Tips from singers/vocalists regarding nerves? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Default Tips from singers/vocalists regarding nerves?

I suffer from crippling stage fright, not just at the thought of getting on a stage but at the thought of performing anything in front of anyone! Playing bass or guitar isn't so bad, I have something to hide behind and can choose to look engrossed in my poor playing if I want. My problem comes when I attempt to do any form of vocals, I just freeze and either completely choke or, sometimes, a little girlie squeak comes out

This didn't used to be such a problem, I could generally get over my nerves enough (through booze and whatnot) to get what I needed to do done and was fortunately not often called upon for vocal duties (through booze and whatnot).

But, and this is the problem, I might have to get my vocal head back on soon without the aid of alcohol or anything else and I'm fucking terrified at the mere thought of it. It's only going to be me and a friend who has always been very positive about my dubious vocal skills but the nerves are shredding me already.

Are there any singers/vocalists who have dealt with nerves in the past and have any tips or advice for getting over them? Any techniques, tricks or anything, anything at all, its only a couple of weeks away and I'm already panicking!

HELP!!!

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 01:07 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

It's all about confidence, I've never sung (to the undying relief of the listening public) but I have done a lot of public speaking and what I found best to get over the jitters was to do and think things that boosted my self confidence.

It's the old "imagine them in their underwear" thing taken to a new level. You build a mind picture of yourself as the most amazing rock star the world has ever know, the more you believe it, the more they will believe it.

The first note/word is the hardest. Two notes in and you'll be smashing it !
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 01:12 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Alcohol carried me through right up until I heard myself back on a recording. Not many people actually truly sound better drunk. I sing in a punk band (so stamina yelling), do backups for a female vocalist in an acoustic project and have my own blues/folk stuff that I sing for. Do it more! The more you sing in the mirror, driving around, playing guitar, not playing guitar, on the toilet, in the rain- you get it- the more confidence you have in your ability to do it competently in front of people. The stage fright took me about a year of playing in front of people to get over, and honestly it was just hours and days of practice in the mirror. I would record videos on my phone or computer or whatever to listen back to where I needed to work on my breathing, where this note suffered or where that one needed to be phrased differently. Once I had organized the performance in my mind I found that I was spending less time thinking about the audience and more time paying attention to myself and making sure my show was on its A-game. It's almost as if I'm sitting back in a control room overseeing myself play guitar and sing/play harmonica at the same time and that totally occupies my thoughts during a gig.

Hopefully there's something in there that helps! And stay strong man, you are NOT worse than Rebecca Black and she got signed and put into music videos. As long as you give an honest performance and try your best people will recognize and celebrate your efforts. Otherwise they ain't worth your time! :D

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 01:13 AM

Shag's Flag is: Kenya

Dude I have done some singin too and yeah it can be intimidating. One thing may sound strange has helped a friend of mine is exercising...wat you say? Yeah... he had really bad nerves too so he would like do some pushups or something before singin and he was fine because that got the "shakes out" for him. For me it's the foot stomp thing. You know when you are up on stage and you got the mic and you are foot stompin that helps me feel it. So ask the band to start with a real upbeat song like seven nation army. Don't start with a slow song/balladish top begin with. I hope this helps bud cuz I do too like to drink and sing but it's good too to have the ability no to.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 01:16 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

That's a great idea Shag, a big endorphine rush from a workout will push your confidence skyhigh!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-12, 05:20 AM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Well, since I pretty much growl and shriek along to my favorite death and black metal albums pretty much every day in my dorm, doing in public or in front of a group of people never really stops me. Just keep doing it for shits and giggles on the side and eventually you can whip it out anytime without spilling the spaghetti.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Music Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode