Your Top 5 Artists/Bands Right Now - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-06-14, 02:25 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
Ah man, haven't heard him in ages but absolutely fell in love with this a while back after hearing it on the battlestar galactica soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qAAPRbRSc0
Excellent stuff =)

My favorites are:

Pruit Igoe from Koyaanisqatsi. I was stoked when I realized it was included on the soundtrack to Watchmen. It introduced it to a whole new generation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOEDsZbR6jE

Akhnaten, pretty much the whole thing, but for brevity sake I'll just pick one song, The Window of Appearances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0eangK_KBo

Symphony 3 Movement 4, + here's a great live version of movements 3 and 4. Movement 4 starts at about 11:10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4S02aEvBXU

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-10-14, 11:54 PM

1. No Doubt
2. U2
3. The Corrs
4. Metallica
5. Savatage / Trans Siberian Orchestra
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 12:11 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
you sir are a legend, you are only the third person i know of who has heard of TSO, who hasnt had me introduce them to the band.

anyway i was listening to Paul Oakenfold Goa mix 1994, which is pretty full on dance mixed with dialog from blade runner, why ?i hear you ask, well Harrison ford is going to reprise his Dekard role in the sequel and that made me think about the Goa sessions and Vangelis
Vangelis then lead me to Jon Anderson (not to be confused with John Anderson of country music fame or the footballer from Ireland) Jon Leads me Yes and then ELP and Tangerine Dream, who did an alternate score for the movie Legend, which also had the lyrics recorded by non other than Jon Anderson, but also lyrics for another song by Brian ferry and Guitar by Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd,which lead me on to listening to Division bell.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 01:25 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
you are only the third person i know of who has heard of TSO
Make that 4, my friend. Toronto has (seemingly) always been a stop on their tour route, though I have yet to make it out to see them live.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 02:36 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Make that 4, my friend. Toronto has (seemingly) always been a stop on their tour route, though I have yet to make it out to see them live.
Do see them live if you get the chance. I have been to three of their concerts and they rank as some of the top live events I have been to.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 03:55 PM

I saw them back in December, they were awesome, too bad I saw it with my now ex-wife :-P
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 03:58 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

WOW, i have doubled the number of people i know who are in the know about TSO! in less than a day!
To be fair i dont think they get to the UK very much, but i would love to see them live.

personal favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFsph70gPJk

damn jace, sorry to hear about that and my choice of tunes seems a little insensitive...sorry buddy

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-14, 05:29 PM

Huh. I started a reply to this thread, but it looks like I never posted it.

TSO is pretty big here. They play the arenas here in Philadelphia. My aunt (in her 50's) and uncle went the last time TSO were in town.

I liked Savatage too, but the vocals could be kind of hokey.

As symphonic metal goes I generally prefer Therion's album Secret of the Runes. But they're targeted at very different audiences.

"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:

Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 05-16-14 at 05:33 PM.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-17-14, 12:41 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
1) Dream Theater - Still my #1 Band, best Prog Metal band and their most recent album is an excellent piece of work
2) Infected Mushroom - highly technical electronica...good stuff
3) Babymetal - J-pop and K-pop have always been guilty pleasures combine it with quality speed metal riffs and the its been fun
4) Imagine Dragons - Popular band right now, but I like the sound
5) Caravan Palace - not sure why I got hooked into electro-swing, but few groups do it as well as this one
Dream Theater and Infected Mushroom are great fun. Caravan Palace has really been captivating me too, recently. I was under-impressed by Imagine Dragons' other stuff besides "Radioactive," though, honestly. It didn't really stand out to me (though that's just me--love them all you want for yourself, of course!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Alexi Murdoch - musically fascinating stuff based on guitar and voice but with other cool stuff
Pink Floyd - of course
Bo Burnham - music is decent but he's hilarious so I'm counting him
Simon & Garfunkel - just an awesome sound
Chick Corea - well really jazz in general, but he's my current favorite
Pink Floyd and Simon & Garfunkel are really quite excellent--classics for the ages. I've been into Alexi Murdoch myself, recently. I and everyone I know who's heard him ran across him because of Pandora, it seems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
The Weakerthans - folk rock from Winnipeg
And I, at least, know they're from Winnipeg because of "One Great City!", heh. "I hate Winnipeg..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Philip Glass
Koyaaaaaaanisquaaaatsiiii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I know TSO too! Can I join the party? ...sure, I haven't listened to much besides Christmas Eve/Sarajevo, but...

*ahem* my choices:

- The Mountain Goats: A singer/songwriter with few peers in terms of the excellence of his work, though it can be a bit of an acquired taste.
- Modest Mouse: Cynical and bitter alt rock heroes.
- Tom Waits: The one, the classic, the unmistakable. Named my CSM warband after one of his albums.
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Post-rock kings, long may they reign.
- The Glitch Mob: Talk about "pulse-pounding." Music to watch things explode to.

Had too cull altogether too many favorite bands from that list to feel comfortable with it (Sufjan Stevens, Metric, Anas Mitchell... to name a few of the most difficult to cut)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-17-14, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post

Koyaaaaaaanisquaaaatsiiii.

I know TSO too! Can I join the party? ...sure, I haven't listened to much besides Christmas Eve/Sarajevo, but...

- Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Post-rock kings, long may they reign.
- The Glitch Mob: Talk about "pulse-pounding." Music to watch things explode to.
Man, I knew there was a reason I liked you. Other than the good attitude and cool models/tacticas.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
And the Glitch Mob

Fuckin'A =)

Raise your skinny fists my friend, raise your skinny fists.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Music Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode