Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
since when were you cool enough to deduct cool points -2 Cool Points
Since when was I not? -3 Cool Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logaan View Post
Oi oi oi oi! What a minute there before you start with the cool points!

Straight Outta Compton and Black Sunday are two of the greatest hip hop albums ever made. Yes the over riding theme is about drugs, guns and women of questionable morals.....but still, two great albums
At least you are aware of your folly. I shall begrudgingly award you +1 Cool Point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 03:23 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

How is that even slightly about drugs?
You're talking nonsense!

In my younger days it used to be a rule that you couldn't listen to this song without a bong on the go, many happy nights were spent listening to this album, if only I could remember them now

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 05:04 PM

So, using machines is less valid somehow than using a traditional instrument? Try picking up a TR 909, the classic electronic music base (much as a guitar is for rock), and see what you come up with.... It takes as long to master as any other instrument, and is only one of the dozens of machines someone needs to master in order to produce electronic music. Just because you dislike the results doesn't mean there's no skill involved, or that one genre is somehow "better" than another...... Personally, I love examples of all kinds of music, without exception......

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 07:21 PM

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
There's your problem right there.

You work in a top 40 nightclub meaning the music played is the lowest common denominator mass produced drivel. In the same way as most mainstream metal is horrible, piss weak nonsense that lacks any form of real musical merit, mainstream urban music is the same. Rap music is just different, its not any better or worse other than in your personal taste. Music will always be a subjective thing, personal taste is how we select music that we like, we don't choose music on merit.

Using machines to make music isn't necessarily a bad thing either, I love trip hop as well as metal, bands like Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps or Portishead wouldn't exist if not for some very clever music software and hardware. I also like a lot of industrial stuff, Godflesh use drum machines, GGFH use synths and all sorts of strange equipment and so do KMFDM, they don't sing about hoes and money though so does that make them more or less valid in your opinion?

As long as music provokes a feeling or emotion in the listener then it has done its job, it is a form of artistic expression and musicians will always produce music that is relevant and meaningful to them. If that means hoes and bitches and selling drugs then fair enough, it doesn't particularly appeal to me but I wouldn't say it was any less relevant than the music I listen to about serial killers, suicide, black magic, Satanism or warfare.

It could just be the punk in me but I can't stand the idea that you need to be a virtuoso to play music, that you somehow need to be a master of a particular musical instrument to be relevant. If you can make something make a noise then you can make music, if that something happens to be a drum machine and a sampler then go for it, make your music. The end result may not be to my taste, it doesn't have to be, as long as you like it that's all that matters.

On that note, I will leave you with a short blast of fucked up weird industrial music that I love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8T7OzVVOok
im going to work down this as necessary, but i hope you get the point im trying to make on this.

Rap / hip-hop, by definition is usually a single artist SPEAKING RHYMES to a set beat, yes? Music, by definition on the other hand is a series of notes played on instruments to create a melody, which usually has intros, verses, endings, the lyrics dont always rhyme, but usually they are sung, changing the word from how we normally speak it to fit in better with the Melody behind it.

Rap / hip-hop does NOT fit into a musical category, it fits far closer into a poetry category, and some artists I have a respect for, AS POETS, but not as musicians.

I can rhyme till the sun dont shine,
and if you think me a liar, then im gunna set you on fire.

I can rhyme stupidly easy, I can make a beat and rhyme to it stupidly easy, there is no skill involved in rhyming off another persons beat. I will respect them as music when I see them doing their thing while, at the very least, having somneone behind them playing the melody they are rapping / hip-hoping to.

to bring up the thoughts of industrial music, the music itsself is composed and usually unique, even if its using artificial means, most of the music is not just a set beat, it generally has, intros, verses, etc.

And ill say it once again, certain rap / hip-hop I like, but I cant call it music, its not made like music, its made like poetry, shitty poetry with "bad words" scattered through it speaking very blatently about "gang style life" it is still a form of poetry.

To me, Calling Rap / Hip-hop music is like calling Demotivational posters works of art.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-13, 09:35 PM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Crying that there is no good music left is like a thirty year old desperate single woman claiming that there are no good men left. They exist in good numbers it's just that where you looking sucks and it takes time and patience to weed through all the mediocre crap.

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-13, 11:02 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

This thread started with someone being upset that common song progressions have made it to metal, and that this is a new trend. Pretty sure every band relies on those compositions, aside from those that decide to go linear in their song writing and not repeat progressions in their songs (ie. the abuse of time signatures and sweet sweet tone). I think your disappointment lies in that you've spent so long listening to the same progressions in songs regardless of genre that you're actually noticing that all the music we're talking about comes from 12 notes and their octaves. There's only so much musicians can do to make it interesting and new within the confines of western music theory. Tuning lower sure creates wicked tones and heavier music (thanks, Black Sabbath) but at some point you're going to hear something new and compare it to something you know and realize it's all the same or that the new guys are ripping off the old guys, whatever angle you want to take on it.

Intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, outro and all it's variants are going nowhere fast, but can take on many forms and aren't limited to a genre.

In short, I agree with ThatOtherGuy.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-13, 03:12 AM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
This thread started with someone being upset that common song progressions have made it to metal, and that this is a new trend. Pretty sure every band relies on those compositions, aside from those that decide to go linear in their song writing and not repeat progressions in their songs (ie. the abuse of time signatures and sweet sweet tone). I think your disappointment lies in that you've spent so long listening to the same progressions in songs regardless of genre that you're actually noticing that all the music we're talking about comes from 12 notes and their octaves. There's only so much musicians can do to make it interesting and new within the confines of western music theory. Tuning lower sure creates wicked tones and heavier music (thanks, Black Sabbath) but at some point you're going to hear something new and compare it to something you know and realize it's all the same or that the new guys are ripping off the old guys, whatever angle you want to take on it.

Intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, outro and all it's variants are going nowhere fast, but can take on many forms and aren't limited to a genre.

In short, I agree with ThatOtherGuy.
You have to understand that the structure of most modern music is based off of the baroque style of Rondo. It's the simplest style of music while still achieving beauty in structure and flow. It's not surprising that it has made its way into metal... on second thought it has always been in metal! It's just that now from what OP is saying is that the style is now becoming incredibly simplified and being pursued as the staple, thus becoming a somewhat boring trend compared to "dem good old days".

It shall soon pass before we know it. However the basic underlying structure isn't going to disappear anytime soon.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-13, 08:04 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Thats how you scream. The words can be understood and its not a bunch of noise coming from guys trying too hard to sound hardcore. This shit will boil your soul with the raw passion put into the music. It doesn't scream because it tries to be hardcore. It screams because it IS hardcore. You can literally feel the emotion in this music.

Not like the new garbage you hear today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
Crying that there is no good music left is like a thirty year old desperate single woman claiming that there are no good men left. They exist in good numbers it's just that where you looking sucks and it takes time and patience to weed through all the mediocre crap.
Also this. You have to look in the nooks and crannies. The mainstream stuff is trash. Do a little exploring, places like last.fm are your friend. Put in your favorite band and eventually you will hear something new and go "Whoa what is that?" and find a new band to investigate.

Last edited by Iron Angel; 02-26-13 at 08:13 AM.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-13, 01:53 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

You've got to think, do you honestly remember EVERY band from 5-10 years ago? How about EVERY song on the radio from back then? Do your parents remember EVERY band and song from their time? No. Music is one of the most fickle and ever-changing mediums of human expression. There's a lot of samey sounding shit our there, but then again there's also s shit-ton of music that people have never heard, whether because it's outside their generation or locale. With the internet it's incredibly easy to connect with like-minded individuals and discuss music. For example, recently I've been getting into older black metal bands like Venom and Bathory, because people I've been following on Tumblr tell me about how original and pure the music is by them (and they're right by the way). What kind of music are you into?
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-13, 07:36 PM

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

there's no such thing as bad music. All music is an art-form, so it purely depends on if you like it or not. If you don't like pop or rap or whatever, you just don't like rap or pop. It's honestly that simple.

You not liking a band or todays music does not make them a bad band. Saying that any band sucks is a stupid thing to say. Flaming a band or genre because you don't like it only reflects an individuals knowledge towards art.

With that said, you do not have to look into "the outskirts" to find good music. All music is good music, or maybe all music is bad music, DEPENDING ON YOUR OWN PERSONNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAALLLLL! PREFERENCE
Im done

on another note, what trippy ambient musician do you listen to? post a link

Last edited by MidnightKid333; 03-05-13 at 07:40 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Music Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode