Dark Elf Sorceress Finally Finished - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-11, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Default Dark Elf Sorceress Finally Finished

So here you go guys. Time for me to put my work, (and pride) out for everyone to comment and criticise.

Fortunately for me I can take the criticism - my pride will just have to hug a pillow in a dark corner for a while!

So, my DE Sorceress has taken quite a bit of time to paint but I'm sort of glad I took that time - I'm really happy with the way she turned out. What do you guys think?

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 01:32 AM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

I likkee!

Took me a while to notice it but the Marbling on the staff is a nice touch and the blue on the boots is really vibrant (not being blind I noticed that straight away. ).

She seems a little tanned for a Dark Elf to my eye but that's just personal taste.

You mentioned taking your time on her, how much longer did she take than your standard paintjob?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 01:38 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

she's beautifully painted and that staffwork alone is something to be proud of, how long did it take for the whole model?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 01:40 AM
Unfinished Project King

Midge913's Flag is: USA

Very nice work man!!! I love it though I would second Vash's comment about the the skin. Looks a bit hale and hearty for my conception of a dark elf, but technically it is superb. The marbling on the staff is just awesome.

Commissions, Project Logs, and Galleries
Follow me on Twitter: @MidgesWorkshop. You can aslo follow me on face book Here
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Wellnow. I've come over all blushed and shy.

Thanks for the amazing praise guys. Really grateful.

To answer several of you, she took a long time, a very long time. The guys I normally game with and myself are getting together about twice a week to paint instead of playing at the moment. So about 8 weeks, couple of hours a night once or twice a week.

I have to say though that we do get through a lot of coffee and general chin waggin about life, the universe and all things irritating (Mat Ward never ever came up, honest). That has an adverse effect on my speed. But mostly its just because I wasn't in a hurry.

If I set my mind to it, I could probably batter out a twenty strong unit in two weeks with the barest minmum paint jobs, but thats just not how I work.

In answer to the skin shade - yeah she's hale and healthy looking, but really - why shouldn't she be. All the fluff likes to describe DE as pale of face and dark of hair - so thats the way everybody paints them. If thats your thing, crack on. I liked the shade when I got to that stage of painting. I was going to keep getting lighter, adding a the tiniest bit of fortress grey, but I looked at her and just thought "thats enough right there". I do like the paler elves but she just felt right just as she was.

I'm dead happy with the staff marbling too. I've done it before with paler colours, didn't realise till I'd started how much more careful you have to be going from a darker base colour.

So, once again guys, thanks for the comments. Really great feeling to hear such constructive comments.Sorry about the long post. Gushing I think its called.

Next model up? Tomb Banshee or Cairn Wraith probably. Keep your eyes peeled!

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 04:37 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Talking on Midge on skype and like I told him, you know something is really well done when you are specifically looking for stuff wrong with a model and you can only find things that are prefrence. Really well done man!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 05:02 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I agree the skin tone is not 'Usual', it is bloody good though. Her face is magnificent, I cannot even paint eyes. I did not notice the staff immediately as my reading glasses are broken and my eyesight is generally shit. Carry on mate, this is magnificent.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Once again I bow my head in humble thanks people.

You are all too kind.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 10:16 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Exceptionally skilled work.

Given the skin-tone the gold makes the model look very warm; I would have gone for silver to keep the coldness of DE aesthetic.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 10:49 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

So when are we going to see the pic of your sorceress? and why have you got a piccy of your girlfriend in her cosplay outfit?

Looks awesome mate, nice work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode