can't remember any song from anybody of the 5 that I liked. And that includes she who won for germany.
i think essentially the vast majority of the money comes from the big five via the European Broadcasting Union, the rest of the cash comes from corporate sponsors.
As with anything its very difficult to nail down an actual cash sum, but essentially france,germany,UK,spain and Italy contribute the lions share and some say the BBC/UK up to 40% of the total and have on numerous occasions bailed the competition out of the shit and taken over as host due to a fair few winners not being able to host the show due to financial issues(pre 2000) , BBC have quite a few fingers in pie around the globe so it wouldnt surprise me if they were stumping up alot of cash and then broadcasting it down under and in the states etc.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 12:23 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Any British act that signs up would have to be bottom of the barrel, even amongst pop music. Any pop act with credibility (in the pop music industry) would lose too much entering the ESC for it to be worthwhile- the only pop group that could benefit would be an unheard of group with nothing to lose who could use the whole thing as publicity. Bad publicity, but that's better than nothing if you are a nobody I suppose

First, seventh, fourth bottom, last place... who cares? Every OP codex GW have ever released contains less cheese than a single year of the Eurovision Song Contest.

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 04:18 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

You could try sending a puppet or ginger twins like we have in the past, now that we've realised that the block voting has killed the competition. It's now too big and unwieldy, and might be better off being split into Eastern and Western Europe. There were a couple of really good songs that barely got a vote that were deserving of doing much better, like Spain or Hungary. As for the Russian song, I thought she was completely out of tune, and shouldn't have gotten half the points she did. But that's block voting for you.

I must add that it's the first time in about 15 years I've say down and watched it. It must have been the weekend that was in it over here.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-15, 06:24 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Eurovision?
Personally I'd rather nail my cap end to a railway sleeper, but hey ho.

I still think it was pretty funny that a "metal" (?) band from Finland won the other year.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Music Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode