Is resin casting worth it? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Modelling and Painting Discuss or display anything and everything regarding Terrain, Modelling and Painting here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Default Is resin casting worth it?

Okay, so I've been out of the game for a few years now and am looking at picking it up again. All I have to say is HOLY F*#% models are expensive!!!

So, I've been doing some research and have come up with the idea of sculpting my own models and resin casting an entire army. The only thing is resin casting is also expensive and it's time consuming.

So I was wondering if anyone has tried resin casting and if it's actually cheaper to cast an entire army or to just buy the models?

Also, does anyone know about how many models you can make per x amount of resin?
I found this starter kit that comes with 16oz of resin, but I have no idea how many models that will actually make.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 06:47 AM

KhainiteAssassin's Flag is: Canada

given that if your casting the official models to recast them as resin, it would be frowned upon by most communities and you will probably not get a proper answer on these forums in any case. though no one would probably put it against someone if they decided to resin cast a few of the extra bits in order to not have to buy a box of units they will never use save for that one bit.

WIPS: CHECK THEM OUT!
Space wolves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=54246
Warriors of chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=60813
Dark Eldar - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=75375
DE FLUFF - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=86956
My armies.

the key to every good DE army makeup. Always have a backup plan, try to take everything in multiples, and use everything you can to your advantage, being a sneaky bastard within the rules, as it were.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 05:46 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

I have cast extra bits before that I needed lots of but never an entire army. It would be a very time consuming project to sculpt your own and then cast them. It could be really cool I saw an army a woman did that was all sculpted and cast in clear resin. So unless some has done an entire army it would be hard to give you a straight answer on that.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 06:41 PM

Zer0's Flag is: United Kingdom

There was an army posted on BoLS a while ago where someone had sculpted and cast his army in clear resin, coloured it and put lights inside them so the whole army glowed like they were made of fire. Having played around with resin casting, I'd have to say it's a little time consuming to use on a whole army so it's better sticking to the odd bit here or there, like Morefangdakka said.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 06:45 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

I agree your better off just sucking it up and paying for the models, hey there is always Ebay

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 06:57 PM

Kitsunex's Flag is: USA

i seem to remember a couple years back someone had a thread on here where he was casting his own IG army because they don't make the figs any longer, seemed rather time consuming and not really worth it IMO.

Currently Running:ORKS! The Ringmasta Skullsmasha is bringin the WAUGHHHH!

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 07:28 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

I haven't got a clue how much it will cost, but I want to point out that once you've complete and painted the army then nobody's going to know that you resin cast them unless you tell them or they hold the models and notice they're lighter than normal (I don't really see that happening) and you could deny it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-11, 10:58 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

maybe you would just be better off not starting the hobby again, if your worried about the cost the cheapest way is not to bother, if you are asking about casting to save money i think its safe to say your not gonna be sculpting your own models,people dont decide to sculpt an army to "save money"

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-02-11, 04:12 AM

Nicholas Hadrian's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
maybe you would just be better off not starting the hobby again, if your worried about the cost the cheapest way is not to bother, if you are asking about casting to save money i think its safe to say your not gonna be sculpting your own models,people dont decide to sculpt an army to "save money"
Not to offend, while it seems to be fairly true, coming out of your mouth considering your name and the site you're advertising for it sounds kinda suspicious.

Veiw my Blood Ravens army in army showcase!

Do you ever go into a fight thinking there's no point giving my best, I'll get another chance later? We only ever get one shot, Marlin. Life is one shot. Making it count is all that matters.
+++ Skold Greypelt of the Space Wolves on Shadrac to Sergeant Marlin of the Xth Slavok Regiment +++

Show me a fortress and I'll show you a ruin.
+++ Captain Eddan Bourne, No. 2 Assault Company, Silver Skulls +++
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-02-11, 07:19 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Hadrian View Post
Not to offend, while it seems to be fairly true, coming out of your mouth considering your name and the site you're advertising for it sounds kinda suspicious.
not exactly sure why my post reads suspicious, as your a newer member i will explain my thinking, we have lots of people who come to heresy who complain about the prices, but those people are already collecting and gaming, if however you are at the gate and the entry price is too much then sometimes its just better to turn around and get back in the car.

sculpting a viable army and casting it up for play is folly,firstly there is the time and expense not to mention needing the ability to do it, i have tried to sculpt and its hard and takes time and required skill and practice to produce anything remotely resembling a model,casting models is an expensive and time consuming pass time too,making moulds ,casting them etc.

and then assuming a person is capable enough to produce an army whos he gonna play? if the models are sculpts of GW models and are identifiable as such he might be ok at a private club but GW stores are gonna knock him back.

and as with any time anyone asks about "casting" to save money you have to ask, is this person genuinely talking about casting models they have sculpted or are we helping someone produce counterfeit models ?

hopefully this sheds some light on my thought process and puts your suspicious mind at ease, yes i sell bits and other things related to the hobby, (including casting resin if i choose to) but i was a 14 year old when i got into warhammer 40k 22 years ago, so please understand i wear two hats around the forum.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Modelling and Painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode