Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin
1) Dream Theater - Still my #1 Band, best Prog Metal band and their most recent album is an excellent piece of work
2) Infected Mushroom - highly technical electronica...good stuff
3) Babymetal - J-pop and K-pop have always been guilty pleasures combine it with quality speed metal riffs and the its been fun
4) Imagine Dragons - Popular band right now, but I like the sound
5) Caravan Palace - not sure why I got hooked into electro-swing, but few groups do it as well as this one
Dream Theater and Infected Mushroom are great fun. Caravan Palace has really been captivating me too, recently. I was under-impressed by Imagine Dragons' other stuff besides "Radioactive," though, honestly. It didn't really stand out to me (though that's just me--love them all you want for yourself, of course!).
Alexi Murdoch - musically fascinating stuff based on guitar and voice but with other cool stuff
Pink Floyd - of course
Bo Burnham - music is decent but he's hilarious so I'm counting him
Simon & Garfunkel - just an awesome sound
Chick Corea - well really jazz in general, but he's my current favorite
Pink Floyd and Simon & Garfunkel are really quite excellent--classics for the ages. I've been into Alexi Murdoch myself, recently. I and everyone I know who's heard him ran across him because of Pandora, it seems...
The Weakerthans - folk rock from Winnipeg
And I, at least, know they're from Winnipeg because of "One Great City!", heh. "I hate Winnipeg...
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar
5. Savatage / Trans Siberian Orchestra
I know TSO too! Can I join the party? ...sure, I haven't listened to much besides Christmas Eve/Sarajevo, but...
*ahem* my choices:
- The Mountain Goats:
A singer/songwriter with few peers in terms of the excellence of his work, though it can be a bit of an acquired taste.
- Modest Mouse:
Cynical and bitter alt rock heroes.
- Tom Waits:
The one, the classic, the unmistakable. Named my CSM warband after one of his albums.
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor:
Post-rock kings, long may they reign.
- The Glitch Mob:
Talk about "pulse-pounding." Music to watch things explode to.
Had too cull altogether too many favorite bands from that list to feel comfortable with it (Sufjan Stevens, Metric, Anaïs Mitchell... to name a few of the most difficult to cut)