A worrying metal trend..... - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-13, 09:59 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Rap is rap, if you're into rock and metal don't listen to it but don't claim any form of moral high ground, music stems from social groups and different social groups will produce different music, no one style has any more relevance or validity than any other.

Rap fans will mostly tell you that metal is all noise, screaming and stories about dragons or the devil, it has no relevance in their lives so it doesn't appeal to them. The same could be said of rap music, its all about hoes and money and cars, it has no relevance to non fans.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-13, 10:11 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
What I think is killing metal at the moment is technicality, I fucking hate technical metal, its soulless, bland and boring. I think the only band that actually pull it off are Nile, they may well be technical but they don't sound it, their music still has feeling. Cannibal Corpse's new stuff is horrible, I saw them in London last year and left halfway through their set, it was terrible.
My metal heroes are people like Kerry King, Max Cavalera, Tom G Warrior and the guys from Godflesh, their stuff is primitive, brutal and fucking loud, the way metal should be.

I don't care if you're playing in an off time signature, if it sounds shit then its not clever.
I don't care how long you spent getting the right tone on your guitar, it still sounds like shit to me.

Tune down, play hard and let the details work themselves out.
Pretty much. Nothing kills something good faster than dickheads showing off and idiots who don't understand that sometimes less is more.

Somehow, this thread also reminds me of this:

Sums it up nicely don't ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 01:07 AM

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

just because I have to put this in, I work at a top40 night club with an "urban" night on sundays (aka all hip hop and rap) the music is about nothing but sex from stupid bitches, and for some reason the stupid bitches eat it all up.

Our world works in cycles, everything in nature can be brought down to a cycle, including auditory tastes as Ive said earlier in this thread even, we are unfortunately moving away from a "musical" phase of auditory enjoyment to a more "poetic" phase, where words rhyming to a set interval beat has become the popular.

This being said, I will never respect hip - hop, rap, etc. as music, for multiple reasons, the most predominant being that it is far closer to what we call "poetry" then "music".

The artists of Rap and Hip-hop are also the worst of the worst for role models, being "gangster" while currently synonymous with being cool still, it is also, very much a term of someone who goes against the law, and these "gangsters" go against the law in the worst way, dropping out of school because its "cool" stealing, even murdering eachother (or innocent bystanders).

and the last point i will bring up against rap and hip-hop is that it really has become just one idiot who managed to make it big 'upping' the 'rep' of his 'posse' and making them all rich and famous in return, even if between the whole 'crew' there isnt a lick of musical talent between them, using machines and time to make their 'songs' rather then using their talent.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 06:33 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Werewolf_Arngeirr View Post
just because I have to put this in, I work at a top40 night club with an "urban" night on sundays
There's your problem right there.

You work in a top 40 nightclub meaning the music played is the lowest common denominator mass produced drivel. In the same way as most mainstream metal is horrible, piss weak nonsense that lacks any form of real musical merit, mainstream urban music is the same. Rap music is just different, its not any better or worse other than in your personal taste. Music will always be a subjective thing, personal taste is how we select music that we like, we don't choose music on merit.

Using machines to make music isn't necessarily a bad thing either, I love trip hop as well as metal, bands like Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps or Portishead wouldn't exist if not for some very clever music software and hardware. I also like a lot of industrial stuff, Godflesh use drum machines, GGFH use synths and all sorts of strange equipment and so do KMFDM, they don't sing about hoes and money though so does that make them more or less valid in your opinion?

As long as music provokes a feeling or emotion in the listener then it has done its job, it is a form of artistic expression and musicians will always produce music that is relevant and meaningful to them. If that means hoes and bitches and selling drugs then fair enough, it doesn't particularly appeal to me but I wouldn't say it was any less relevant than the music I listen to about serial killers, suicide, black magic, Satanism or warfare.

It could just be the punk in me but I can't stand the idea that you need to be a virtuoso to play music, that you somehow need to be a master of a particular musical instrument to be relevant. If you can make something make a noise then you can make music, if that something happens to be a drum machine and a sampler then go for it, make your music. The end result may not be to my taste, it doesn't have to be, as long as you like it that's all that matters.

On that note, I will leave you with a short blast of fucked up weird industrial music that I love.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 07:07 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Can't stand the guttural screaming metal, where you can't understand a damn word that they say. I hate it with a fucking passion. I enjoy the instrumentals mostly, but there also has to be comprehendable lyrics to go along with the instrumentals. Otherwise, I get no enjoyment out of the music. This seems to be what most people consider the best kind of metal is the guttural screaming shit. If its somewhat like that, but you can still understand the lyrics, hey i'm down to listen to it. Otherwise no.

If anyone here has anything that fits into my likes, you know, with lyrics that are understandable, then message me or something. I'm open to new bands and broadening what I listen to.
I am this absolutely! Jester, you might find some appeal in Firewind. I found them hit and miss at first but they've grown on me.

The screaming incomprehensible stuff is just noise to me and I will never understand the appeal.

So what if most Metal is following the same formula. If they can keep a decent variety in the process and play their instruments well, then I will listen and enjoy. I've found that Hammerfall and Firewind have done reasonably well in this regard. And I like their lyrics a hell of a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Also, I think something else that is killing good music is pop, rap, and hip hop. Most kids these days, it seems, think that is all good music. I respect their opinions of course, but it is still shit music that deserves to be purged from history.
As the older (and therefore better) generations it is our responsibility to teach our youth about what music is supposed to be. By force if necessary.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 07:52 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally i think Music of all types is a generational thing, i will always look at my era with fond memories and be 100% convinced that "my" music is better than what the kids are listening to today, plus add to that the fact the music industry has been seriously fucked over and picked dry by the record companies, what chance does "real" music in any form have any more? On the plus side however the invention of the interwebs and resurgence of live giging means its actually possible to experience a much wider variety of musicians even if its a little more amateur in nature.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Logaan's Flag is: England

Not just me that has noticed this then? Awesome!

The stuff usually on my playlists is Slayer, Dying Fetus, Panzerchrist, Cannibal Corpse, anything that involves Max Cavalera, Leng Tch'e, Hatebreed - pretty much anything that makes me want to punch through walls.

On the technical side, I appreciate bands like Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus et al, who are undoubtedly gifted musicians but I also love the rawness of dropped D. I used to have a guitar in a Max C stylee - b and e taken off, detuned to D and I used to love smashing the crap out of it (often played through my bass amp to get that more mental sound)

I just appreciate loud, angry music. That aside, I have quite an eclectic mix of music that I enjoy - anything from Slayer to Skinny Puppy, Tori Amos to NWA and Cypress Hill.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 02:21 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logaan View Post
NWA and Cypress Hill.
-1 Cool Points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 02:28 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
-1 Cool Points.
since when were you cool enough to deduct cool points -2 Cool Points

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Logaan's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
-1 Cool Points.
Oi oi oi oi! What a minute there before you start with the cool points!

Straight Outta Compton and Black Sunday are two of the greatest hip hop albums ever made. Yes the over riding theme is about drugs, guns and women of questionable morals.....but still, two great albums

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Music Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode